IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

20 minutes ago, ejm1994 said:

Would You Rather...? #28: Use only a driver for the entire round or only a putter for the entire round? Why?

Driver. Easily. I’d be better at shots with a high SV than with a putter. Also like @David in FL said, I’d demolish a putter quickly.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

Driver.  Primarily because I’d destroy a putter in a few holes...

I think you would be allowed to assume the putter was indestructible. Besides, how are you going to get out of a greenside trap with a driver?

44 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think you would be allowed to assume the putter was indestructible. Besides, how are you going to get out of a greenside trap with a driver?

Exact same way I will with a driver.

Assuming an indestructible putter. I can easily putt with the driver, and probably won’t see a difference of more than a handful of putts over 18 holes.  But every time I Would normally pull out a driver on the tee, I’m likely losing two or three strokes by having to use a putter…  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Driver. Easily. I’d be better at shots with a high SV than with a putter. Also like @David in FL said, I’d demolish a putter quickly.

I think this is THE answer. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 hours ago, ejm1994 said:

Would You Rather...? #28: Use only a driver for the entire round or only a putter for the entire round? Why?

Truth be told, my putter is one of the worst clubs in my bag.  I am happy to walk away with two putts after hitting a green.  But for an entire round, a putter would be the more versatile club.  You can manage to get more loft on the shots than with a driver.  Especially if you have one of the smaller models available

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 12:36 AM, ejm1994 said:

I think driver the entire round, not because I would destroy the putter after a few holes (don't have that kind of swing speed) but rather it would be a more versatile club.  I have a good friend who regularly hits driver off the fairway when he wants more of a low stinger type shot. Would be fun to try one round - would definitely make shot placement key!  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 6/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, pganapathy said:

But for an entire round, a putter would be the more versatile club.  You can manage to get more loft on the shots than with a driver.  Especially if you have one of the smaller models available

But with a putter, played on a decent length course, say like 6,600-6,700+ yds, you're almost never going to get a GIR, where with driver, you will at least have multiple chances. I mean depending on the course and forced carries, it's possible that some people might not even be able to carry a putter over a forced carry off the tee which would add up strokes in a hurry.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Yea I think Driver is the answer here. Neither would be pretty but I say Driver.

Edited by PJCdude

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I’d rather do a driver. Here’s why, assuming I’m playing the white tees at my home course:

PUTTER: A full-swing putter is not a shot you’d think of practicing on the range. Sure, I’ve hit one every once in a while just for the heck of it, and I’ve actually hit some solid ones. But I only averaged about 160 yards on a solid strike, and as far as about 175, which wouldn’t get me home in regulation on a lot of the par-4s on my home course. Also, I probably never hit it above head height, which could be ugly on some of the holes.

DRIVER: An average driver for me would go about 230 yards, 250+ if I smoke it. That puts me within striking distance on every hole, and as it happens, I’ve actually practiced less-than-full drivers, which helps on the par-3s and shorter approach shots. I can also hit a decent full swing driver off the deck. As for bunkers, in most of the bunkers at my course, you can just run it up the lip and pop it out gently.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Driver.  It's not even a question, right?

1.) Strokes gained.  Driver vs. putter on any shot from 50 yards or more is a no-brainer.  The 100+ yard difference off the tee is worth a stroke a hole, if not more.  On the green, the driver might cost you half a stroke at most.

2.) Forced carries.  I've played courses, regularly, where you could give me 20 shots with a putter and I couldn't advance the ball towards the green.  Any shot that's possible with a putter is possible with a driver...but not vice versa.

3.) There is no #3.

- John

On 10/24/2019 at 2:11 PM, sjduffers said:

Would You Rather… #3: Would you rather hit your best drive (i.e. if your maximum drive is 250, then hit it 250, if your max is 300, then its 300, etc...) to the center of the fairway every time you tee off from now on. OR would you rather hole every putt from inside 10 feet from now on? 

I would rather hit my maximum drive to the center of the fairway every time I hit driver from the tee from now on. No brainer for me.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 month later...

Would you rather #29....Play only a total of five (5) clubs (incl putter) in the bag, the strongest being no more than 15* (i.e. 3w) and the weakest no more than 60* (LW) and lowering your avg score by five (5) strokes OR keeping your bag as is with the current number of clubs and your avg score lowers by two (2) strokes.  Also if you choose the former - what would be the clubs of choice?  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

4 minutes ago, WillieT said:

Would you rather #29....Play only a total of five (5) clubs (incl putter) in the bag, the strongest being no more than 15* (i.e. 3w) and the weakest no more than 60* (LW) and lowering your avg score by five (5) strokes OR keeping your bag as is with the current number of clubs and your avg score lowers by two (2) strokes.  Also if you choose the former - what would be the clubs of choice?  

The former, 16° Mini Driver, 5-hybrid, 8-iron, PW, SW, NO putter. Or 2-iron, 5-iron, 8-iron, PW, SW, again no putter. I can putt pretty well with a 2-iron or the leading edge of a wedge. But the hybrid would be my best bet.

Funny story I knew fellow in his 90s who was a 15 hdcp with a hybrid, chipper, and putter as his only three clubs for a while.

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

14 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

The former, 16° Mini Driver, 5-hybrid, 8-iron, PW, SW, NO putter. Or 2-iron, 5-iron, 8-iron, PW, SW, again no putter. I can putt pretty well with a 2-iron or the leading edge of a wedge. But the hybrid would be my best bet.

Funny story I knew fellow in his 90s who was a 15 hdcp with a hybrid, chipper, and putter as his only three clubs for a while.

I like your first choice of clubs as that is what I was thinking.  Except it would be the 15deg 3w, 4-hybrid, 8i, GW and putter.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, WillieT said:

I'm not sure why anyone would choose the latter? Maybe if they really LOVE hitting driver?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, WillieT said:

I’d prefer the former. That would bring my bad rounds down to 86 or 87, my good rounds down to around 80, and my great rounds in the mid-high 70s. As for my clubs of choice, I’d go with a 3W, 4H, 7I, 54 degree wedge and putter.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

1 hour ago, WillieT said:

The former

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure why anyone would choose the latter? Maybe if they really LOVE hitting driver?

Whereas I do love hitting my driver, it's also because I'm so inconsistent with my 3W I just think it would make golf not fun for me. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

2 hours ago, WillieT said:

Given your hypo, it seems that the answer is self-evident given golf is about having the least amount of scores.