iacas

Best Shot in Golf

Best Shot in Golf  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What shot makes you happiest?

• A piped drive down the middle.
    • A pure long- or mid-iron.
    • A great chip shot (with or without that saucy spin, your choice).
    • A holed long putt path looks and feels in from the start.
    • A perfect green side bunker shot.
    • A flighted wedge or short iron that takes one hop and spins to a stop close to the hole.

38 posts / 2381 viewsLast Reply

It's all fun, but I went for the piped drive. Chicks dig the long ball!

Plus it's a nice celebration of physical health, which for me means something 😄Fumbling with an awkward club twirl then quickly reaching for the tee after a solid drive is pure joy!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Piped drive. It's all downhill after. Takes a total screw up to loose the hole from there. Usually. 

Even long holes like a 430 yard par 4, whick IMO are the toughest, loose the intimidation factor after you own the tee ball.

Edited by GolfLug

I voted for pure long- or mid-iron. A driver is much easier to hit than one that requires more precision while still swinging it with speed.

With a driver, the ball's sitting on a tee for crying out loud.

I also voted pureed long- or mid-iron. Nothing feels better, and it's tougher to luck into that than most of the others, I think. 

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

I voted for pure long- or mid-iron. A driver is much easier to hit than one that requires more precision while still swinging it with speed.

With a driver, the ball's sitting on a tee for crying out loud.

7 minutes ago, jamo said:

I also voted pureed long- or mid-iron. Nothing feels better, and it's tougher to luck into that than most of the others, I think. 

Well if I knew what this feels like I might have voted for it 😀

Long iron from a tight lie, preferably on a links course, a sweet contact leading to a soft landing, a release, and roll a few yards to the heart of the green please. 

I love that chippy little 70 yard hop and stop spinner.  Puts a smile on my face every time.

A result of being a short hitter who almost never reaches par-5’s, but plays with those who do.  There are more ways than one to make birdie.   ;-)

For me it’s the mid-long iron. 

I mean the long drive down the middle is one of the best things in golf for me right now. 

But a long iron flying directly at the flag is just $$$. I probably only hit them pure off the tee on par 3s so a 200+ yard par 3 is something where a pure iron just shines. 

I voted piped drive down the middle because it's such a great way to start the hole.  A great drive builds a lot of confidence and also gives shorter clubs in.  

Mid to long iron is right there though.  Hitting the green with a mid to long iron is a great feeling.

I don't hit it very often but an honorary mention would go out to a striped 3 wood (whether from the tee box or approaching a green) because, for me, even with a shallow head 3w, I find them harder to hit on the button than anything else in my bag.

Best shot is a pured long or mid iron for me. Love the way it feels off the face.

For me there's the intent factor. I'm good enough with my irons that I can generally get the ball towards my target more often than not, so puring one comes with the satisfaction of perfectly executing something I was trying to do. My driving is more erratic so hitting a perfect drive always feels like I got lucky.

This was a hard decision, because all of those are really exciting for me. I’d go with the long putt though because when I sink a 30-40 footer for birdie, that’s probably the happiest feeling I get in golf.

Long or mid iron. Some of my best shots this year were 4-6 irons.. This is a tough shot, so when it goes well, I am excited about it.

Long or mid iron. When you stick one close from that distance it´s amazing and rare, it happens a few times per year so it´s something to celebrate. All of the other shots i normally hit at least one every weekend.

It was between sinking a super long putt that I saw going in from the beginning and the drive. I chose the drive, but specifically a high draw that is going a mile like I want. Reason being, if my driver is doing that, then the rest of my full swing shots are also on point. It’s how my game normally goes.

Gotta be a long iron for me. I hit about 3-4 absolute beauties with my 3 iron this year and more than ten 4 irons that were amazing. 

Any one of those results would make me happy. Since I no longer hit an iron longer than a 6 anymore, that kind of knocked that answer out of the box for me. But, back when I could hit them, nothing gave me more pleasure than puring a 2 or 3 iron right where I wanted to! 

I voted for long putt. Nothing gives me more satisfaction these days than being away, and seeing that my buddy thinks he has me since he's a lot closer to the hole. Then I jar it, or park it close enough for an easy tap in, and now he HAS to make his putt. When he doesn't, boy he can turn the air blue! 

The first thing I did was get myself a decent putter. My buddy had an Odyssey White Hot blade putter, and told me he had just bought a new Odyssey that he found on sale. I knew that he craved the A Wedge from a set of TM irons that I had bought from him. I couldn't hit it worth a crap, so I asked if he still wanted it. He said yes, so I offered to trade the wedge for his old putter. Deal made! 

It had the biggest Super Stroker grip on it that was pretty well worn out, and too big for my hands anyway. I took the putter to Golf Headquarters and looked at every putter grip they had. I chose an oversize Lamkin paddle that felt wonderful in my hands. Then I started practicing using the advice in @iacas thread about NOT accelerating through a putt. I putt better now than I ever have in my life!