scotth

How Hot Is Too Hot to Play?

Golf in the Heat  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How hot is too hot to play golf (Fahrenheit)?

92 posts / 10496 viewsLast Reply

Another thread bump. 

I’ll be teeing off tomorrow at 2pm here in Houston, and will be walking. 92 is the high, and 40% humidity expected (actually pretty darn low). Will be interesting as usually a tee time like that on the summer is cartball for me. Gonna have to really hydrate in advance and while out there. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is this for walking?  If riding a cart, I can play even at 105 + heat, which I have in AZ.

I’ve never thought that it was too hot to go out and play...

...I’ve occasionally thought that it was too hot to have gone out to play.  :8)

Generally, 100° and humid is about that point.  In the desert, heat was never an issue.  I very seldom walk any more though, regardless of temperature.  

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I’ve never thought that it was too hot to go out and play...

...I’ve occasionally thought that it was too hot to have gone out to play.  :8)  

Well said

I just don't ever really experience 105-degree heat, so I'm staying away from that one. Other than that, I'll be on the course if I can.

Paying for cart fees isn't my bag, but over 90 degrees is where the idea of hoofing it gets a whole lot less appealing. Whipping around in a cart makes the heat much easier to deal with.

Walked 18 Tuesday. High 80s, with high humidity. Very uncomfortable. Not too hot to play, but just about too hot to walk.

Florida native so I didn't vote. With that being said I haven't walked a full 18 in a long time so I guess being on the cart and getting that breeze while driving has always been enough for me.

I walked & carried for 18 holes several years ago when it was around 103 and humid. I wanted to see what it was like.  It was not impossible to play but frankly, it was pretty darn uncomfortable. I can play in high heat but given a choice, I would probably wait for slightly cooler temps.

You should include dew point in this. Arizona in the summer isn't terrible if you have any sort of breeze. Florida in the summer can feel much worse. 

I voted 100 degrees. I've played multiple rounds in the 90's before, waling, and its not bad with adequate precautions. 

90 F. But the forecast sometimes says 85 F and I'll go play. If that's the case and it's 83 when I get to the course I'll ride because it'll be topping 90 by the time I get to the back 9. Don't forget it's hotter in the sun.

i was the lone vote for 85. But then I read @Drv4show's post and kinda want to change my vote.

I won't walk if it's 85 or higher. But I'd still be willing to play and ride at 100+ if I have enough cool wet towels on me.

Edited by bones75

53 minutes ago, bones75 said:

i was the lone vote for 85. But then I read @Drv4show's post and kinda want to change my vote.

I won't walk if it's 85 or higher. But I'd still be willing to play and ride at 100+ if I have enough cool wet towels on me.

I grew up in St. Louis and then lived in Miami.  85 to 95 degrees along with the same numbers for humidity was not a big deal then.  Though I tended to play in the mornings... and did carry my own (rather heavy) bag for 18 holes.  Now, I'll take 75 degrees and a push cart and call it good.

Over 85 degrees I'll sit on my shady patio and have a cold one.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I think there needs to be an age component attached to this question. When I was young and strong, the temp and humidity didn't matter a bit! I could power through. The only thought I had about the heat was that it made the ball fly real good! 

19 hours ago, David in FL said:

I really want to hear from whoever voted that 80° was too hot...  😱

Probably a Canadian. They're all ice heads up there! And they like hockey.

9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Probably a Canadian. They're all ice heads up there! And they like hockey.

You can actually see who voted for what by clicking on the little head & shoulders beneath/beside the temperature category in the results.  It was the "Recreational Golfer" who hails from Oregon.  

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On 6/11/2020 at 10:19 AM, pganapathy said:

It is never too hot to play

This.

I'm not happy....we've had a cold, windy and WET June....it's like playing golf in the winter here.....yesterday....standing water on the entire course, no roll out and a balmy 55*F....WTF...has summer bypassed us?...so much for global warming...ugh.