Jump to content

39 posts / 2211 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I thought it was good. A shame that much of it should be common sense. I think it’d be a great video for JB Holmes to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is good stuff. My "normal" group does all of these pretty well. I have, however, been paired up with a group once or twice where they lose their minds if I line up my putt while they are lining up theirs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good video.  

I think most adults (or at least those who've played the game a long time) are either pace-of-play-conscious--and do most or all these things--or they don't care or consider POP, and will never change.  

But--I think videos like this (and POP-focused instruction) should be a foundational part of any instructional or team program for youth (First Tee, "Junior tours", middle & high school teams, etc).  Make it part of coaching certification (if it isn't already), and taught to younger players as a golf fundamental.  Maybe it's already that way...or supposed to be...don't know.  But I mean emphasize it.  Make it foundational.  Then we'll see positive change for the future of golf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good video, but speaking of pace of play, it's 11 minutes long. Even if it deserves an academy award, nobody under 30 will watch it!

11 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

I think most adults (or at least those who've played the game a long time) are either pace-of-play-conscious..

I don't know. I think they've just watched too much TV golf and think golf is a chess match. Their pre-shot routines look like TV golf. They check the wind three times, switch clubs, talk to themselves, and finally shank it. On the green, they line up the putts from all angles, address the ball, back off, line up the markings on the ball, and then push the putt 30 feet by the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I have, however, been paired up with a group once or twice where they lose their minds if I line up my putt while they are lining up theirs. 

Yea, that is strange. I've never had anyone complain about me getting ready early while they are going through their routine.


I like the video a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, BamaWade said:

Good video.  

I think most adults (or at least those who've played the game a long time) are either pace-of-play-conscious--and do most or all these things--or they don't care or consider POP, and will never change.  

But--I think videos like this (and POP-focused instruction) should be a foundational part of any instructional or team program for youth (First Tee, "Junior tours", middle & high school teams, etc).  Make it part of coaching certification (if it isn't already), and taught to younger players as a golf fundamental.  Maybe it's already that way...or supposed to be...don't know.  But I mean emphasize it.  Make it foundational.  Then we'll see positive change for the future of golf.

Yep.  I think a lot of golfers arent hanging out online and hearing the pace of play critislcisms. They are still continuing how they were wrongly taught by their dads/moms/friends to play when it comes to pace. I actually believe the criticism of pace of play wrongdoers likely never reaches their ears 95% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very good video.  A lot of this is just common sense or playing "ready golf".  I think a lot of people think it's rude or something do line up a putt when somebody is putting or going through their pre shot routine when the guy on the other side of the fairway is hitting.  Everybody that plays should watch this video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good video. I'm a proponent of ready golf and always encourage others to do so. Pretty much everyone I get paired up with feels the same.

Unfortunately, I feel slow players are like bad drivers. The people who are the culprits rarely recognize it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My thought, as always, is that all golfers are entitled to their own pace of play, just as long as they don't waste any time while playing at their own pace. Hit the ball, find the ball, and hit it again. 

Not all golfers playing "ready golf" will play at the same pace. (That is just a human fact)  Some golfers walk 2 mph, while others might walk 4 mph. I am a 2.5 mph walker myself I believe the walking average 3 mph. I have slowed down a bit as I have become older. (another human fact for all of us)

As for using carts, I agree golfers could utilize them better for a quicker pace of play. Then again, I also don't think all golfers drive carts the same speed. That faster/slower thing again. With no one to impede me I have recently played 18 holes in under 2hrs by myself. It was late, and I wanted to get 18 holes in. I also didn't score particularly that round well either. 

Edited by Patch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good video, they might want to check their spelling of the word necessary. I find slow players often don't know they are slow so they won't take any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, NM Golf said:

Good video, they might want to check their spelling of the word necessary. I find slow players often don't know they are slow so they won't take any advice.

I think slow players prefer to take their sweet time...and everybody else's.  

P.S.  Only one "c" is necessary but it takes two to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Piz said:

I think slow players prefer to take their sweet time...and everybody else's.  

P.S.  Only one "c" is necessary but it takes two to succeed.

