Jump to content
HJJ003

What Would Your Home Course Rate on the Doak Scale?

68 posts / 7105 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

LOL.....come on....Semi isn't that bad....not all the holes are lined by housing...I've seen worse.....a 1.5 rating is basically a goat track rating.😂

I don't mind Semi.

I think the resort is under rated and goes under the radar....haven't seen the reno's in the hotel area yet....it's a good place to hold a small short stay biz meeting.

They use to have some really attractively priced all you can play...stay & play packages in the spring.

*************************************************************************************************************

This post below was meant to be a separate post...but it automatically merged with the above recent post of mine.

@phillyk and @Double Mocha Man

IMO...you have rated Eaglemont and Shuksan quite high.

From a reference point.....just curious.

I assume you have both played 5 courses across the border in the Vancouver area...how would you rate those courses?

Yeah Semi is still considered a top 10 course in WA, along with Loomis.  The only course I have played in Canada is Nicklaus North in Whistler of which I'd give a 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would go with a 1.5 based on the abandoned bunkers and the eroded cart paths down steep slopes that makes it downright scary when it is wet out.  It is also very hilly in spots which as led to some short 90 degree dogleg par 4s.  But the greens and fairways are decent bent grass, so maybe it is a little better than a 1.5. That light green area between the blue and white stakes is an abandoned sand trap.

Big Beaver Creek Golf Club

79369530_993544614345532_151964588701646

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, phillyk said:

Yeah Semi is still considered a top 10 course in WA, along with Loomis.  The only course I have played in Canada is Nicklaus North in Whistler of which I'd give a 4.

Yes, Nick North is nothing special.....kinda boring on the holes across the highway....IMO....the worse of the Whistler courses.

It's such a rip off at approx $170 full rack rate in the summer.

Luckily via someone who knew a guy in the pro shop....played it for $40 back in 2003.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Yes, Nick North is nothing special.....kinda boring on the holes across the highway....IMO....the worse of the Whistler courses.

It's such a rip off at approx $170 full rack rate in the summer.

Luckily via someone who knew a guy in the pro shop....played it for $40 back in 2003.

I am looking at playing up at Whistler next summer, if the elbow is ready.  Thanks... I will cull the Nicklaus course from my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2020 at 4:59 PM, sjduffers said:

You'll be glad to know that this course is now closed, for lack of play

Capitalism at work. I am surprised that the designer left it on his "projects" page considering it was so awful. Maybe it was his first job, and then he got better.

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@HJJ003, thanks for the interesting thread and link.

Leslie Park Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI

I rate Leslie as a 4.  @dennyjones can weigh in if my personal feelings resulted in a too high rating.

I tend to not give a lot of credit for perfect conditions versus terrain and design. Leslie is far from manicured but it is located on a great piece of land.  Each hole is different. There are a couple of unique aspects like the pear orchard and the view after climbing "heart attack" hill.

As a muni, the bunkering is not extensive.  It is too short (6,600 yards) to be considered a tough test for top players but it is not a push over for the rest of us.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

@HJJ003, thanks for the interesting thread and link.

Leslie Park Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI

I rate Leslie as a 4.  @dennyjones can weigh in if my personal feelings resulted in a too high rating.

I tend to not give a lot of credit for perfect conditions versus terrain and design. Leslie is far from manicured but it is located on a great piece of land.  Each hole is different. There are a couple of unique aspects like the pear orchard and the view after climbing "heart attack" hill.

As a muni, the bunkering is not extensive.  It is too short (6,600 yards) to be considered a tough test for top players but it is not a push over for the rest of us.

I'd agree with you @bkuehn1952.   Leslie is a nice track.   It does have quite a few unique holes, I enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, lastings said:

Home Course - Chaska Town Course - Chaska, MN

I'd say a 6.5.    It's definitely at least a 6.   I would drive an hour and a half to play it (if it wasn't 5 minutes from my house).  That said, I've driven and hour and half for worse, so it's a bit subjective.   But, i'd think that if someone 100 miles away drove to play it, they'd leave pretty satisfied.   

Went to Minneapolis for a bachelor party in the Summer. The group might have gone with this course but the price scared us off after currency conversion and how expensive the trip already was planned to be.

We ended up playing Keller and still loved our pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Went to Minneapolis for a bachelor party in the Summer. The group might have gone with this course but the price scared us off after currency conversion and how expensive the trip already was planned to be.

We ended up playing Keller and still loved our pick.

Yeah, the $49 chaska resident rate is quite a deal compared to the $74 non-resident.    Not to mention $20 for the cart. 
 

Keller is pretty solid as well, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

River hills country club 

Corpus Christi Texas 

3.  Decent layout.  Has some hills and valleys which makes it unique in this area. 
 

golf only club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone that has the Doak books, do alot of the courses listed overlap with top100 courses website as I often check that site out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

For anyone that has the Doak books, do alot of the courses listed overlap with top100 courses website as I often check that site out.

Doak and his Co-Authors see a lot of those courses. However, you would be shocked at how many of those courses they do not like or at least don’t rate near as highly as one would expect. One of the co-authors actually runs that site, but the rankings are review driven. 
 

Course rating websites and magazine ratings are often slanted to courses with large advertising budgets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sugar Hill Golf Club

Three.  Very average, with a lot of spots where well struck shots will run off the fairway and into the woods, where the briars will keep it for all eternity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Homestead is a solid 2.5. No outstanding features, but they keep it in good shape. 
 

If this were the dork scale, my presence would raise it to an 8. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...