IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather… #4: get to choose your three playing partners but be assigned to play 36 holes in one day on a completely random golf course, or get to play 36 holes at the course of your choosing with three completely randomly chosen playing partners?

I'd pick the course. Probably Augusta just because I see it on TV every year, but maybe some other exclusive place like Tara Iti. I play solo 90% of the time anyways, so random playing partners don't bother me.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather… #4: get to choose your three playing partners but be assigned to play 36 holes in one day on a completely random golf course, or get to play 36 holes at the course of your choosing with three completely randomly chosen playing partners?

I'd go with course.

I would enjoy the chance to play with a group of players like Tiger, Koepka, and Johnson (either one), but realistically I know that the experience would probably be a bit awkward. The odds of ending up at an extremely nice course are slim (since there are so few), so you'd most likely be playing a standard municipal course that makes up the majority of golf options in the US. At least the odds are in your favor of not having to play a completely garbage course. While it would be great fun to watch them tear up the course, I picture the experience realistically being somewhat awkward. You don't know them, they don't know you, but they do know each other so you'd probably feel a little like an outsider. Even just inserting your favorite player or two in a group with 2-3 of your buddies would have the same issue of there being a bridge between the pros and the joes simply based off who already knows who.

Besides that, and most importantly, the opportunity to play with some of your favorite pros exists outside of this scenario. Every PGA tournament has a pro-am and you can usually just purchase a slot into it. You don't get to pick your pro but if you go with something like the Tournament of Champions pro-am you're pretty much guaranteed to get someone popular. It's expensive, yes, but it's an experience that money can buy (at least at a price point most people could realistically save over several years for a once in a lifetime event).

What money can't buy is the opportunity to play some of the most exclusive courses in the world, at least not the kind of money that most people will ever possess. For Augusta specifically you either need the talent to play in the Masters or you need to be someone incredibly rich and/or influential (or know a member, someone who is incredibly rich and/or influential and could probably get you on at many other exclusive courses anyways). Employees do get the opportunity to play at Augusta National, if I'm not mistaken, but that would be something where you literally change the course of your whole life hoping to get to play at one golf course by working to get hired there - not the best move. I know Cypress Point is supposed to be harder to play than Augusta, but it doesn't have the same gravitas IMO.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, iacas said:

Surprising responses. I don't fault anyone for wanting to get on Augusta/Cypress Point/Pine Valley, etc. 

But for me, a 36 hole day where my dad and I were paired with Phil Mickelson and Jack Nicklaus in a friendly fourball competition would be soooooooo much more memorable than playing a great course with 3 random partners. 

So yeah, I'd pick the foursome and it wouldn't really be a tough decision.

Edited by iacas
please follow the rules and quote the topic

Partners without a doubt. Other than a select few dream courses I have a greater chance of playing most of my bucket list courses any time in this lifetime. 

But 36 with Tiger, Nicklaus and Rory??? Damn... Outside the birth of my kids and the day I married me love, this would be the most significant day of my life. I've worked it all out. We would play a fourball and a foursome. Jack and I vs. Tiger and Rory, as long as we get spotted 20 a side... 🍺🍺🍺 

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Jack and I vs. Tiger and Rory, as long as we get spotted 20 a side... 🍺🍺🍺 

You may want to double that!  Tiger and Rory might get a 65 and on the same tees (assuming 7200y or more), you might need 95: Jack can't hit it out of his own shadow anymore, sadly. :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

A tough choice but I would go with picking the courses (Augusta National, Cypress Point and tbd).  In almost 60 years of playing, the number of complete asses with which I have played is low.  Besides, my caddy and I would just walk on the other side of the fairway if we were extremely unlucky.

Brian Kuehn

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, iacas said:

I can pretty much deal with anyone for a day, so I'd love to play a top tier course.....

Thracian Cliffs, The Dunes, Old head, Pinehurst, Tan Tar A Golf Club for sentimental reasons.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 10/30/2019 at 2:15 PM, iacas said:

Would You Rather… #4: get to choose your three playing partners but be assigned to play 36 holes in one day on a completely random golf course, or get to play 36 holes at the course of your choosing with three completely randomly chosen playing partners?.

I would choose the course, and it would be Augusta National. I care very little about who I play with. I mean it's great to play with friends, but every friend I currently play with I met while playing as a single. I suppose I am lucky, but I cannot remember ever being paired with someone I could not stand. I can get along with (or completely ignore) anyone. A great and memorable round of golf, to me, is about the course, not about the company. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Would You Rather... #5:

Receive your golf clubs, and as many as you like, from the manufacturer of your choice (you can only choose one manufacturer) for the rest of your life for free.

Receive your clothing, including shoes, and as much as you like, from the manufacturer of your choice (you can only choose one manufacturer) for the rest of your life for free.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather... #5:

Receive your golf clubs, and as many as you like, from the manufacturer of your choice (you can only choose one manufacturer) for the rest of your life for free.

Receive your clothing, including shoes, and as much as you like, from the manufacturer of your choice (you can only choose one manufacturer) for the rest of your life for free.

Easy, I'll choose the clothes, assuming they don't have to be just golf clothes and shoes. I am not a one-brand man when it comes to clubs.  There is diversity in my bag.

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather... #5:

The key part of this question is "as much as you like". So its clothes because clothes are more marketable.

The internet tells me that the best selling clothing brand is Louis Vuitton, so they can start sending me truck loads. I ought to be able to sell it and have more than enough money to buy all the golf clubs I want.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather... #5:

I’ll take the clothes!  Even if I didn’t go @mcanadiens route and resell.  Even if I could change every day, I wouldn’t switch clubs all that often…  New clothes and shoes however are entirely different thing!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

37 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather... #5:

Clothes easily. I'd likely choose Nike which would cover me for golf, work, casual, workout, etc. pretty much every situation outside of wearing a suit would be covered by Nike clothes/shoes.

Plus like others have mentioned, I have a mixed bag of clubs so I wouldn't really want to be locked into one manufacturer.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The key part of this question is "as much as you like". So its clothes because clothes are more marketable.

The internet tells me that the best selling clothing brand is Louis Vuitton, so they can start sending me truck loads. I ought to be able to sell it and have more than enough money to buy all the golf clubs I want.

Rolex watches man, Rolex watches.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Rolex watches man, Rolex watches.

Good argument but under the hypo provided, they aren't permitted.  He said clothes, including shoes, which under the plain language of his rule, excludes things that are not clothing or shoes.  Watches are accessories, not clothing or shoes.

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Wasn't sure we were including watches in the definition, but, yes, that would work.

They don't qualify under his stated rule.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Good argument but under the hypo provided, they aren't permitted.  He said clothes, including shoes, which under the plain language of his rule, excludes things that are not clothing or shoes.  Watches are accessories, not clothing or shoes.

Dang, you beat me to it. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

That diamond studded belt buckle has to count though.  How else am I going to hold up those Hugo Boss pants?

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1