IGNORED

What would you have done?

3jacker
Note: This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday afternoon, I headed to my course to get in some range time and then short game practice.  When I arrived at the dedicated chipping/pitching/bunker shot green, I found a guy chipping and he had, literally, several hundred range balls scattered all over the surface of the green (and beyond).  It looked like a major hail storm had hit. He would stab a dozen toward one pin, then pick another and go at it.  Never picked up the first ball.  His supply was coming from one of those 10-gal or so sized buckets used by "serious" players.  Picture this, except covering an entire 1/2 acre practice green:

spacer.png

It was an amazing display of lack of self-awareness and common etiquette, coupled with the most horrid chipping I'd ever seen.

What would you have done?  I'll tell you what I did (and it got interesting) after I hear a few responses...

Edited by 3jacker

I would have nicely asked if he minded if I chipped/pitched to one of the pins.

Assuming he said he didn't mind, then I would have cleared the balls between that pin and the area I intended to pitch/chip from and proceeded to chip and pitch like usual. I usually only chip with 3-4 balls and they're usually my gamers so if one did happen to go too far and got mixed with his, I would just walk up and pick it up as soon as I hit it so there wouldn't be any confusion.

Now if he said that he did mind or had issue sharing the green/area with me, I just would have gone and talked to a staff member and let them handle it from there.

Edited by klineka
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would have chosen the opposite end from where he was, grabbed the ball rake, cleaned an area, and proceeded to warmup/practice.

E1P230-72-600x336.jpg

• Like 1

I'm honestly not sure what the problem is, provided there was nobody else using the practice green when you walked up.  In the past I would routinely chip half a bucket (or more if I have them) at a time, then  pick them up, cycle and repeat.  I have a ball pickerupperer for this very thing.  If I'm by myself on that chipping green, then I'm definitely going to be chipping at different locations, trying to vary my shots & distances.  As soon as someone else walks up, I immediately stop what I'm doing and clean it up for the other person, after which I'm sure we naturally relegate to our respective (and separate) targets.

The other persons actual skill at the game has no dog in this hunt, unless he's chunking them at your head.  It is practice, after all.

25 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

I would have chosen the opposite end from where he was, grabbed the ball rake, cleaned an area, and proceeded to warmup/practice.

E1P230-72-600x336.jpg

This is what I did. He freaked out of course.  I knew this might happen, as anyone weird enough to take up an entire half acre with his "practice" is probably going to take offense that I didn't say anything to him first.  I picked a hole towards a back corner, furthest from where he was currently practicing.  He said "hey, what're doing?" And then I started to get a little angry and (probably needlessly) escalated the tone.   

"Just trying to get a little space here to practice?  Do you mind if someone else uses the facility today?"  Yes, the quesion was rude/provocative, but I'm human you know? He then went into a profanity-laced tirade and stormed into the pro shop to confront the pro.  I just stood there trying to figure out what I'd walked into, or started.  5 min later he stomps out gets in his car and screeches out of there.  The pro told me the dude was certifiably insane and has been trespassed. 

I just wanted to work on my pitching.  Was hard to concentrate after that.

17 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

This is what I did. He freaked out of course.  I knew this might happen, as anyone weird enough to take up an entire half acre with his "practice" is probably going to take offense that I didn't say anything to him first.  I picked a hole towards a back corner, furthest from where he was currently practicing.  He said "hey, what're doing?" And then I started to get a little angry and (probably needlessly) escalated the tone.   

"Just trying to get a little space here to practice?  Do you mind if someone else uses the facility today?"  Yes, the quesion was rude/provocative, but I'm human you know? He then went into a profanity-laced tirade and stormed into the pro shop to confront the pro.  I just stood there trying to figure out what I'd walked into, or started.  5 min later he stomps out gets in his car and screeches out of there.  The pro told me the dude was certifiably insane and has been trespassed. 

Actually, I'm ok with what you did - I don't see your response as rude.  I love to see maniac's freak out too.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I think I knew something was off with the guy.  

One day, when I mature, maybe I'll go out of my way to keep things calm.  But I'm only 47 so I have a ways to go until then.

The important thing is I didn't do anything out of line by the standards of "normal" society.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I would have nicely asked if he minded if I chipped/pitched to one of the pins.

Assuming he said he didn't mind, then I would have cleared the balls between that pin and the area I intended to pitch/chip from and proceeded to chip and pitch like usual. I usually only chip with 3-4 balls and they're usually my gamers so if one did happen to go too far and got mixed with his, I would just walk up and pick it up as soon as I hit it so there wouldn't be any confusion.

Now if he said that he did mind or had issue sharing the green/area with me, I just would have gone and talked to a staff member and let them handle it from there.

Courteous communication and being cool wins the day.  Stop being such an adult.

Bill - 

If you went to another area and the guy nutted up......geeesh. He probably doesn't have any friends. That's why so many need safe rooms, playdough, and mommies.

Being kind and considerate is always the first option. Those that don't abide shouldn't be in this great game.

What would I have done? Don't know, but I always try to supress the redneck that is lurking just below the surface.

59 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

You're fine. It appears that there was certainly an opportunity to attempt to keep it from escalating. But, knowing what happened and what the pro said, it probably didn't matter what you did, you were going to get the same response from him.

Did you enjoy the free bucket of range balls he left for you?

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

If it were me, I'd probably have said something to the guy.

"Hey. Would it be ok if I use part of your green for a bit?"

The tone is the uncertain thing. That could come out anywhere from bemused to borderline disgusted.

Edited by mcanadiens

18 hours ago, Shooting29 said:

E1P230-72-600x336.jpg

^^^^ This ^^^^

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I may have said something before just starting to sweep the balls but the end result would be the same.  Based on the guy's reaction, i wonder if he's on the autism spectrum.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

11 minutes ago, krupa said:

I may have said something before just starting to sweep the balls but the end result would be the same.  Based on the guy's reaction, i wonder if he's on the autism spectrum.

I have noticed when the level of anger is wildly disproportionate to the situation there is something going on in that person's life that is highly stress inducing. It could be job loss, an affair,  a death, child using drugs, or it could be mental illness. To clarify, I don't think there's anything wrong with covering the green with balls if you are alone. I have done similar when alone. But, if you would have walked up on me in that situation I would have said let me clean up my mess so you have a place to chip.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, krupa said:

Based on the guy's reaction, i wonder if he's on the autism spectrum.

More likely, cranial rectalitis.......

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I would be careful of any person exhibiting an antisocial behavior.  Never know when they will go postal.  I never understood why someone would practice chipping with more than a few balls.  Usually, I only have two balls for chipping practice.  It gives me a time to think what I did right/wrong as I go get my balls.

Some people seems to chip with a large bucket and then retrieve their balls.

I rather practice correctly with fewer balls than mindlessly chipping a whole bucket.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!