IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

It is pretty crazy. My house just actually need PTs, and I was amazed to see that aisle. Instead I took this picture. CV must have set my game back 100 years

20200310_211911.jpg

Amazing how long the old grips were.  Must have been a lot of extra choking up back in the day...

Just now, Bonvivant said:

It is pretty crazy. My house just actually need PTs, and I was amazed to see that aisle. Instead I took this picture. CV must have set my game back 100 years

20200310_211911.jpg

Betcha the leather grips and wood shafts transmit virus particles less than our current equipment.  Just sayin'.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

If that's true, then I should stop by the store on my way home.  Probably better top of my gas tank, too, even though I'm only down a couple of gallons from full.  Hmm.  Better stop by the bank and withdraw some greenbacks, too.  As long as I'm at it, better call EF Hutton and dump a bunch of stock.

Aaargh.  This is a very serious medical development, but I think we the public are being played like a piano.

Greenbacks!!!! Are you nuts??? Better buy gold bars. 

10 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

This is a very serious medical development, but I think we the public are being played like a piano.

Ding!

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Amazing how long the old grips were.  Must have been a lot of extra choking up back in the day...

When they only played with 2 woods and 4-5 irons, you gotta manufacture some yardages, that is for dang sure.

Just now, Missouri Swede said:

Betcha the leather grips and wood shafts transmit virus particles less than our current equipment.  Just sayin'.

Lol, I'll do some research on that one.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hi @Bonvivant I think that your post shows just how much mis-information is being spread. I had to take my son to the emergency room, this morning around 2:30AM. (Not Corona Virus related... and he's fine now) My son and I were the only patients there so we took the opportunity to to talk with a couple of the doctors. The stats they gave me were that the FLU type B kills about 0.7% of the people infected with it in the US. The Flu type A, about 0.3%. The numbers work themselves out to about 3/4 of million cases of flu per year and about 40-49,000 people per year in the US who die from the flu. 

RIGHT NOW he says IN THE US the morality rate for the Corona Virus is about 0.7%. The quoted 2-5% number comes from the WHO, they count all the cases including one town in China where the morality rate was much much higher and brings the number way up.

Having said that, he also said that they (I took it to mean ER doctors) have been being briefed to be prepared for a couple things concerning the Corona Virus.

1 - There are probably WAY more cases in the US than have been counted. He says that a lot of people who get it will not know they have it. They may perceive it as a cold or the common flu as for many the symptoms are even milder than the cold or flu symptoms we are familiar with here IN THE US

2 - The mortality rate IN THE US will probably end up much lower than the flu when it's all said and done. Because the rate is based on the number of deaths divided by the number of cases and they expect the number of cases to skyrocket. They expect the final mortality number to be someplace less than 0.1%.

3 - Having said all of that. He says that the big issue with Corona Virus is that they are ill prepared to deal with it for the elderly and for people with compromised immune systems. According to these guys they have been told that the death rate among the elderly and folks especially people with respiratory issues is going to be really high. (Maybe as much as 5% or more.) 

4 - So to sum it all up, these guys (doctors) have been attending meetings on this thing and what they are being told is that for the average healthy person the risk is really low. Some people may not even know they have it, which scares the hell out of the doctors, because then you become a carrier. Especially children becoming carriers. For people with respiratory issues, compromised immune systems, or the elderly it can be really dangerous. So, in the end they expect to see better numbers than we see with the flu for the general population, however, they fear it's going to be much harder to treat in high-risk people than the flu currently is. 

According to these guys, the media has done a terrible job. Spreading mis-information, compared to what the doctors are being told. I have to agree with them as I have been trying to follow it online and every day it seems to switch from the worst pandemic in the history of mankind, to we are over-reacting and more people will die this year from bee-stings. 

well I’m glad they feel that way about it and I hope they end up being right but right now the official number of infected in Italy (yes Italy not some 3rd world country) is 12462. The number of deaths is 827. 0.1% is 46. 

