IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Just wait. Because of people only doing what’s “mandated,” many states are mandating closure of all non-life-sustaining businesses. Including golf courses.

NY just closed their courses I think.

I haven't called Bethpage and the NY State parks website looks like it might have been hacked so I'm not opening up that url, but I saw this on Twitter. My last round was Mar 9, I don't plan on playing anytime in the foreseeable future.

This is how Bethpage is altering its cups.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Frankly, I don't like sharing a cart.  This could be the upside of ZombieApocalypse/SkyNET

and it's totally ruined the 'getting acquainted' ritual of swapping iron covers on the 1st tee

2020-03-23 12_38_11-Has Coronavirus Affected Your Golf_ - Page 24 - Golf Talk - The Sand Trap .com.jpg

That will NOT make the right (and, oh so satisfying) sound.  No sir.  So sir ree Bob.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Thinking about mat and net purchase now. Local courses close after today so I will need something to do on nice days

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, Arnold Woods said:

No golf for a couple of weeks, courses remain closed.

Welcome to TST!   Where are you that the courses are closed?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I haven't called Bethpage and the NY State parks website looks like it might have been hacked so I'm not opening up that url, but I saw this on Twitter. My last round was Mar 9, I don't plan on playing anytime in the foreseeable future.

State courses, including Bethpage, are open (they announced closures yesterday, but decided to stay open) as are Westchester courses. I played Saturday. NYC courses closed however.

I don't know exactly how it works, but my course raised the cups so the ball falls down about a half inch and you can get it out without touching anything.  Seemed to work really well.

And then the governor closed all non-essential businesses yesterday and courses all closed.  My understanding is that maintenance will continue.  And its been suggested at one course I frequent that if we were to show up and "go for a walk" nobody would stop us.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

This topic has a poll and some other things. Let's take the conversation over there for now, especially regarding how courses are handling this situation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have any of y’all been golfing at a course with raised cups? If so, how do you determine whether a putt is holed? My brother and I just played nine holes last Saturday, and we didn’t know about the raised cups until we got to the course. Because we’ve never seen anything like it before, we didn’t know how to play it. After a few minutes’ discussion, we decided that even if our balls hit the side of the cup, we wouldn’t count it unless we believe it would’ve gone in under normal conditions. I ended up shooting 41. An excellent score, but I believe there were one or two I gave myself that wouldn’t have dropped if the cups weren’t raised, so my ‘real’ score probably would’ve been 42 or 43. Still a very good performance for me. But talking with my dad on the drive home, I realized I probably wouldn’t have a ‘real’ score for the next few months.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

It's a judgement call, there will be those that will slam the ball off the cup and it will ricochet off the green and they will say they holed it. It's temporary.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

22 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Have any of y’all been golfing at a course with raised cups? If so, how do you determine whether a putt is holed? My brother and I just played nine holes last Saturday, and we didn’t know about the raised cups until we got to the course. Because we’ve never seen anything like it before, we didn’t know how to play it. After a few minutes’ discussion, we decided that even if our balls hit the side of the cup, we wouldn’t count it unless we believe it would’ve gone in under normal conditions. I ended up shooting 41. An excellent score, but I believe there were one or two I gave myself that wouldn’t have dropped if the cups weren’t raised, so my ‘real’ score probably would’ve been 42 or 43. Still a very good performance for me. But talking with my dad on the drive home, I realized I probably wouldn’t have a ‘real’ score for the next few months.

If you're competing with someone else, you're free to decide how to score these.  As for this being a "real score", the USGA has specifically extended the use of "most likely score" for handicap posting while these measures are in effect.  See the last bits here:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rulesarticles/covid-19-rules-and-handicapping-faqs.html

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As for this being a "real score", the USGA has specifically extended the use of "most likely score" for handicap posting while these measures are in effect.  See the last bits here:

Our GM has indicated score posting is suspended, yesterday.
Not sure why, I emailed the article to him this morning.

Mother nature is still controlling my interest in playing.
Not a big fan of Mud Golf... And slow punched greens ...

Spring is just a few more weeks away …  :whistle:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

22 hours ago, dsc123 said:

I don't know exactly how it works, but my course raised the cups so the ball falls down about a half inch and you can get it out without touching anything.  Seemed to work really well.

And then the governor closed all non-essential businesses yesterday and courses all closed.  My understanding is that maintenance will continue.  And its been suggested at one course I frequent that if we were to show up and "go for a walk" nobody would stop us.

They turn the cup up side down. In the UK all courses are closed, and will be for at least three weeks. My guess is that they won't open until about June. 

LOL Trump has said he wants the Corona crisis sorted by Easter in the USA, good luck with that one 

- Simon Hornsby

On 3/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, nevets88 said:

This is how Bethpage is altering its cups.

I got the same email from NY State Parks, I play Sunken Meadow mostly, you have register a tee time on line, no walk ups.  If this darn weather get better I'll be out there but I'm sure I will play like crap given the last time I played was weeks ago.

@cooke119 very odd how Monday 3/22 no golf at Sunken or Bethpage. Now tee times limited. Too bad the weekend is a wash. All county courses are also open. Again. Rain out all weekend. Good luck. Maybe I will see you out there. I play sunken quite a bit. 

I think they just aerated the blue last week or so. Maybe green. I can’t remember 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

9 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

While the virus has not affected me directly - it has changed the way we play.   Cases in point - last Friday, the course we played had done limited measures - inverted cups on all the holes, i.e. the ball goes in but only about 1/2-3/4", flagsticks were to stay in the cups otherwise pretty much normal.  Yesterday (Tues) - different course, different rules - course pro (using social distancing) told us no ball washers, no coolers, no bunker rakes, all carts disinfected, all holes had pins cut to center of green, no flags and 2" spacers placed at top of cup.  He said, "if your ball hits the cup, count it as going in".  The hardest part was "seeing" where the cup was on approaches.  However in terms of putting, I personally found it easier to "make" putts as I could lock in on the exposed rim.  Over all, pace of play was good....of course, my score was not anything to write home about, then again it never is. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

2 minutes ago, WillieT said:

While the virus has not affected me directly - it has changed the way we play.   Cases in point - last Friday, the course we played had done limited measures - inverted cups on all the holes, i.e. the ball goes in but only about 1/2-3/4", flagsticks were to stay in the cups otherwise pretty much normal.  Yesterday (Tues) - different course, different rules - course pro (using social distancing) told us no ball washers, no coolers, no bunker rakes, all carts disinfected, all holes had pins cut to center of green, no flags and 2" spacers placed at top of cup.  He said, "if your ball hits the cup, count it as going in".  The hardest part was "seeing" where the cup was on approaches.  However in terms of putting, I personally found it easier to "make" putts as I could lock in on the exposed rim.  Over all, pace of play was good....of course, my score was not anything to write home about, then again it never is. 

Before our courses closed on Tuesday I did not get to experience no flagsticks, hole in center of green.  Probably would have forced me into a better score.  But I wonder how long they can do that before the center of the green gets worn thin?

Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!