IGNORED

Pros and cons of lining your putts up instead of using feel?

Hayden888
Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The majority of putts (really all putts outside of tap in) come down to three things. Read, Bead, and speed. 

I don’t understand the comparison of lining up putts and feel. 

I feel the slope of the green with my feet (aimpoint express), I Line up with the intended target line of the putt and then use my “feel”for speed control to get the putt started on that intended line with the proper amount of speed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

The majority of putts (really all putts outside of tap in) come down to three things. Read, Bead, and speed. 

I don’t understand the comparison of lining up putts and feel. 

I feel the slope of the green with my feet (aimpoint express), I Line up with the intended target line of the putt and then use my “feel”for speed control to get the putt started on that intended line with the proper amount of speed. 

I have no choice. I have zero sense of feel unless it’s blatantly obvious. But I do think if I went through the lab with @iacas he would not only see I’m one of the worse putters he’s ever come across, but he would also uncover a glaring perception/visual/dominant eye issue that would probably be quite revolutionary for me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I also don't quite get the question. 

Every putting stroke should hit the ball in a predictable straight line. Gravity and green will or can alter that roll. 

I use the line on my ball to help me make sure that I am lined up in the direction I think. Then i focus on a speed and hit the putt.

I don't know if that is feel or not?

17 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I have no choice. I have zero sense of feel unless it’s blatantly obvious. But I do think if I went through the lab with @iacas he would not only see I’m one of the worse putters he’s ever come across, but he would also uncover a glaring perception/visual/dominant eye issue that would probably be quite revolutionary for me.

Yeah but I don’t see the two things being comparable. You can have fantastic “feel” and still line up your putts with your intended line. Some players hit the putt to a spot between the hole and the ball in their target line, others line the logo or brand of the ball with their ball and their intended target line. But none of this correlates to my understanding of what “feel” is. I would think feel is the ability to know how hard to hit the ball on whatever target like you have chosen (lined up or not) in order to have the ball stay on that intended line throughout the putt. I have nothing against lining up putts with your target, just don’t think it corresponds to “feel”. 

HJJ

I agree. I use the line to help ensure my alignment and then I putt to a spot on that line. I the only way I can imagine not putting by feel would be to pace off the putt, correlate that to a stroke distance, correct for slope and grain and speed, then "measure" that stroke length. 

My head hurts even thinking about it.

• Upvote 1

I would recommend lining up the putt to the intended start line. It takes out a lot of manipulation of the putter needed to push or pull the putts on the line you want if you didn't. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hours ago, criley4way said:

HJJ

I agree. I use the line to help ensure my alignment and then I putt to a spot on that line. I the only way I can imagine not putting by feel would be to pace off the putt, correlate that to a stroke distance, correct for slope and grain and speed, then "measure" that stroke length. 

My head hurts even thinking about it.

That is pretty much what I do, and its not that difficult.  I know my backswing length for various lengths of putts (I focus on baselining this on the practice green before the round).  I pace every putt off.  I adjust that distance based on what I feel the putt will do (i.e. uphill, add distance).  Then I try to visualize the line I need to be on and try to start the ball on that line.  It is not very scientific but it works for me. With this method, my distance control is the best part of my putting.  Where I struggle is in seeing the break in a green.  

All my putts, after my read, are rolled on a straight line, to a point, that may, or may not be the hole. That point of aim depends on where my ball lies, in relation to the fall line, if there is one. 

If there is a feel part, then for me, it is how hard I hit the putt for the distance required. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Why not both?
As others have stated - IMO, speed is a matter of feel, but reading the break and getting a target point are part of lining up the putt. I can't imagine just stepping over a ball and putting by feel alone without reading the slope both visually and by walking the intended path (which is really feel as well).

By understanding the 3 elements of putting (as listed above - Bead, Read & Speed), it is easier to work on one component if you are struggling with putting.

Players play, tough players win!

If I have something that I can use as a target for where I want to start the ball, I got a fighting chance.

When it's going well, I see not only a target but an actual line (like they got on TV) all the way to the hole.

When it's going badly, I see an expanse of uniform green. Then, I'm just guessing.

These are not mutually exclusive for any aspect of putting.  Mechanics and feels are never mutually exclusive in any aspect of this game.

I really can't imagine ANY scenario, outside a tap in, where one doesn't assess the putt and estimates a line to some extent - even if it's just as one walks up to the putt.  I also can't imagine ANY scenario where a bit of feel on how to execute a putt isn't applied either.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I really don’t enjoy putting, so on putts outside of 4 feet I just step behind the ball, glance at the hole, get a “feel” for how it breaks, and go.

This approach does not work very well and I am a decidedly mediocre putter. It probably costs me 3 strokes per round, maybe more.

So I would recommend lining up your putts for best results. Don’t be like me.

This is kind of an odd question for me, does the OP just walk up and hit the putt? Do you stand behind it at all, to gauge the break or anything? I can't imagine just walking up to the side of a putt, taking a wild guess at my line, and hitting my putt. 

Although, as I and several others have said in the past, using the line on the ball is useless as its nearly impossible to get it aimed correctly. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

20 hours ago, Hayden888 said:

I’m just interested on how many people line up their putts and who putt based on feel? 

Everything we do on the green is by feel - we can't go out there with measuring devices and mark out where we want to hit the putt. You read the green and you try to hit your line at the desired speed. Even if you "line up" the putt, you're still putting by feel.

So I'm a little confused. Do you mean by feel that you don't read the putt? I don't think I've ever seen anybody do that. Even when I don't read my putt (I use AimPoint), I'm still using different cues to get a rough idea of how the putt will behave.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!