IGNORED

Correlation Between Pace of Play and Unpacking Clubs in Parking Lot

Double Mocha Man
Note: This thread is 1575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

45 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My "speedy" foursome is now up to 5 golfers

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Mr22putt said:

I know you wouldn't do it....but yelling at these old clowns to play faster .....normally has resulted in a positive outcome for me.

Yelling won’t work. I am pretty sure they are hard of hearing and have bad eyesight since they never hear carts pulling up behind them, nor see that the group in front is 4+ holes ahead...

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1:1.  People who take 20 minutes to get their cart in order take forever to do everything else.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I take somewhere between 2-4 minutes at the car. My bag stays attached to its pushcart, but I make sure everything is in it, and set my phone, smokes (I know, they are bad), keys, etc. into their respective places in the bag. It takes me longer with a cart because I load the balls/tees in, and have to switch the slot of my driver and 4W to make them accessible. I want the head of the idiot that designed golf carts that have the roof of the cart overhanging the bag area.

Playing wise, I am the fastest I know by 25%. This is a very conservative estimate. The way I see it, the faster I play, the more chance of a second round on a weekend. For some people its a leisure activity, but I get my excitement from hitting the ball, and if I can see twice as many holes on a given day, then I will attempt to do so.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I do agree that there is a correlation. More than once I have been paired as a single with a guy or group of guys who I saw drive to the course (with me behind them, of course) and/or unpack their stuff and get ready. They are slow doing all that and then they me meet at the first tee, where I have been waiting for them for 5, 10 minutes or more, after I checked in and the guy sends me to the tee telling me I will be second up with so and so... Then I tee off and wait 5 more minutes before they can find their glove, their tee, their ball, their ass, etc... and so goes the rest of the round. Sadly.

I believe slow people are slow at (nearly?) everything. They just seem to operate on a slow clock...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

lol, it's an interesting theory.  I spend about 1 minute at my car.  I put on my shoes, grab my bag, done.  honestly, i can't wait to get to the practice area to warm up. I consider myself fast, but not to the point of sprinting.  just efficient and considerate of those behind or ahead of me.  heres another one, how about slow play and people who show up late or right at the 11th hour for their tee times? 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Five minutes? I pop mine open in < 20 seconds.

Maybe 30 if I have the wheel cover on.

I think you may have come up with a new challenge there Erik! It would have to be with wheel cover on, battery jammed under something (just to make it a bit harder). Swearing is optional but i find it helps in many situations ;-).

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

It probably takes me around 5 minutes from the time my car pulls in till I can be on the tee and ready to hit.  I never wear my golf shoes and drive.  Takes me a minute to wear the shoes, then about 2 to 3 minutes to get my cart and bag set up.  Then another minute or so to get all the stuff out of the bag that I need.

However, I am always fairly quick on the course, and have never found myself to be the cause of latency in any group I am playing with.

I like to get to the course at least 15 minutes before I have to tee off to give myself at least 5 minutes to warm up and stretch before I start playing.  I find it really makes a difference to my game.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I tend to follow my surroundings and flow with the course (if I have played it before) and don't bother with how long I take to setup. If nothing is rushed, then I am not rushed. I don't sit in the car too long or take a large amount of time getting my gear ready. I judge accordingly, but I really don't like to be rushed. I pay my hard earned money to play just like the next person does. It doesn't take long to setup my equipment and put my shoes on.

I am always reasonably well prepared before I even get to the course so if need be, I can be quick on the go. I believe it is all about respect to people and fellow golfers in general. Of course there are those that carry great disrespect for others and could give a rip about anything which usually bring challenges to what may be a good golf game. 

Some weeks ago, me and a buddy played a course and there was a foursome that were in front of us at the first Tee that actually warmed up and stretched on the Tee box delaying those behind them! There were no less than two groups waiting behind us. After quite a wait and seeing this was not going to change, we decided to start on the 10 hole and while we drove the cart over to 10 (we could see #1 tee box from 10) and got set up on the tenth hole we could see they still had not finished.

What is really bad is we tee'd up and drove our balls and two of them were still not finished!

Edited by luchnia

15 hours ago, iacas said:

This one doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes I grab my clubs and throw them on a cart and I'm gone in 15 seconds. Other times setting up a push cart, taking a phone call, waiting a little for a friend, etc. it might take me ten minutes from the time I pull in until I'm ready.

I'm always fast on the golf course.

It takes me about 20-30 minutes to get to the course. Once I get there, I like to unwind from the drive. I don't rush in the parking lot. I go by the John Wooden quote, " Be quick, but don't hurry." I play fast on the course, but I have to be relaxed to do so, so the parking lot takes as long as it takes.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, RussUK said:

I think you may have come up with a new challenge there Erik! It would have to be with wheel cover on, battery jammed under something (just to make it a bit harder). Swearing is optional but i find it helps in many situations ;-).

