IGNORED

How Do You Add Up Your Score?

jamo
Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Level 4s. Very fast. Especially for better players.

When I'm scoring for college events, some of the players I do level 5s.

I forget where I got this from, but it might have been from you.

I also do level 5s.  Worked great as an 18 handicap.  I still try to show it off to people in my club when I see them adding the normal "add these numbers" way. 

Now that I'm scoring mid-80s a bit more, it's still fine.  At some point I might switch to level 4s.

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That is awesome because I had no idea anybody out there did it EXACTLY the same way I did. 🙂

I think a lot of engineers do this.  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I'm playing solo I like to just keep a mental note how many over PAR(or under PAR if I'm on fire usually not for long)...usually put it down on the card a few times then just work off that to keep tabs on how I'm traveling goal, of course, is to beat my course HC 

I find its great to add pressure to a solo game .. I beat my Course HC I Win Over it I Lose 

Go Foxy Go

I make a dot for a pars, write the number over par only for bogeys or worse, or the number under par and circle it for birdies or better.  It is really fast to add up the score but if the person wants the actual number called off that they made on each hole that it takes few extra seconds because you have to look at what the par for the hole was to call it out. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Try the level 4s (or 5s) method.

Give it a little effort and practice. It's pretty fast itself, especially if you get a lot of 4s.

Par is irrelevant. 9 "4"s is 36. Done.

So… this is also easy:

4 4 5 4 4 3 4 5 3

(BTW I also cancel out 5s if they're beside a 3, because that's the same as 4/4). So in reading that one I'd go +1… E…done.

That could work, too. Just tried it and it's pretty simple, though my game is so erratic I had to use 5s for the front and 4s on the back :whistle:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

As a follow up, what do you do if someone else is keeping score along with you, and comes up with a different number?  For instance, you added. them up as 43, the other guy comes up with 44. My first check, I count the odd numbers.  An even number of odds results in a even total, odd number of odds gives an odd total.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As a follow up, what do you do if someone else is keeping score along with you, and comes up with a different number?  For instance, you added. them up as 43, the other guy comes up with 44. My first check, I count the odd numbers.  An even number of odds results in a even total, odd number of odds gives an odd total.

I haven't run into this much as I don't play tournaments, but the first thing I usually do is make sure we have the same numbers written down. After that I just recount the total.

Counting odd numbers seems like a pretty good shortcut.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

True, but as a reminder...

In a tournament, you’re only responsible for writing down the correct number on each hole.  The total is somewhat irrelevant.  

If your marker has a hole incorrect, and simply changes the final score to reflect the correct total, you stand a good chance of signing an incorrect scorecard.  If there’s a disparity, you really need to go hole by hole to resolve it...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 minutes ago, David in FL said:

True, but as a reminder...

In a tournament, you’re only responsible for writing down the correct number on each hole.  The total is somewhat irrelevant.  

If your marker has a hole incorrect, and simply changes the final score to reflect the correct total, you stand a good chance of signing an incorrect scorecard.  If there’s a disparity, you really need to go hole by hole to resolve it...

Absolutely agree.  Most times, I check a front 9 score after 9, and the total score after 18.  If we both agree on the totals, chances are that the individual hole scores are correct as well.  But yes, in a tournament I keep one of my FC's score, and I keep my own too.  I do check individual hole scores, the total is just one more check point in the process.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Absolutely agree.  Most times, I check a front 9 score after 9, and the total score after 18.

I don’t bother with that and think it’s a tiny waste of time. But I never add up the score ever anyway so… I know what I’m at. Couldn’t care less about the other guy except hole by hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I add up scores on cards with these methods: Abacus, or on very bad days, a slide rule!  Actually, just add left to right. Have not played a tourney since 1979.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 8/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, jamo said:

Slightly inspired by this thread, but mostly by what I see at the end of men’s league matches: how do you add up your score?

I see three main options:

• Just add the raw numbers. 3+4+5...
  • Add up each hole’s score to par hole-by-hole and then add that to the course’s par at the end.  1+2-1+...+71
  • Add up each hole’s score to 4 then add that to 72 (or 36). 0+1-1+2+72

I used to do the first (and everyone I see at the end of matches either that or the second one), but my high school golf coach taught us the third method, and that has really stuck. It’s by far the quickest and easiest and involves the least mental math. It tends to be weird to try to explain it to people though. 

Just the numbers.  Never done it any other way and never seen anyone else do it any other way.  Why complicate it?  I took 6 strokes, I write down a 6 - it doesn't get any simpler.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Just the numbers.  Never done it any other way and never seen anyone else do it any other way.  Why complicate it?  I took 6 strokes, I write down a 6 - it doesn't get any simpler.  

You didn't read the question.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Parity is an excellent way to check if we're looking for a total.  My club asks us to verify hole-by-hole after 9 and 18 in tournaments, so we gotta do that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, Fourputt said:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You didn't read the question.

Yeah.  @Fourputt, OP is asking what you do next.  We assume you write the numbers down for the sake of this thread, but he's asking how you add them up.

(The different answers all interest me and it's partially because I'm trying to consider different ways of teaching simple math to my little ones.  I like hearing exactly what goes through peoples head as they do math) :)

I simply keep track of how many over or under par I am.  I will write the scores down if I'm playing with someone, but honestly I don't need the card.  I pretty much always know what my score is, even if I wish I didn't sometimes.  For someone else's score I do the same, use how many over par they are to get their final number.

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

12 hours ago, DrMJG said:

I add up scores on cards with these methods: Abacus, or on very bad days, a slide rule!  Actually, just add left to right. Have not played a tourney since 1979.

Ironically, that is the last year I used a slide rule. We were the last class in my High School to learn how. The following year, we did it in college as an exercise.

All these methods sound interesting. I will try to 4s method, but I also like just putting 0, 1, 2 for par, bogey, double.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!