IGNORED

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil Showdown for $9M

jimnm
Note: This thread is 1940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Overheard this but wasn't watching. I remember during one Open Championship, Woods teed it up a little higher on a par 3 and flagged it. I believe it was a 9 iron. 

That's crazy high....that's like where I tee it for my 3 wood

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, yankee777 said:

Did they actually pay Natalie Gulbis?  Talk about obvious token eye candy.

Darn it ,I missed that.Didn't get to see any till last hole of regulation and the extra holes since I watched free.Read on here about it being free.Sad part is there's no other 2 golfers that you get get and have people pay to see.All these good players can't stack up against legends.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Darn it ,I missed that.Didn't get to see any till last hole of regulation and the extra holes since I watched free.Read on here about it being free.Sad part is there's no other 2 golfers that you get get and have people pay to see.All these good players can't stack up against legends.

I think Reed v. Spieth would draw some viewers. 🙂

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think Reed v. Spieth would draw some viewers. 🙂

I could see something like this coming in the future...random ‘head to head’ matches. Not sure if they’d need to be PPV as not all would draw such attention (although I agree with your Reed vs Spieth). Might be something the players do themselves which I guess wouldn’t thrill the PGA Tour. Just an idea. You’re much more up on the business side of this. Do you see anything like this coming?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

19 hours ago, iacas said:

🤦‍♂️

So was he.

Dude, you're new, and you're throwing shade.

He has a point: you felt it was a waste of time, and not worth $20 for five hours of entertainment, but you're on here wasting your time commenting on it.

Yeah. And "paper view"? I hope that was an intentional play on words.

Didn't you say earlier that Tiger and Phil own the company that produced this? If so, they will obviously want do more. Maybe it will be a PPV version of something like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.

I know, I'm old!

And that pic of Phiger Mickelwoods is just downright scary!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Refunds for some. 

• Like 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This was a mess.

I had no intention of ever paying the $20 having no interest and feeling it was more the golf equivalent of the WWE than real golf. Once I saw it was actually free on my tablet, I only watched a couple of holes here and there. I did manage to catch the 17th hole and the first playoff hole being busy with visiting grandchildren who were much, much more entertaining to watch than Tiger & Phil were. And once I saw the stupid setup for the playoff, I turned the whole thing off entirely, and forgot about it, not finding out who won until the middle of the next day (today.)

TIger and Phil both looked like they knew that neither had their "A" games. Nor did they have their "B" or "C" games either for that matter so from a "quality golf" perspective, I think it was a bust but again, I didn't see much. The announcers were just plain annoying. They wouldn't shut up and let the broadcast breathe. And why was Samuel L. Jackson even there? Natalie Gulbis looked like she had a rough night, if you catch my drift. She looks less and less like eye candy every time I see her now. With Turner Broadcasting offering a refund now, it looks like if was bust for them too.

All in all, Shells Wonderful World of Golf, with their one announcer, Gene Sarazen for color and maybe at the most a couple of film cameras covering each hole did a far superior job of conveying a golf match to a television audience than this disaster. 

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

56 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Refunds for some. 

I’m already getting the run around about a refund. I really don’t care but I wish they’d just say yeah ....you’re not getting one.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

I don’t need a refund. I’ll take one if offered but I got what I paid for. So I’m good.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don’t need a refund. I’ll take one if offered but I got what I paid for. So I’m good.

Yeah I’m ok with it. The website gave me a notification so I followed it to a dead end. I’m leaving it at that.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, mighty said:

Still no replays or highlights on the internet, except a one or two shots of the par 3 and Phil's winning putt, WTF

It WAS PPV…

Been reading and listening to some reviews about the match. I get some of the negative points but all in all I think the Match was great! Just seeing two legends plot it out at Shadow Creek was nice. Even though it wasn't a birdie fest, the back nine wast entertaining. My only negative would be the length of the match and maybe some unnecessary commentary to fill in air time. 

I enjoyed it, worth the money.  I was a little annoyed by the announcers ... since everyone was miked up it got to be too much when the announcers, Phil and Tiger were all carrying on their separate conversations.  I could have done without the announcers altogether.  Agree that something like Reed V. Spieth would probably be more fun to watch.

47 minutes ago, Eric C said:

I enjoyed it, worth the money.  I was a little annoyed by the announcers ... since everyone was miked up it got to be too much when the announcers, Phil and Tiger were all carrying on their separate conversations.  I could have done without the announcers altogether.  Agree that something like Reed V. Spieth would probably be more fun to watch.

There was one late hole where Tiger was talking with Phil's brother/caddy and the announcers talked over it! They were both laughing and I wanted to hear if Tiger was trying to get dirt on Phil as a kid stories or something fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It wasn't terribly fun, but I watched the whole thing (change of mind when i'm sitting at home and completely bored).  Like any tournament, you hope you are lucky that your player will have an "on" day and neither really did.  Unlike any tournament, if your guy(s) doesn't, hopefully someone from the other 120 guys or more will and it'll still be fun.  It's a lot to ask for - having 2 specific guys, no matter how great, to be 'on' a specific day.  It's golf.

I was hoping to hear a lot more of the player/caddie discussions to see what they talk about and learn from that.  But it was pretty minimal, or covered up with the weak color commentary.  Barkley needs to just shred someone someday, it has to get old being the butt of the same tired old jokes all the time - it's terribly old hearing it all the time.

the short playoff holes did have a feel of hitting a few 'extras' after the bar stop.  they really should have ordered a couple beers out to the tee at that point

Phil wins the toss, the match, the net side bets.  Good, his personality was about what you need for this event, Tiger not compatible really.

The 2nd or 3rd playoff hole - Phil didn't want to win on a Tiger bogie and gave the (not a gimme) putt to play again.  That was generous and kind of cool - they did stay pretty even in how they gave and took, but that one was above and beyond....  I kind of thought Tiger would give the final putt (for the win) to Phil in return - but then again, I'm sure he realized that Phil would want to putt for the win too.

cool looking course -  I wouldn't watch one again now

I wonder just how many of those two face poker chips exist?

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I didn't watch this, and never really planned to once it turned out to be a $20 PPV, but was the production really as bad as it seemed from reading on golf Twitter? They were complaining about pretty much everything (although the most complaints were about talking over Tiger/Phil/caddies). I think there was a lot of hope that this production would be unique and less like a CBS broadcast, so maybe it was complaints that it turned out to be a pretty rote broadcast. Thoughts from people that watched it?

55 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Like any tournament, you hope you are lucky that your player will have an "on" day and neither really did.  Unlike any tournament, if your guy(s) doesn't, hopefully someone from the other 120 guys or more will and it'll still be fun.  It's a lot to ask for - having 2 specific guys, no matter how great, to be 'on' a specific day.  It's golf.

This is a really good point, and it's something that turned me off to this format from the beginning. First of all, having two guys bring their A-games at the same time is going to be tough, even for guys as talented as Phil and Tiger. When you add in that it's the off season and neither of them is really playing that much right now, it's even less likely. Phil won't tee it up in another tournament until mid-January. Tiger has his event soon, but then won't play again until Torrey. Not the recipe for the best golf. It's also not like the stakes really matter to them at all, either. $9 million is almost a rounding error for both them.

An interesting article on all of this: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-the-match-beganand-where-it-might-lead. Reads like a too many cooks in the kitchen deal:

Steinberg said each player is limited to a handful of challenges, partly because of “parameters” set by the PGA Tour, which, of course, owns the media rights for this kind of special event and determines many of the facets of the final presentation. As a point of clarification, Turner paid the rights fee to Mickelson and Woods, and their joint entity, in a separate deal, paid a fee to the tour.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!