IGNORED

What Would Your Home Course Rate on the Doak Scale?

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 1312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

LOL.....come on....Semi isn't that bad....not all the holes are lined by housing...I've seen worse.....a 1.5 rating is basically a goat track rating.😂

I don't mind Semi.

I think the resort is under rated and goes under the radar....haven't seen the reno's in the hotel area yet....it's a good place to hold a small short stay biz meeting.

They use to have some really attractively priced all you can play...stay & play packages in the spring.

*************************************************************************************************************

This post below was meant to be a separate post...but it automatically merged with the above recent post of mine.

@phillyk and @Double Mocha Man

IMO...you have rated Eaglemont and Shuksan quite high.

From a reference point.....just curious.

I assume you have both played 5 courses across the border in the Vancouver area...how would you rate those courses?

Yeah Semi is still considered a top 10 course in WA, along with Loomis.  The only course I have played in Canada is Nicklaus North in Whistler of which I'd give a 4.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would go with a 1.5 based on the abandoned bunkers and the eroded cart paths down steep slopes that makes it downright scary when it is wet out.  It is also very hilly in spots which as led to some short 90 degree dogleg par 4s.  But the greens and fairways are decent bent grass, so maybe it is a little better than a 1.5. That light green area between the blue and white stakes is an abandoned sand trap.

Big Beaver Creek Golf Club

79369530_993544614345532_151964588701646

War Eagle!

8 hours ago, phillyk said:

Yeah Semi is still considered a top 10 course in WA, along with Loomis.  The only course I have played in Canada is Nicklaus North in Whistler of which I'd give a 4.

Yes, Nick North is nothing special.....kinda boring on the holes across the highway....IMO....the worse of the Whistler courses.

It's such a rip off at approx $170 full rack rate in the summer.

Luckily via someone who knew a guy in the pro shop....played it for $40 back in 2003.

51 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Yes, Nick North is nothing special.....kinda boring on the holes across the highway....IMO....the worse of the Whistler courses.

It's such a rip off at approx $170 full rack rate in the summer.

Luckily via someone who knew a guy in the pro shop....played it for $40 back in 2003.

I am looking at playing up at Whistler next summer, if the elbow is ready.  Thanks... I will cull the Nicklaus course from my list.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:59 PM, sjduffers said:

You'll be glad to know that this course is now closed, for lack of play

Capitalism at work. I am surprised that the designer left it on his "projects" page considering it was so awful. Maybe it was his first job, and then he got better.

Capture.JPG

Michael

@HJJ003, thanks for the interesting thread and link.

Leslie Park Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI

I rate Leslie as a 4.  @dennyjones can weigh in if my personal feelings resulted in a too high rating.

I tend to not give a lot of credit for perfect conditions versus terrain and design. Leslie is far from manicured but it is located on a great piece of land.  Each hole is different. There are a couple of unique aspects like the pear orchard and the view after climbing "heart attack" hill.

As a muni, the bunkering is not extensive.  It is too short (6,600 yards) to be considered a tough test for top players but it is not a push over for the rest of us.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

@HJJ003, thanks for the interesting thread and link.

Leslie Park Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI

I rate Leslie as a 4.  @dennyjones can weigh in if my personal feelings resulted in a too high rating.

I tend to not give a lot of credit for perfect conditions versus terrain and design. Leslie is far from manicured but it is located on a great piece of land.  Each hole is different. There are a couple of unique aspects like the pear orchard and the view after climbing "heart attack" hill.

As a muni, the bunkering is not extensive.  It is too short (6,600 yards) to be considered a tough test for top players but it is not a push over for the rest of us.

I'd agree with you @bkuehn1952.   Leslie is a nice track.   It does have quite a few unique holes, I enjoy.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, lastings said:

Home Course - Chaska Town Course - Chaska, MN

I'd say a 6.5.    It's definitely at least a 6.   I would drive an hour and a half to play it (if it wasn't 5 minutes from my house).  That said, I've driven and hour and half for worse, so it's a bit subjective.   But, i'd think that if someone 100 miles away drove to play it, they'd leave pretty satisfied.   

Went to Minneapolis for a bachelor party in the Summer. The group might have gone with this course but the price scared us off after currency conversion and how expensive the trip already was planned to be.

We ended up playing Keller and still loved our pick.

9 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Went to Minneapolis for a bachelor party in the Summer. The group might have gone with this course but the price scared us off after currency conversion and how expensive the trip already was planned to be.

We ended up playing Keller and still loved our pick.

Yeah, the $49 chaska resident rate is quite a deal compared to the $74 non-resident.    Not to mention $20 for the cart. 

Keller is pretty solid as well, though. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

River hills country club 

Corpus Christi Texas 

3.  Decent layout.  Has some hills and valleys which makes it unique in this area. 

golf only club. 

:ping:    Driver, 3 wood  G410 Plus  G 700 irons  :cleveland:  CBX 50-54-56  :scotty_cameron: Squareback   Gigem

8 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

For anyone that has the Doak books, do alot of the courses listed overlap with top100 courses website as I often check that site out.

Doak and his Co-Authors see a lot of those courses. However, you would be shocked at how many of those courses they do not like or at least don’t rate near as highly as one would expect. One of the co-authors actually runs that site, but the rankings are review driven. 

Course rating websites and magazine ratings are often slanted to courses with large advertising budgets. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sugar Hill Golf Club

Three.  Very average, with a lot of spots where well struck shots will run off the fairway and into the woods, where the briars will keep it for all eternity.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Homestead is a solid 2.5. No outstanding features, but they keep it in good shape. 

If this were the dork scale, my presence would raise it to an 8. 

- Shane

• 2 months later...

My home course, Myers Park Country Club, in Charlotte is probably a 5 or 6 on Doak's Scale. I play it two or three times a week so I may be under rating it. It's always in excellent shape and has several great holes. It's just not as interesting as it was when I joined 36 years ago. It was a Donald Ross design that was restored by Rees Jones. Since then several different architects have "messed" with it creating a hodge podge of different styles. I still enjoy playing there and it's less than a mile from my home. However, Charlotte has at least a half dozen courses that are better.

Charter Oak CC, Hudson Mass. Robert Trent Jones Jr. Course

I give it a 6. Course is almost always in truly fantastic shape. Lots of great, challenging holes, mixed with a few likely birdies if you're swinging it well. Some of the best Amateur's in the state typically come from this club. 

The only thing keeping me from giving it a 7 is the layout: it drives me crazy. The back is significantly harder than the front and I don't hit my driver until the 6th. The holes are fine, but they could have been numbered in a different order to give it a better mix. This is difficult to explain if you don't know the course, but if the 3rd hole was the 18th the course would be a lot better. On the other hand, if #1 was anything other than the first hole it would get birdied all the time. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 7:16 AM, HJJ003 said:

Doak and his Co-Authors see a lot of those courses. However, you would be shocked at how many of those courses they do not like or at least don’t rate near as highly as one would expect. One of the co-authors actually runs that site, but the rankings are review driven. 

Course rating websites and magazine ratings are often slanted to courses with large advertising budgets. 

Doak's definition of what makes a golf course good and what the rest of the world thinks is often quite different.

Note: This thread is 1312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!