IGNORED

How Do You Treat Your Aches and Pains?

Jb20901
Note: This thread is 1773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf for years and have learned the important of a flexible back and core but I learned the hard way. I try heat, ice, yoga, anything after a long day on the green. What do you try?

• Thumbs Up 1

I stretch and do some PT exercises every morning as I have a torn right rotator cuff. I also pop three Aleve tablets and sometimes use Icey Hot type patches before I play. Clearly, I do better when the temperature is warm or hot. Cold weather seems to affect me more and more as I approach my 70th birthday. "Getting old ain't for sissies".

• Like 1

Rest and ibuprofen afterwards.  I have reached the point where I can only hit about 40 golf balls at the range before my back cramps up but can play 18 without much of a problem because there is a break between swings  I try to stretch before swinging but I still get the muscle cramps.  As I get older I have to accept the new normal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also use the golfer's vitamin - Ibuprophen. I take 800mg about an hour before a round and it helps a lot.

15 hours ago, Jb20901 said:

I have been playing golf for years and have learned the important of a flexible back and core but I learned the hard way. I try heat, ice, yoga, anything after a long day on the green. What do you try?

Ice for the aches immediately after, heat later on if needed and stretching. I stretch everyday with yoga-type stretches and do strength training to keep my core strong.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use ibuprofen, but I do my best to stretch so I don't have take it as often. I have also become a regular at my health club's sauna and hot tub, those both help a lot.

I just played 6 days in a row so I am getting ready to head over for a soak as soon as I get off the computer.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I stretch about 5 mornings a week to keep my back good and maintain flexibility.  I find prevention the best medicine.  Ibuprofen sometimes before or after playing.  A PT told me one time that icing after playing was highly recommended.

Daily stretching exercises are key for me. Also started using a push cart if I'm playing 18 holes (still try to carry if only playing 9).  Industrial strength pain meds help the arthritis as well as soaking in an epsom salt bath with a glass of vino after the round.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

18 minutes ago, RWC said:

Also started using a push cart if I'm playing 18 holes (still try to carry if only playing 9).  

I always use a push cart.  And, I find more aches from riding a cart than I do from walking 18 - I think it has to do with the jolts of a golf cart plus getting in and out of a cart.

• Like 1

I'll be 65 in August. I play at least 9 holes Monday- Friday, and walk with an electric cart. I usually don't pick up a club on the weekends, but I go for a 3 mile walk on both days. I can honestly say that I don't have any aches or pains that require any routine treatment. If I do have an occasional problem, I'll take a day or two off, and that takes care of it. I don't spend a lot of time on the range pounding balls, and I think that helps a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 years old.  Had a double knee replacement back in 2015.  No pain in the knees.

Hit the gym every weekday.  Stretches, core exercises, strength training, cardio.  I HATE going to the gym, but it keep the weight off, and keeps my back in shape.

Take 2 Aleve in the morning and 2 in the evenings.  Stretch back, hips & legs for about 5 minute prior to golf.

I can play 36 holes in a day, or 18 a few days in a row.  A LITTLE bit of an achey back, but nothing terrible.  A cocktail always helps.

Diet is important also.
Avoid sodium products in foods one consumes.
Caffeine can affect individuals sometimes.  

There's a lot of people who use cannabis and swear it relieves joint pains.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

For the most part I stay physically active to keep any new aches from showing up. Just normal busy stuff. Walking, a little yard work, swinging a golf club, and lifting as needed. 

For golf I warm up as needed, starting out with slower swings. The length of these warm ups depend on the ambient temps. I also walk with a push cart to stay warmed up on most of my playing rounds.

I do have have a few aches that I just have to live with. I do take some prescribed meds for these reminders of past trauma, but only when the pain might get bothersome.

Truth be known, I am not much of pill taker.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

some stuff that hasn't been mentioned:

i'm not a big fan of taking stuff so i picked up a cheap TENS unit on amazon a few years ago that's still going strong. it doesn't completely eliminate pain but it's been effective enough at reducing it.

i've also used triggerpoint therapy for releasing muscle knots. some helpful tools have been a foam roller, lacrosse ball, and a back buddy. i had a physio confirm i was doing the right stuff and would recommend the same to anyone interested in this. 

lastly, getting restorative sleep is crucial for me. 

• Like 1

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

That Edola stretch with your back against the wall helps me a little.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:30 PM, NJpatbee said:

Rest and ibuprofen afterwards.  I have reached the point where I can only hit about 40 golf balls at the range before my back cramps up but can play 18 without much of a problem because there is a break between swings  I try to stretch before swinging but I still get the muscle cramps.  As I get older I have to accept the new normal.

When hitting balls on the range, just take your time! I can take an hour and a half to hit a small bucket of 50-55 balls! I'm not in a hurry. If I AM in a hurry, I don't go to the range! It's one or the other! There is NO compromise. I'll either spend the time or I won't! 

On game day I will take advantage of pain killers. Particularly Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), which turned out to work much better for me than Ibuprofen (Advil). 

Golfers should take care when using these, as they can make your skin more sensitive to the UV in sunlight. So, make sure you have some good sunblock in your bag.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!