And they take three sss to spell necessary in the video.  😜325568159_ScreenShot2019-05-08at9_50_20AM.png.ff21373ffbc4f95b1f32e7e164899adb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Patch said:

My thought, as always, is that all golfers are entitled to their own pace of play, just as long as they don't waste any time while playing at their own pace.

No, I have to disagree. It's this mentality that leads to issues. Who determines what "waste any time" means? A slow golfer will have a different answer than a conscientiously paced golfer. Feeling entitled to whatever's comfy is going to lead to problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

No, I have to disagree. It's this mentality that leads to issues. Who determines what "waste any time" means? A slow golfer will have a different answer than a conscientiously paced golfer. Feeling entitled to whatever's comfy is going to lead to problems.

Right on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Yep.  I think a lot of golfers arent hanging out online and hearing the pace of play critislcisms. They are still continuing how they were wrongly taught by their dads/moms/friends to play when it comes to pace. I actually believe the criticism of pace of play wrongdoers likely never reaches their ears 95% of the time.

And that falls on the course.  If the courses can’t, or won’t educate and police, then those 95% will never get any better.  Sadly, too many courses take the easy way out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They need to do another video with carts (or "buggies"). 

A good video.  The USGA and/or PGA need to create some public service videos aired on golf telecasts. The "While We're Young" campaign was pointless fluff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • I agree, I can feel it too.  But you get used to it pretty quickly and then you don’t even think of it.
    • What loft was he using on those heads?  The Flash is a low spin head, I forget what the TS2 is.  With an 85 mph clubhead speed I’d be as concerned about the head as I am the shaft.  The Flash also has the weights, how are those set up? FWIW my son is also small... older than your son but he is 5’even and 80lbs.  He hits a Ping G SFT 12 degree with a senior shaft.  Hits it about 225 yards with a tight little draw.  He has always had a draw anyway.    I didn’t mind getting him the SFT because he plays it at full length and the SFT feature would enable him hitting a draw with a shaft that’s too long so he would get some distance.
    • So I haven't been pleased with my putting lately.  It just seems like I have been fighting it on the backswing, and that is throwing me off. So I thought I would pull out a bunch of putters. like many people have and weigh them and see what the balance turned out to be.  This is not scientific since I am using a Taylormade Monza IB Spider as the baseline weight and using a digital scale.  I realize this only gives me overall static weight of the putter and not the head weight.  I'm just guessing at that since they all have small pistol grips.  The IB weighed 537gr and has a spec of 350gr headweight.  It has a slight toe balance. 1930's Burke 15oz, 90* toe balance (Found in my parent's garage as a kid and actually used it a long time ago because I thought it was cool). 1985 Taylormade TPA V 488gr 17-1/4oz, guess 300gr HW slight toe (First real putter that I used for a long time... Nevada Bob's). 1990's Teradrops TD-xx 504/508 17-3/4oz, guess 315/320gr HW slight toe (Drank the roll face kool-aid a few years ago, they do roll nice). 2008 Adams Mallet 523gr 18-1/2oz, guess 335gr HW face balance (Got this after wife took my IB, I loved this putter before Jim Jones got a hold of me... back in the bag). I have others, the 80's are around the same weight (slight toe, except one that is about 80*) and I have a Teardrop RFD that is "toe up" by 30* and is almost 19-1/2oz-360gr HW.  It is super stable... but boy I hate that one. I realize that my list is really low budget and most people wouldn't be caught dead with any of them.  But this was kind of an exercise in looking back at the years and also have some baseline for me.  I don't buy a lot, but I realize that I've picked up too much of the same that isn't working, at least for my current setup. John
    • I get it.  But the bottom line is, that just because it’s on the cart path, the actual procedure doesn’t change at all from any other drop.  That’s why you’re not finding anything.  There’s no difference in the procedure at all.  
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AndyH22
      AndyH22
      (32 years old)
    2. dalegribble
      dalegribble
      (54 years old)
    3. Drive4ShowPuttOnPoa
      Drive4ShowPuttOnPoa
      (28 years old)
    4. Squiggley
      Squiggley
      (63 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...