IGNORED

How Often Should You Change a Putter?

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing with the same putter for about 15 years.  Is there a reason to change if I putt moderately well with it?  Have there been any advances in technology that make it worthwhile to change?

Thanks in advance.

If a golfer is comfortable, and confident with their putter, they should not change. That is unless they try one out, and find that new putter gives them more comfort/confidence than their regular gamer. 

I just switched from a putter I used for 20+ years, only because it became damaged, and was unrepairable. I replaced it with another old putter I have had for at least 15 years. 

• Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to How Often Should You Change a Putter?
  • Administrator

I've not changed putters in the last eight years.

Mine, too, is an Edel. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If the putter is working it can last forever.  That said, in the 10 years I've been playing I would say most of the real advances have been in mallet putters to allow greater consistency on mishits.  So if you want a mallet, newer technology might be out there to help.

I agree. If it's working for you, why change? But, there's always the possibility that something better could come along. Keep your eyes open.

Since I don't play for a living, I refuse to drop tons of money on putters, or any other club for that matter. My current putter, that replaced maybe a 40 year old Pal Joey, is an Odyssey White Hot #6 Long Neck that I traded a TM A wedge for. I replaced the grip with something that better fit my hands, and I just love it! It's not how it swings or anything else, it's how it helps me line up the putt. 

Like most have said, if it aint broke dont fix it.

That being said, if you do "break" it or damage it then a new putter is on the cards. I've known people who still play the same putter they started with 20-30 years ago.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I hope to not change putters, but I do on occasion if one goes cold. I normally don't buy a new one though, I have a rotation.  Since I went to the claw grip I have putted extremely well, so I hope to not have to change for a long time!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I haven't changed putters in over I think 5 years. I also have an Edel Putter.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have changed grips, but I am using the same two putters I have had for 5 years.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I’ve played the same putter for over 10 years.  I have no intention of changing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

As if on cue this week's Gold Digest podcast (on the "Hot List") has a very brief discussion on advances in putter technology where they say the big advances have been in making mallets feel and be able to be swung like blades but retain mallet mishit qualities.

FWIW I'm an above average putter who goes back and forth between a blade and a mid-mallet.  I've considered buying a mallet to take advantage of the new tech and so that I would have the option of all 3 types.  Just haven't decided on which mallet to buy.

Hi. This is my first post; just signed up to the SandTrap. I was talking to the professional at my club about putters only yesterday: he said he is regularly in disbelief by members who come into the pro shop, pick up an expensive putter , have a couple of successful putts across the floor and think their putting is suddenly going to be transformed !! As the pro said, it’s not the ‘putter’ (club), it’s the ‘Putter’ (golfer) which is the problem!

Ping G30 driver & 22deg hybrid; Ping i210 5 -W; Ping 52deg + 60deg Wedges; Odyssey 3300 Putter 

I've had my Cameron Tei3 Newport for years and putt great with it.  I did pick up an Anser2 milled a couple years ago and started using that.  I think if you can keep the same style putter but upgrade to something with newer and proven technology than that's a good thing as long as it works for u.  I putt the same with both but like the feeling from Scotty better.

The Scotty will always stay.  If I could find a reasonably priced Scotty Studio Style Newport I would trade the Ping for it.  

Unless you're one-putting everything it's worth looking around I think. I had a Rosa for over 10 years then I talked my wife into getting me a Piretti for my birthday and it's been better in every way. My first putt in a game was 15 ft sidehill and down and it dropped dead center and I was draining putts all day. Gave the Rosa away after that.

It's worth mentioning that a few weeks after getting it I used it to win a Scotty at a charity tournament so it would have paid for itself if I'd consider selling the Scotty. It does look really good under the bed though so I guess I'll keep them both. Along with the Craz-e, Scotty Studio Select Fastback and Newport, Odyssey White Hot Pro. Anyway, you get the idea.

Putters, hmmm, I have a garage full of them even a Ping D60 where you can change weights in the bottom, to an old Ping which I'm told dates from around 1973. However a couple of years ago I purchased a Piretti, as did StuHouston above, and never looked back. Mine is the Teramo 365g, 34" putter and I love it. It will stay in my bag for a long time, I don't even look at putters anymore.

Now I do not recommend what I did. I was searching the web and came across their site. I purchased the Piretti without even trying it, (I had money back then before I retired). It just turned out that that putter was for me, it fit my eye, feel, etc. I have a lot of confidence with it now and my putting is much improved, especially on distance control.

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!