1.  Yes.  Frail elderly living with us, so, we have to be very careful.

2.  Yes.  I am not taking an overseas trip or any travel at this time.  I was thinking of going over to Ireland or Scotland.  No way right now.  

OT stuff:

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

From what I understand, hickory shafts provided more shot making ability than steel shafts, probably because they are made of wood. Different bend profiles and all.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

When they only played with 2 woods and 4-5 irons, you gotta manufacture some yardages, that is for dang sure.

A lot of people played with 20-30 clubs in their bag before the 14 club rule was in place.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, dennyjones said:

1.  Has the Coronavirus affected you

Yes. I work in a scientific / engineering role for a large company (Big Biotech / Pharma). Due to the global nature of our business, we are being given plenty of corporate-ized updates, mainly for business travel. My site is rather proactive about taking precautionary measures. I have the option to work from home, if I want, and there additional cleaning and sanitization measures, beyond the already incredibly stringent cleanliness standards we keep.

I have some friends who are physicians who have much bleaker outlook than some expressed here. One cited that the US has less available beds per capita than Italy, and expects a worse case fatality rate than Italy if there is a large spike in the US. Current case fatality rates are probably overestimated, but I saw a model that predicted 1.5%, which is pretty bad. Seems like elderly and immuno-compromised are hit hardest, but in Italy there are cases of healthy 20, 30 and 40 year old patients going critical and dying. Everyone is at some degree of risk. We have no idea what, if any, long term effects of the virus are.

Italy locked down the entire country to contain the outbreak, which to me is a strong indication that this isn't just like the flu. There is no vaccine. There is no treatment for the novel virus. Symptoms may be mild and treatable with home care, or you may need to be in the ICU. In the US, it appears that we may be unprepared for what is coming (2 weeks ago in Italy there were 20 cases or something like that). There is a lot of hysteria also a lot of nonchalance drummed up by politics and media, and getting reliable information is difficult.

Do we have enough hospital beds, enough ventilators, enough doctors? I don't think anyone knows. It will be fine, until the moment it isn't.

9 hours ago, dennyjones said:

2.  Do you think it will affect your golf game?

No, as long as I am not sick. Golf seems pretty good for social distancing, especially since I walk. I will be spending as little time as possible in the pro shop and clubhouse, keeping my distance on tee boxes and greens, and definitely avoiding handshakes and high fives.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I thought of one more thing... touching/removing the flagstick.

Don't have to do that as of Jan 1, 2019.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Don't have to do that as of Jan 1, 2019.

Picking and choosing when to remove the flagstick will come to an end, at least for the duration of this novel virus.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Yes the virus has affected me, because my wife is in Germany undergoing cancer treatment, she just finished her last chemotherapy session, so she was going to come home for 2.5 weeks before her immunotherapy starts, but with her weakened immune system looks like maybe not a good idea to fly. And, the Donald just banned all travel from the EU, with exceptions made to certain Americans who have undergone special screening, whatever that means.

As far as affecting my golf game, well if she doesn't come home on the 20th, then I'll be playing those 2 weeks.  

To add, I would brush up on the Walking Dead, World War Z, Zombieland, this is how they start. 

Edited by snapfade
added zombie outbreak warning

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

No, it hasn't affected me physically. However, yesterday the Governor shut down attendance to hockey games that I was planning to attend. I completely understand the reasoning behind it so I'm not upset about that. I suspect my daughter's club volleyball tournaments will not be far behind. NCAA basketball tournament will not have spectators so I can only assume, although it is about a month away, the NCAA Frozen Four tournament will follow suit. Sadly, I have tickets to this tournament with a friend and we have been planning it since October. 

16 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I'm not sure what to do - post round handshakes, the last two times I've played this month it's been normal, handshake, nice round. I'm prepared for someone to say, sorry, but I'll refrain from handshakes in light of the present situation. Maybe bump elbows or shoes or something?

What concerns me most about the post round handshakes is everyone is out of toilet paper! Last weekend at a large volleyball tournament in Louisville, the girls were abstaining altogether or elbow tapping. 

