IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note:Β This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

7 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Gov. Newsome just closed all businesses with few exceptions such asΒ grocery stores, pharmacies etc. He also made it a law that everyone stay home. So it looks like every golf course in Ca is now closed.

This is confusing. If it is law to stay home then why is aything open?

• :titleist:Β 917 D2 9.5oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β :titleist:Β 917 F2Β 15oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β 
  • :titleist:Β 818 H2 19oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ 
  • :titleist:Β 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey:Β 52/8oΒ SM6 RAWΒ  Β  56/14oΒ SM6 ChromeΒ  Β  Β  60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell:Β MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, topoftheline89 said:

I played 9 holes today in sopping wet conditions from overnight rain. At this municiple course (Madden Hills) in Dayton OH they left the cup coming out of the ground 2-3 inches. I am assuming that this is in response to corona virus to prevent people from putting their hands in the cup or on the flag stick.Β  It could also be weather related but I had not seen that ever before.It really bothered me at first but once I accepted it as intentional and not odd mistake after seeing the same on whole two, it wasn't so bad.

That is exactly what they are doing along with other things posted on their website.

image.png

18 hours ago, billchao said:

I can’t wait for the internet to come up with a picture of an embedded ball touching the cup liner, β€œIs this an Ace?” πŸ˜‰

I could see myself finally getting an "ace" this way. 😭

- Shane

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

People need essential items. Medication. Food.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

It's probably similar to a Level III snow emergency here. If you don't have a valid reason for being out, you could get arrested or fined.

- Shane

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

In effect you’d be increasing the size of the hole. Β Just as with any other large hole tournament, I can’t envision any scenario where you could actually post a score.

This is why I suggested using some judgement and Most Likely Score (for posting purposes only).Β  A putt that just barely grazes the cup liner would almost certainly not have been holed.Β  The Handicap Rules allow the use of Most Likely Score for an unlimited number of holes in each round, so it's probably the only option if it is determined that scores made this way must be posted.Β Β 

I've seen a couple of other ways to minimize contact with the cup when removing balls.Β  A short piece of pool noodle (say 3 inches or so) can be threaded on the flagstick, allowing the ball to settle into the hole, but only a bit below the surface.Β  Alternatively, the cup liner can be installed upside down.Β  Either way, a "holed" ball can be removed without contacting either the flagstick or the cup liner.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

49 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is why I suggested using some judgement and Most Likely Score (for posting purposes only).Β  A putt that just barely grazes the cup liner would almost certainly not have been holed.Β  The Handicap Rules allow the use of Most Likely Score for an unlimited number of holes in each round, so it's probably the only option if it is determined that scores made this way must be posted.Β Β 

I've seen a couple of other ways to minimize contact with the cup when removing balls.Β  A short piece of pool noodle (say 3 inches or so) can be threaded on the flagstick, allowing the ball to settle into the hole, but only a bit below the surface.Β  Alternatively, the cup liner can be installed upside down.Β  Either way, a "holed" ball can be removed without contacting either the flagstick or the cup liner.

Β 

50 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The β€œmost likely score” post still requires that the hole be payed under the rules of golf...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My golf club just announced they are closing, effective immediately. I wonder if other courses in town will follow.

There was just an article about an increase in business at the local golf courses here and I was just thinking more people will come out thinking it is safe. I have not played recently and wasn’t planning to anyway so this is not a surprise. I will be setting up my net today in my backyard to continue swinging. Stay safe out there!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The β€œmost likely score” post still requires that the hole be payed under the rules of golf...

David, I don't care what you do at your club.Β  I am assuming that you have played in accordance with the rules of golf up to your (almost) final putt.Β  MLS applies for a hole not completed.Β  If the ball isn't holed, the hole has not been completed, so its completely legitimate to record Most Likely Score.Β  That is the ONLY possible way to record these scores for handicap purposes.Β  I wouldn't argue if a Committee or Association directs players not to post these scores, but it shouldn't be left to individual players to decide.Β Β 

The USGA in general has shown that they would prefer to have as many scores as reasonably possible included in Handicap evaluation.Β  I am merely looking for a method that is generally consistent with the Handicap Rules to allow these scores to be posted, while allowing courses to decrease the risk of surface contamination to the players.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Since last night Argentina entered in a 2 week quarantine for everyone. You can only go out to buy food or medicine. No golf for me for at least 2 more weeks.Β 

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

David, I don't care what you do at your club.Β  I am assuming that you have played in accordance with the rules of golf up to your (almost) final putt.Β  MLS applies for a hole not completed.Β  If the ball isn't holed, the hole has not been completed, so its completely legitimate to record Most Likely Score.Β  That is the ONLY possible way to record these scores for handicap purposes.Β  I wouldn't argue if a Committee or Association directs players not to post these scores, but it shouldn't be left to individual players to decide.Β Β 

The USGA in general has shown that they would prefer to have as many scores as reasonably possible included in Handicap evaluation.Β  I am merely looking for a method that is generally consistent with the Handicap Rules to allow these scores to be posted, while allowing courses to decrease the risk of surface contamination to the players.