Battery?

You step on the front tire and pull up. Flip a lever, push a button… and it's done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Battery?

You step on the front tire and pull up. Flip a lever, push a button… and it's done.

I'm thinking of motocaddy. Makes sense you can do it in seconds now :8)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You are welcome to play in my foursome any day...

I always allow anyone setting up a Clicgear golf cart an extra 5 minutes.   😄  And I get it if you're waiting for a friend or your tee time's not for 30 minutes.  Unless you like to warm up first.

It takes me less than a minute to set up my Clicgear. 😉

I don't see a correlation. I like to arrive at the course early and lollygag a bit. I start the round more relaxed that way. I hate having to rush from the car straight to the tee, and it drives me crazy when it's 5 minutes before your tee time and your friend is pulling into the parking lot. Different strokes for different folks.

- Shane

My wife and daughters take 10 minutes just to get out of the car when we get home!

I keep my clubs and shoes in my locker at the course, but once I get to the locker it doesn't take me long to get everything out and situated. That being said I normally get to the golf course with plenty of time to spare so I don't have to rush. I've worked there for 15+ years, I know everyone, and I like to go in and chat, maybe get a cup of coffee, eat breakfast. Talk to the old guys that are always sitting at the "table of wisdom" in the restaurant. I believe in being early and not rushing. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

19 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Probably a big bit of conjecture to say that someone taking their time in one spot is necessarily going to be slow in another. 

One of my habits is to get some place stupid early.  After getting to the course an hour early, obviously there is no rush to do anything. Taking my time at the car or in the pro shop helps pace out my warm-up. Ideally, I get to the first tee close to time without having to stand around and get cold waiting. 

Speed-wise I do fine, particular when I'm playing worth a crap.

I am like you. 

I like to get to the course way before my tee time.  I like to take my time unpacking, observe what's going on.  Get to know the area.  I also need to stretch and get my body ready due to the numerous injuries from life. 

On the course Iike to keep moving, keep pace.

I don't see much correlation in this. I have a friend I barely golf with and he is unpacked on the tee in a breakneck pace. On the course is painfully slow

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I might be onto something.  While on the practice putting green I noticed a guy drive up and unpack his clubs in the adjacent parking lot.  It took him about 20 minutes to accomplish everything... removing clubs, putting on shoes, fussing, fussing and more fussing.  Don't think I would have wanted to play behind that guy.  It made me remember I have a golf friend who does the same thing... 10-15 minutes at his car before navigating to the pro shop.  And he's slow on the course.  (FWIW, I'm about a minute at my car)

Does anyone here think there's a correlation between this type of behavior and pace of play?

Bigger question:  Are some of us just built to be slow?

I LOVE THIS THEORY!!! 
I totally agree with you. Although I've never thought about it before. I do think some folks just run on a slower clock than others. 

Personally, I'm a put my shoes on before I leave the house kind of guy. 

I've always been a decently quick player. Even so, I've made changes over the years to pick up my pace even more. 

1 - My pre-shot routine no longer includes a "practice" swing. I'm pretty sure a practice swing doesn't help anyway.

2 - I no longer draw a line around my ball and try to use it to line up my putts. 

3 - I write down, or otherwise keep my score on the next tee rather than at the green.

6 hours ago, iacas said:

The very first time you open a Clicgear it takes about 45 seconds. After that it's maybe 10. 

I'll race you. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

slow in life, slow everywhere else.

personally?  Frequently I just try to get on sometimes without calling ahead.  So I have to be fast - ("can you be at the tee immediately"....."absolutely"

I actually don't mind slow or fast as long as it's moving.  The worst for me is to be with a slow player "in" my group  and a fast group behind me.  I hate getting pinched like that.  Some people you just can't speed up and then I'm self conscious about that group behind me.  Even if they see me hitting and then walking immediately to my next shot and then fidgeting and waiting for slowpoke to hit...... (eventually I'll try to let them through and join them if they have room....I have no loyalty to a slow stranger I was placed with)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

11 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Personally?  Frequently I just try to get on sometimes without calling ahead.  So I have to be fast - ("can you be at the tee immediately"....."absolutely"

I hear that.  Oftentimes I like to go out early, on the back 9, as a single.  I'll try to time it so I get on the course before the morning's first group is turning.  I'll play a wide open 9 holes in about an hour/hour 15.  I know all the greenskeepers by their first name and I pay attention to keep them safe.  I'm the hour and 15 minutes if any of them want to chat.  But getting to that 10th tee from the parking lot is always nervewracking... sometimes the first group off #1 is super fast and I'm out of luck.  So it's fast-motion from trunk to tee.  Gotta intentionally slow down the swing a bit...

Note: This thread is 1575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!