iacas

2019 Newport Cup at The Arroyo Club, Sponsored by VUGA

118 posts / 16238 viewsLast Reply

Oh, it has nothing to do with being private, not wanting to be seen, or anything like that.  My aversion is just based on my inability to make a video, much less edit it, like I have seen some in the 2017 applications...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If it would help I can have my own "She...." talk to yours.  When I was a little uncertain in 2015, she let me know that I BETTER accept the invitation.  Just one reason we're still together for our 35th year.

Well, the boss is onboard. 

We will have to do some arranging and all. Knowing the dates will help. But as of now I'm interested in applying. 

2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Oh, it has nothing to do with being private, not wanting to be seen, or anything like that.  My aversion is just based on my inability to make a video, much less edit it, like I have seen some in the 2017 applications...

Nothing to worry about, I knew absolutely nothing about video stuff prior to my own application a couple of years ago.  Lots of the others were better, for sure, but I was pretty pleased with the end product.

2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Great. We aren't looking for your video editing skills. Anything reasonably well cobbled together is fine.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Nothing to worry about, I knew absolutely nothing about video stuff prior to my own application a couple of years ago.  Lots of the others were better, for sure, but I was pretty pleased with the end product.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Great. We aren't looking for your video editing skills. Anything reasonably well cobbled together is fine.

Alright. You guys asked for it!  It will be a challenge for sure (probably greater than the golf part)...  :whistle:

6 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I edited my entire submission in youtube itself last time. It was a bit of a pain, but it was fine. It definitely wasn't polished by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I had a blast in the 2015 Newport Cup, and found it to be a great blend of competitive golf and camaraderie. Erik and Mike spent a lot of time and preparation to make sure it was really a first class event.

I'd love to participate again at some point down the line, but I'm afraid 2019 may not be the year for me. I spent most of my "golf capital" (both financial and intangible) on a four day trip to Bandon Dunes, Oregon last month - which was amazing in it's own right.

That said, you never know how things will shake out, so I'll keep an eye on this thread and may even toss in an application when the time comes for that. 

I added myself in! Not entirely sure I'll be able to go (I've got a few other vacations planned), but I'm sure come application time my schedule will be clearer. Should be a lot of fun again!

On 2/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, saevel25 said:

The only strange one is where the Mississippi River diverges from the state border up from Minnesota and Wisconsin near Minneapolis. :-P

Topic followed, interested.   and us Minneapolis people consider ourselves in the West. 

Thanks for starting the thread @iacas

Looking forward to seeing the submissions and captaining another West Coast team 😎

On 2/12/2019 at 5:50 PM, sjduffers said:

Alright. You guys asked for it!  It will be a challenge for sure (probably greater than the golf part)...  :whistle:

👍

12 hours ago, mvmac said:

Thanks for starting the thread @iacas

Looking forward to seeing the submissions and captaining another West Coast team 😎

👍

giphy.gif

Edited by lastings

As of right now only 10 people have given themselves the East Team Candidate badge/award and only five have given themselves the West Team Candidate badge/award.

https://thesandtrap.com/awards/category/2-site-awards/

Directions to do so are here:

Add the appropriate badge/award, please, as that's the easiest way for us to find people.

I have not been as active in this forum as in the past a few unfortunate events caused me to not play as much as I used to namely my course closing, but I'll see if this summer I can reestablish my index and add my name.

I was wondering about the 2019 rendition of the cup. I'll have to start filming B-roll for the Rocky style comeback training montage with the 6 inches of snow that just got dumped here locally.

One big plus, if it's in/near Las Vegas, is the very cheap flights available. I'll also finally be 21 by the time October rolls around, so when in Vegas...

7 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I'll also finally be 21 by the time October rolls around, so when in Vegas...

Golf will be the last thing on your mind!

On 3/2/2019 at 8:19 PM, DeadMan said:

Could use some more Western team candidates. @Pretzel @phillyk @mchepp @Golfingdad

I threw my hat in the ring. If I am honest I would rather see some of the other folks on here get to play in it. It is such a blast that everyone who wants a shot should absolutely get one. I'll do the work to get my submission in, but I'm hopeful there are tons of worthy candidates and I can enjoy seeing some of the other great members on here get a chance to play. 

That said, I may still go for a day to watch. It is such a great competition that I may come just to watch, take photos, post what's happening on the site. Like @RandallT did in 2017. Vegas is an easy flight.