Alohaed

COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

165 posts / 6539 viewsLast Reply

13 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Thank goodness that people like yourself aren't in a position to exert any  authority in circumstances like this.

On what possible basis can you "just disagree"?

Your kind of thinking is what causes this disease to spread unabated.

Oh geez, lefty. Stop with these stupid posts where you mock everyone for their opinions on a matter and try and be the internet tough guy. There's underreaction and overreaction to this, and you're part of the overreaction problem. 

As I've said, I think they're doing the right thing around the nation. I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday. Same with NCAA and an abbreviated tourney. I don't think it would have caused a nationwide panic if they would have played those two events this past weekend with no audience. That's my opinion. Obviously, you think otherwise and think armageddon is taking place in the United States. 

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

Oh geez, lefty. Stop with these stupid posts where you mock everyone for their opinions on a matter and try and be the internet tough guy. There's underreaction and overreaction to this, and you're part of the overreaction problem. 

As I've said, I think they're doing the right thing around the nation. I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday. Same with NCAA and an abbreviated tourney. I don't think it would have caused a nationwide panic if they would have played those two events this past weekend with no audience. That's my opinion. Obviously, you think otherwise and think armageddon is taking place in the United States. 

An uneducated person can't have an "opinion" on something like this and expect it to be accepted without comment.

How the hell can you say "I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday". That's the sort of thing your President would say.

If I said "I think the Masters should go ahead" That is not an opinion that I would expect to be accepted and left uncriticised.

Where is the overreaction by the way.

Extreme times for extreme measures. Just because life is about to become very inconvenient you (no you personally) can't just say"I think we should just do what would be more convenient for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Could these sporting events have taken place without any exponential spread of the virus occurring as a result?  Maybe, maybe not.  We cannot know that answer, but it is at least plausible to suggest that going forward would have not had any major effect in the nationwide spread of this virus.

That said, even one unnecessary death resulting from going forward with these events would have been too many, in my opinion.  Death is the final act of living and is something that we all have to face, but I see sports as inconsequential compared to infecting one person who could have been saved.  

Just my $0.02 worth.

Better to look back and say we did too much than to realize we didn’t do enough. 

Without serious intervention and self sacrifice it looks like we’re (US) on track to experience what Italy is going through right now.

25 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

An uneducated person can't have an "opinion" on something like this and expect it to be accepted without comment.

You're right, I don't a PhD in the medical field. I'm not an expert on the Coronavirus. I have a friend who is pretty damn highly qualified and he told me a little bit about it and I form my opinion based off what he's told me. Just a guess, but I am pretty sure based on his doctorate degrees he knows more about the virus than anyone here.

How the hell can you say "I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday". That's the sort of thing your President would say.

Your President? Ahhh...now I see what this is all about. You're one of those political guys who believes this is the President's fault and he's to blame. I got better things to do with my time than argue politics with an Anti-Trump whack job who complains and whines about everything they do. Have a nice weekend.

Edited by ChrisP

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

You're right, I don't a PhD in the medical field. I'm not an expert on the Coronavirus. I have a friend who is pretty damn highly qualified and he told me a little bit about it and I form my opinion based off what he's told me. Just a guess, but I am pretty sure based on his doctorate degrees he knows more about the virus than anyone here.

It's funny, we all have that one person or source we should believe.  That's the problem though, isn't it?  True data and information is hard to find sometimes.  I talked to my parents yesterday as they are to travel to WA to visit later this month.  They both worked in development of Anti-viral drugs.  They aren't worried yet.  So long as everyone does their due diligence to be clean and safe, it will work out.

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Your President? Ahhh...now I see what this is all about. You're one of those political guys who believes this is the President's fault and he's to blame. I got better things to do with my time than argue politics with an Anti-Trump whack job who complains and whines about everything they do. Have a nice weekend.

It is not his fault. But his shameful response to it has contributed to it massively. Your are 6 weeks behind where you should be.

I'm trying to keep politics out of this but the need to deal with this crisis should be seen by EVERYONE as being more important than maintaining popularity amongst an apparently brain dead 30% of a nation's population.

That was my last post in this thread.

6 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I just disagree. Sorry. I think they could have played Friday, 36 on Saturday and end it early. I understand the family aspect of it, which is why I'm not arguing against future tourneys being cancelled, but I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday night and at least crowned a champion. 

Ridiculous position to take. Jeopardizes the lives of thousands, and the well-being of so many more.

This stuff is basic science. Basic math and stats.

4 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Your kind of thinking is what causes this disease to spread unabated.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

No politics.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:58 PM, nevets88 said:

Listened to the latest emergency No Laying Up podcast episode and they went through a timeline of what happened up to the cancellation and I totally agree with what they said.

I think they were very harsh in their criticism of the Tour, in view of how rapidly things changed over a matter of days/hours. It’s easy to Monday-morning quarterback.

No Laying Up released another episode, mostly speculating, during and post shutdown.

480x270_123279.jpg

Listen to No Laying Up - Golf Podcast episodes free, on demand. As professional golf goes on an indefinite hiatus due to the coronavirus we...

19 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I think they were very harsh in their criticism of the Tour, in view of how rapidly things changed over a matter of days/hours. It’s easy to Monday-morning quarterback.

If you check out their twitter, you'll see that they were critical before the first round was played. 

Rumors, emphasis, rumors, Masters in early October.

10OldMasters1-superJumbo-1.jpg

It is looking like this year’s Masters Golf Tournament will be rescheduled for the middle of October. Representatives for the Augusta National Golf Club...

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Rumors, emphasis, rumors, Masters in early October.

10OldMasters1-superJumbo-1.jpg

It is looking like this year’s Masters Golf Tournament will be rescheduled for the middle of October. Representatives for the Augusta National Golf Club...

They got me a Masters for my birthday? They shouldn't have!

Euro Tour suspending ticket sales.

kxyruapecktjlf8japgu

I wanted to give you an update regarding the current global situation in relation to Coronavirus (COVID-19). First and foremost, I would like to offer...

12 hours ago, jamo said:

They got me a Masters for my birthday? They shouldn't have!

You have been very good this year!