IGNORED

If You Had to Take One Club From You Bag, Which Would It Be?

Note: This thread is 1474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Taking my lob wedge out when I need to add to the top of my bag.

But it is interesting to hear guys opinions about removing the P wedge and choking down the 9, or taking the 9 out and choking down the 8. And to me that makes sense because I never want to be trying to nuke a short iron, force an extra 5 years out of it. That usually ends with a nasty pull left. So the P or 9 being taken out if I feel the L wedge is needed is a good option. Mostly playing Skats so gotta make birdies and greenie's to score, which means more hitting GIR than getting up and down with an L.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would never take driver, putter, or any of my wedges out of my bag simply because they account for 90% of the shots and almost all of the chance to make a birdie.  If I have a 4 iron or 6 iron in my hand, anywhere on the green and 2 putt is fine.  No disadvantage of losing a 5 iron.  Or at least to my way of thinking.  None of my par 3 holes require a 5 iron.  None of the par 4 hole approaches require one.  Once in a while, I need a 5 iron into a par 5 hole,  So, I think I would drop the 5 iron.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd lose my highest lofted wedge, a 60.  I actually use it quite a bit for short game shots, but I spent an awful lot of my golfing life with nothing more lofted than a typical sand wedge, probably around 56.  I might try some different grinds with the sand wedge, to help to be able to lay it open for really high soft shots, but I could make it work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If going purely by usage frequency, I'd have to take out my 4-iron. I hit a total of one tee/approach shot with it all last year, although it is a go to club for punch shots to get back in play from trees.

But I've been using the 4-iron a lot more often this year, so I would rather keep it in the bag, and ditch my 60 degree wedge. I only use the 60 degree wedge for shots around the green, and I probably would do just as well (or poorly) using my 55 degree wedge in these spots.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 wood, my 2 hybrid is only 20 yards shorter and more easier to control.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

My 5i

I have D, 3W, 5W, hybrid, 5-LW. I never touch the 5iron. Might as well be my bush axe for finding my ball in the woods

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Between a 8I or the 5I...….. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

For me I would choose between the SW and LW.  Though I could probably remove any of my irons between 5 and 9 and manage.  The driver, hybrid and PW are the only clubs I can't remove.  Heck, even the putter isn't that big a deal.  I could probably manage with something like the hybrid 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

The club I would drop would have to be my Driver. I hit my 3w off most tees and  and am usually past my golf buddies' drivers anyway by a fair amount as we are all in our 60's and older.  I also do not hesitate to hit the 3w , a hybrid or 4 iron off a fairway. I started golfing in my 50's but it's still frustrating for me because driver used to be so reliable and I would always hit it because I trusted it, most of the par 5's were reachable for me in 2 as a result and I had short irons in to most par 4's but then my irons and short game would let me down. I worked hard on my irons and short game and have improved them substantially, along with ball striking but my driver consistency has gone the opposite way (2 different drivers). I have had a few lessons but still struggle with it after the lessons. I swing it at 105 so if it's in the fairway it's great but unfortunately the misses are usually penalties.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:23 AM, Rippy_72 said:

I would never take driver, putter, or any of my wedges out of my bag simply because they account for 90% of the shots and almost all of the chance to make a birdie.  If I have a 4 iron or 6 iron in my hand, anywhere on the green and 2 putt is fine.  No disadvantage of losing a 5 iron.  Or at least to my way of thinking.  None of my par 3 holes require a 5 iron.  None of the par 4 hole approaches require one.  Once in a while, I need a 5 iron into a par 5 hole,  So, I think I would drop the 5 iron.

8 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

Between a 8I or the 5I...….. 

5i  out & use a 7HL 23 loft 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have both a 49* wedge and a 52* wedge. So I’d lose the 49. 

Otherwise it would be my 2 ironwood, which I can’t hit very well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would leave my 4h out. I am pretty inconsistent at that end of the bag. My 3h, 4h and 5i are all pretty much interchangeable. I have been working constantly on hitting those clubs better and I am getting better with them, but I could easily get by without the 4h for a round if necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

Typically carry 12 clubs in the bag (driver - 3w - 4h - 5-PW, SW, LW, putter).  If I had to take a club from the bag, it would either be the 6i or the LW.  I can choke down on the 5i to get the distance needed and I use the SW almost exclusively around the hole.  Once in a blue moon will the LW loft come into play.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

18 hours ago, WillieT said:

Typically carry 12 clubs in the bag (driver - 3w - 4h - 5-PW, SW, LW, putter).  If I had to take a club from the bag, it would either be the 6i or the LW.  I can choke down on the 5i to get the distance needed and I use the SW almost exclusively around the hole.  Once in a blue moon will the LW loft come into play.  

Dont use 4i

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!