I do not see it affecting my golf game unless I become sick.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

6 hours ago, snapfade said:

Yes the virus has affected me, because my wife is in Germany undergoing cancer treatment, she just finished her last chemotherapy session, so she was going to come home for 2.5 weeks before her immunotherapy starts, but with her weakened immune system looks like maybe not a good idea to fly. And, the Donald just banned all travel from the EU, with exceptions made to certain Americans who have undergone special screening, whatever that means.

As far as affecting my golf game, well if she doesn't come home on the 20th, then I'll be playing those 2 weeks.  

To add, I would brush up on the Walking Dead, World War Z, Zombieland, this is how they start. 

Best of luck. My mom just finished her treatment. We are keeping people away.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I hope it wont however not being able to play for a few weeks is pretty insignificant compared to staying healthy.

I wont lie and say i'm not worried as I am a little. My parents are both 75 and look after my kids after school two days a week so i worry about them but they seem unflustered about it all.

I have kidney disease so im slightly more at risk than a healthy person but less at risk than those with respiritory issues.

They do say that in 99% of those who get it they will have a mild to moderate case of covid-19. All the deaths in the UK have been patients with serious underlying health conditions.

Still not helping my anxiety much though :-(

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

(edited)
14 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I have some friends who are physicians who have much bleaker outlook than some expressed here. One cited that the US has less available beds per capita than Italy, and expects a worse case fatality rate than Italy if there is a large spike in the US. Current case fatality rates are probably overestimated, but I saw a model that predicted 1.5%, which is pretty bad. Seems like elderly and immuno-compromised are hit hardest, but in Italy there are cases of healthy 20, 30 and 40 year old patients going critical and dying. Everyone is at some degree of risk. We have no idea what, if any, long term effects of the virus are.

Italy locked down the entire country to contain the outbreak, which to me is a strong indication that this isn't just like the flu. There is no vaccine. There is no treatment for the novel virus. Symptoms may be mild and treatable with home care, or you may need to be in the ICU. In the US, it appears that we may be unprepared for what is coming (2 weeks ago in Italy there were 20 cases or something like that). There is a lot of hysteria also a lot of nonchalance drummed up by politics and media, and getting reliable information is difficult.

From what I have read on Italy, the reason it spread so bad there is because COVID-19 happened right as Italy was experiencing their seasonal peak of the flu and were being treated as the flu because the symptoms are about the same. The results were their hospital becoming a breeding ground for the spread of COVID. The virus was basically spreading undetected which accounts for the abnormally high amount of cases in that area. And then it boiled down to testing. I have read in a few articles that they have tested much more intensely than other European countries which is going to show a much higher infection rate.Not to mention the average age of death from the COVID-19 in Italy is 81. They have a very high percentage of people over 65. So, yeah, there have been some younger people die from the virus, but that happens with the flu as well. One of Italy's first cases was a 30 something year old man that died. He had gone to the hospital several times and they never picked up that he had the virus. With the virus initially being mistaken for the flu and not treated appropriately, there is no telling how long the virus had been being spread before they realized what was happening. He infected many nurses and doctors during this process. While Italy has had a terrible situation, I don't think it is really comparing apples to apples with the US. As far as available beds and doctors and what not, that might end up being an issue just from the mass hysteria that could present itself with people going into a panic thinking they have the virus. While I work for AT&T, I work onsite at the biggest hospital in our area. I can remember years ago when the flu got really bad. The ER was full, most of the hospital was full, and they had areas quarantined off for flu patients. I could easily see a situation like this happening.

One reference as of yesterday:

122,419 cases of coronavirus and a total of 4,389 deaths.

Of the cases, 66,958 have recovered and 51,072 are currently sick with the virus

The most cases are in China - 80,787 - where the virus originated, from the city of Wuhan

The death toll is the highest in China at 3,160, but Italy is in second with 631, followed by Iran with 354 deaths.

I have kind of sent this off topic so this will be my last post related strictly to the virus and not what the OP intended.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!