IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Then again, Tom Watson did finish 2nd at Turnberry at 59, so you never know what can happen out there.

Now seems as good a time as any to repeat what Stewart Cink said on Letterman shortly after that win: "Even I was rooting for Tom Watson"

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So what is the purpose of that ball behind the alignment stick on Hoffman's driving video? Is it to ensure a relatively straight take away on the backswing?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Yukari said:

So what is the purpose of that ball behind the alignment stick on Hoffman's driving video? Is it to ensure a relatively straight take away on the backswing?

Or something on the downswing, possibly including having the driver pass over the ball, or outside the ball… or (unlikely) inside the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Or something on the downswing, possibly including having the driver pass over the ball, or outside the ball… or (unlikely) inside the ball.

I thought of that as well, but I have a hard time seeing the club travel during the downswing.  Maybe that is why my swing goes south sometimes.  🙄

Don

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I thought of that as well, but I have a hard time seeing the club travel during the downswing.  Maybe that is why my swing goes south sometimes.  🙄

You can see the blur, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can see the blur, no?

Sometimes.  More often than not, I really can't say.  I think that is part of my problem when the swing goes south.  I am trying to see where the ball is going a fraction before the impact - causing all kinds of swing problems.  I have been working on trying to see the club path travel well until after the impact.  But old habits are hard to break during a round.

Back to the topic...  I hope Tiger does well at the Open.  I see this as his best chance at contending in a Major this year.

But I would also love to see Fowler win his first major.

Don

What a great tournament this should be. I hope it’s not a birdie fest. I’m sure distance control is difficult with the roll they’re getting out there. I agree on Fowler. Would be nice for him to get that monkey off his back. But Fleetwood, Noren And Leishman have good games for this course. But pulling for Tiger of course.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Ha ha. Has to be a joke. Photoshopped and that's Bones. Plus it's cold there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No stinkin' beanie bags at Shinnecock. Poppycock.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

22 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Some of the things I'm hearing are ridiculous.

1) Dustin Johnson hit a 4-iron and a wedge into a par-5????

2) Brandt Snedeker hit his drive on the 491-yard par 4 into the Barry Burn, which is 450 yards from the tee.

3) Bubba Watson hit a 3-wood on the 410 yard 7th and the ball went over the green?

Heard Sergio say today that if the wind doesn't blow, you could be hitting a wedge into more than 2/3 of these greens. Couple that with soft greens and barely any rough, and you could see some really low scores out there this week if a player gets on and the wind doesn't blow.

Many years ago my buddy and I went to play a course we were not that familiar with in the middle of one of the worse droughts we've ever seen. On a 360 yard par 4 he ran a ball right through the foursome in front of us who were putting!

When you are driving on blacktop, it's not that hard to do!

14 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Please oh please be windy!

And let the greens dry out as well! Give them just enough water to keep them alive! This could really be fun!

Steve

Shades of John Ball.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Looking forward to it this year. With the weather we've had these last few weeks the fairways are baked hard and dry. Tiger apparently hit his 3 iron 333 yards thanks to the amount of bounce and roll they are getting of the fairways. Long irons may be a good play this week if the rain stays away.

Looking at the guys on the range this morning on the news it looked like there was a fairly stiff breeze to keep things interesting.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Would have liked to have seen them dry the greens out a little more. I think that's the factor that may make this course a pitch and putt, which worries me. I mean the recipe is there for some insanely low scoring. The superintendent interviewed said the course is playing at around 6500 with all the roll. 6500 with soft greens and no rough? I mean, I know it's Carnoustie, but that's crazy. The wind, of course, is the x-factor that could change things. Looks like the guys going tomorrow late will get the worst of it the first two days.

The good news is when conditions have been like this before, the leaderboard usually brings out the best players to the top. Of the driest recent Opens, the 2003 leaderboard at St. George's was amazing with the exception of Ben Curtis (who ended up winning). 2006 at Hoylake had a very impressive leaderboard which Tiger won. 2013 at Muirfield to this day may have been the most impressive leaderboard I ever saw at the end. So you may see the big boys at the top this week.

Edited by ChrisP

I like this album that shows you the more mundane parts of the course.

This is just weird

Oh my gawd, chocolate! They make it better in Europe.

u4ZejX8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

What was Henrik's stats on the final round 2 years ago? (He and Phil that day, best golf ever IMO)  something like 11 of 14 Fairways and 16 of 18 GIR?  I'm setting that bar out there and hoping someone gives a show like that.

If it's playing long, the FH might be in jeopardy, but maybe someone can take a stab at the GIR stat......

It's fun watch players struggle on tough layouts, but it's also fun to watch near perfection too sometimes, especially if it's not a cakewalk layout.

Bill - 

Rory!

...  I hope.  but, outlook not great.   otherwise, maybe Tyrell Hatton..  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Rahm is actually my prediction to win this week, but I think Pieters could be the big Euro sleeper. I think you're going to see the bombers have a big week. Seriously, all they have to do is take out a driver and then play pitch and putt on almost 11 or 12 of these holes. Until Sunday, at least, when the heavy British Open winds are predicted to arrive.

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!