I guess it’s a question for the USGA, but the intent of β€œmost likely score” Is to cover match play concessions and perhaps the very occasional β€œout of the hole” pick-up. Β Not an entire round played outside the rules.

Holes not played by the rules are generally scored as par +, Β but an entire round intentionally notΒ played underΒ the rules generally wouldn'tΒ be posted, regardless of the reason.
Β 

Again, maybe a good question for theΒ USGA...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Β 

And the hole is played under the Rules, it's just not completed.

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

David, I don't care what you do at your club.Β  I am assuming that you have played in accordance with the rules of golf up to your (almost) final putt.Β  MLS applies for a hole not completed.Β  If the ball isn't holed, the hole has not been completed, so its completely legitimate to record Most Likely Score.Β  That is the ONLY possible way to record these scores for handicap purposes.Β  I wouldn't argue if a Committee or Association directs players not to post these scores, but it shouldn't be left to individual players to decide.

This is all true.

Now, to be clear, the Rules don't really support playing aΒ tournamentΒ with raised cups, but do support "most likely score" for handicap rounds.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

And the hole is played under the Rules, it's just not completed.

This is all true.

Now, to be clear, the Rules don't really support playing aΒ tournamentΒ with raised cups, but do support "most likely score" for handicap rounds.

I still don’t think most likely score would be any more appropriate there, than in any other large cup round. Β There are just too many variables and subjectivities that go far beyond, β€œI’m most likely to 2 putt from 20 feet away”... Β 

Let me ask it this way. Β If weΒ were to play a large cup event/roundΒ with 6” cups, would you post a score? Β I wouldn’t. Β 

Again, I’d like to hear what the USGA says.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Due to the governor's latest advisory yesterday it looks like all of our local courses will be closed effective today. At this point I am not sure I want to go out there even if they are not. It is really getting weird now.

I bought a net like ages ago but never used it. I will install it this weekend.

Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Dave, in your opinion, where would "most likely score" begin?

It's easy to say that if you lag it to 2 feet, you are most likely to have made that putt and record your score accordingly.Β 

But what if you strike a putt from 12 feet that hit the raised cup dead center at perfect speed? Do you record a 1 putt? Or say that it was most likely you would have 2 putted from there?

Maybe it could begin once you reach the green - but then what if I am facing an 80 footer, where I would be most likely to 3 putt? If I lag it to 1 foot, do I still take that 3 putt? And if I do the same from just off the fringe, does it then become a 1 putt?Β 

Thinking it through, I can't think of a logical starting point for "most likely" - which leads me to conclude these rounds cannot be recorded at all.Β 

But I'm interested in your comments.

Edited to add: Maybe the starting point, is the point from where your next putt hits the liner? In other words, if you hit the liner from 12 feet, you still record a 2 putt. If you hit the 80 footer to 1 foot and tap into the liner, you also record a 2 putt. Seems to make the most sense, but it would definitely inflate scores, IMO. In other words, a pulled 5 footer that is statistically likely to be made, but misses the entire cup would be recorded as a 2 putt. But any great putts that would have been made outside of 7-8 feet also go down at 2 putts. I'm not sure that is an ideal solution either...

Β 

Edited by Big C

We’re still open. This sign is new today.Β 62084AD1-0CFE-4319-99F5-2D35626DD294.jpeg.b1fbd84cfbbb62ecf0324ce9529b83fa.jpeg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: SilencerΒ bag (on the :clicgear:Β cart)
Driver: :callaway:Β Razr Fit 10.5Β° Β 
5 Wood: :tmade:Β Burner Β 
Hybrid: :cobra:Β Baffler DWSΒ 20Β°
Irons: :ping:Β G400Β 
Wedge:Β :ping:Β Glide 2.0Β 54Β° ES grindΒ 
Putter: :heavyputter:Β  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,Β Β :bushnell:Β Tour V4

Note:Β This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!