IGNORED

2019 PGA Championship

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Kind of weird, I feel no compunction to attend this, I went when the last USO was held here and to Shinnecock last year. Should go at least one day though, not every day a Major is in your backyard, but just not feeling it.

I sort of feel this way about the whole tournament. It doesn't feel like a major week. Combination of it being the PGA (my least favorite major) and it being earlier than normal for the 2nd major. Normally, when the US Open rolls around, I'm chomping at the bit for another major.

Another factor is that there is no way this major will come close to this year's Masters. I guess unless Tiger wins. He won't, though.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, onthehunt526 said:

🤨 Well it's not in upstate NY but if it was at Oak Hill again it might snow... Not even a joke.

Bethpage as a par-70 is tough. There is only so much you can do to make the course yield a couple more birdies. I assume moving the tee up at 13 will be an option, as well as the front left pin at 14. But other than that you really can't do much, even moving the tee up at 6 doesn't make it drivable. I expect somewhere around 4 to 6 under to win. Not that a 63 or 64 is out of the question at the Black. But tearing it up is out of the question.

Well thats not always true. Its all about pin placement there. I played in the Met Open there like 10 years ago and though the overall scores were pretty high from what i remember, there were still guys shooting 67-68. Even on that level of play. 

4 is a easy hole for the pros and 13 is getable also even if its stretched all the way back.  2,9,14 and 18 are also good birdie holes. 

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Another factor is that there is no way this major will come close to this year's Masters. I guess unless Tiger wins. He won't, though.

paging @colin007!

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I won’t say Tiger won’t win, but of the three remaining majors this year, this would be the one I’d probably least expect him to win. Even though he’s got a good record at Bethpage, he’ll be coming in rusty, it’s a really long course and he doesn’t have the same length he used to and it’s just so darn hard to win two majors in a row. Won’t say he won’t win....I just wouldn’t bet on it. I do think he’ll be ready for Pebble, though. There I would bet him.

Edited by ChrisP

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

it’s just so darn to win two majors in a row. .

He's won two majors in a row five times though.  :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Tiger’s gonna be in your backyard and you’re not feeling it? Hide that from @colin007.

Yeah, that's just foolish talking

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

paging @colin007!

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

He's won two majors in a row five times though.  :-) 

That's just another stat in an incredible list of stats

Kids-pool-cannonball.gif

• Like 1

Colin P.

4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

he doesn’t have the same length he used to a

He’s pretty damn close isn’t he?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

FWIW, I think I am going to put down $100 on Gary Woodland at 66-1.......

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

9 hours ago, colin007 said:

Kids-pool-cannonball.gif

Dammitall @colin007 - you owe me a new monitor, because this one has diet coke all over it

I will say there is no reason Tiger can't win, there is a reason he is the (betting) favorite - but he doesn't have the course knowledge advantage at BPB that he has from years of playing ANGC, but he can certainly win (at least as of 10 days before the event starts)

Players play, tough players win!

19 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I won’t say Tiger won’t win, but of the three remaining majors this year, this would be the one I’d probably least expect him to win. Even though he’s got a good record at Bethpage, he’ll be coming in rusty, it’s a really long course and he doesn’t have the same length he used to and it’s just so darn hard to win two majors in a row. Won’t say he won’t win....I just wouldn’t bet on it. I do think he’ll be ready for Pebble, though. There I would bet him.

He's averaging around 300 yards, exactly the same as he did in the 2000's. 2005 and 2006 were exceptions where he drove it a bit longer, but other than that it's always been right around 300.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

19 minutes ago, Zeph said:

He's averaging around 300 yards, exactly the same as he did in the 2000's. 2005 and 2006 were exceptions where he drove it a bit longer, but other than that it's always been right around 300.

You’re right. It’s more that other players are longer now and courses are longer so it seems like he’s hitting it less though he’s not. It’s forced him to be more strategic which works a lot in tournaments like The Masters and other majors. PGA may be a bomb fest but US Open and British will be more about strategy.

I'm actually pretty excited about it.  The 2002 US Open at BPB was the first golf tournament I watched on TV back in high school.  My uncle and this tournament (Tiger really) got me into this crazy game.  Loved playing this course on TW PGA Tour games as well. 

Off topic, but since then, I've been to Augusta once, followed Tiger at the 2008 Tour Championship, been to St. Andrews, played all the Disney courses (Tiger won there twice), and played Chambers Bay right before 2015 Open (it was beautiful when my wife and I went; shame what happened afterward).

Edited by ncates00

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

Agreed. He's probably just as long with his irons as Brooks, DJ, or Rory. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

Agreed. He's probably just as long with his irons as Brooks, DJ, or Rory. 

Yeah. And Rory not a threat.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just now, Vinsk said:

Yeah. And Rory not a threat.

Agreed Rory is not a threat. Tiger plays weaker lofts than all of them as well. 

If Tiger drives it reasonably well, can hit his irons like Augusta, and putts reasonably well, he'll be right there for #16.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 1797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!