IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

1 hour ago, IowaGreg said:

Would you rather...? #17:

Make a hole-in-one by hitting a perfect shot - one of the best strikes you have hit in your life - while playing alone. It is witnessed only by a complete stranger playing on another hole.

Make a hole-in-one in front of your best golf buddies, but completely by dumb luck - a thinned shot that happens to roll all the way up to the green and in the hole.

I have actually done both. The "dumb luck" shot actually occurred on par 5 hole that the course was re-sodding so we played it as a par 3 for about half the year. Bladed an 8 iron that actually hit a slope on the back of the green and hopped sideways and rolled into the cup. Completely blind luck. Won 9 skins on the hole and the "hole in one" pot for that summer. So I'm going with number 2.

Edited by Bucki1968

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Make a hole-in-one by hitting a perfect shot - one of the best strikes you have hit in your life - while playing alone. It is witnessed only by a complete stranger playing on another hole.

Make a hole-in-one in front of your best golf buddies, but completely by dumb luck - a thinned shot that happens to roll all the way up to the green and in the hole.

#2.  It is dumb luck if I hit a perfect shot. I might as well have the witnesses.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

War Eagle!

I've had 2 holes-in-one in my life. The first one was very much like scenario 1, a wonderfully struck 6-iron and it was 2 strangers. They both signed my card which now hangs proudly in my office. The second one was a perfect 8 iron, played on the number. The second one was during league night in front of 7 good friends. (3 playing with me and the 4 who just stepped off the green and were waiting for the next tee to clear. My second one I had the best of both scenarios.  

So, I'd be happy to get either scenario right now. But, I think it would be more fun with scenario 2. So, I'll choose the dumb luck while playing with my buddies. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

19 hours ago, billchao said:

Both of the above scenarios happened to me!  I was playing with my normal group and my first ace was a thinned worm-burner that rolled into the hole.  Playing in a blind scramble with people I barely knew, my second ace, which was on the exact same hole coincidentally, was a pretty shot that slam dunked into the cup. 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

19 hours ago, billchao said:

I'd rather have the first, have never had a HIO. Maybe one day, cameras directed at the green will be a thing and you'll have video proof. One time I hit a 6I that bounced off the pin and the hole but didn't see it because elevated green only knew because group that waved us up saw it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

17 hours ago, billchao said:

Definitely option 1.  Either way it is a hole-in-one, and it is witnessed.  A nice shot makes me feel a lot better.  And it gives you more hope of scoring a second one.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

42 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Maybe one day, cameras directed at the green will be a thing and you'll have video proof. 

A local course has that!  They have a camera directed at the 16th green to prove if a hole-in-one happens.  You pay $5 at the clubhouse before teeing off, and you have a chance of winning $10,000.

36 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

A nice shot makes me feel a lot better.   

I'm the asshole in the bar or at church, who, when you tell me you had a hole-in-one, I will ask you for the details of the shot.  So you want it to be a shot you can brag about, with pride.

Let's imagine for a moment that you make it on the PGA or LPGA Tour, which ever is appropriate for your gender.

Would you rather...? #18:

Make a huge splash your very first year on tour. Winning an amazing 10 tournaments including 3 majors. From your second year onward you never make another cut. 

Or  

Play on the tour for 25 years. You win one tournament every other year, but no majors. You make the cut in half the tournaments you enter. Somehow you qualify for every major and make the cut in two majors each year but never win one. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Let's imagine for a moment that you make it on the PGA or LPGA Tour, which ever is appropriate for your gender.

Make a huge splash your very first year on tour. Winning an amazing 10 tournaments including 3 majors. From your second year onward you never make another cut. 

Or  

Play on the tour for 25 years. You win one tournament every other year, but no majors. You make the cut in half the tournaments you enter. Somehow you qualify for every major and make the cut in two majors each year but never win one. 

Hmm...I think I would rather take option #2, because that’s more wins, and I’ll be fairly happy with that. However, winning no majors will be a bummer. Oh well.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Or  

Either way, you'd be set for life if you were smart with your money, but I think I'd take option #2. I like playing, and don't like time being heavy on my hands. There's a guy who graduated from a local high school who's kind of doing it that way, though he hasn't won on Tour yet. He's made a darn nice living so far. Won over $2 Mill last year in official money. The dude makes cuts, plays on the weekend, and takes home a nice check.  

28 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Or  

So a man wearing a green jacket walks into a bar and says, "I won10 PGA tournaments including three majors last year.". That's the guy I want to be. And I'll take his money winnings, as well.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Or  

For me it would be option 2 as I would love to know I had a long career that allowed me to travel, be in contention and even win some.  Like others would be bummed about no major, but oh the stories you could tell and how you beat this person or that over a career.  I tend to think the first option would have one coming away as a "flash in the pan" and the latter that of a "journeyman".   Great topic that really asks - what drives you most...

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Or  

Option 2 - It would be fun to travel and see so many different places. 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

17 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Or  

It has to be the second.

The frustration of that sort of failure in the first scenario would not work well with my personality. I'd probably go insane. 

A moderate, but sustained level of competence would be far easier to accept.

Or  

#1 - I'll take the glory of three majors and ten wins in a season. I figure one season like that would earn me enough money to retire living modestly, and would also come with some sweet endorsement deals. Plus I would get to keep playing on the tour, at least for awhile...

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Or  

The first sounds somewhat like Jordan Spieth. He’s miserable now. But I’d take that I think.  I would just avoid the 12th at Augusta! 😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Or  

If I could know this in advance I'd easily choose #1.  Then I'd have tons of companies coming after me for endorsements.  I'd endorse as many products as I could without being laughable.  I'd have the leverage so they'd all be 20 year contracts without any outs.  

After a year I could go back to beating my foursome buddies for $5 at my local course and sleeping in my own bed almost every night.  And I'd be a multi-millionaire, smiling all the way to the bank.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

#1 - I'll take the glory of three majors and ten wins in a season. I figure one season like that would earn me enough money to retire living modestly, and would also come with some sweet endorsement deals. Plus I would get to keep playing on the tour, at least for awhile...

Modestly???  That's about $15 million without the endorsement deals.  Oh, you must mean a modest yacht and NetJet.