IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

Last weekend we could play but clubhouse etc was closed. Flagsticks were removed with holes in centre of every green, as of this week though all courses are now closed til at least April 19th but we all know it'll be a lot longer than that

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought I'd add to my golf experiences in Metro Phoenix as I had posted my experiences at the course on Tuesday.  Got bored yesterday afternoon and went out to walk 9 holes at a small 9 hole course near here.  A low end ($15 after Noon) course but something to do and an interesting layout.  One par 5, four par 4s and 3s.  Unlike my Tuesday, at this course there were ball washers, sand bottles, and all the usual stuff without anything to keep the ball out of hole and no warning about touching the flag sticks.  The restaurant was closed but the take out window as open as was the patio where a few had gathered (less than 10).  From this I take it that not all courses are following the guide lines.   Going out again today to a 18 hole course in another suburb near here,  I'll let you know how it goes with the restrictions.

Butch

• Administrator
cor-3.jpg?w=1200&h=675&ixlib=react-8.6.4

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy...

I recommend reading that, if for no other reason than to realize just how little people freaking know about this shit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
golfers-playing-near-sunset-walking-down

Things change daily with the coronavirus, but here's an updated list from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America on where it’s still OK to play golf

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:
cor-3.jpg?w=1200&h=675&ixlib=react-8.6.4

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy...

I recommend reading that, if for no other reason than to realize just how little people freaking know about this shit.

Very ture. We know very little because the virus has only been identified for about 4 months. We are making decisions on the best information available and the repercussions of what could happen.

The article is great information but still not a good reason to ignore or revoke the shelter in place orders. If his predictions are correct then the curve should bend significantly very soon. The cost if he is wrong is just too big at this point to change direction without proof.

• Like 1

Mass courses are reopening Friday. Most of the same restrictions in place as have been posted already. The only thing my course is slightly different on are carts. They rent them, and have fewer this time of year. There are not enough for one per person so they will assign two per cart but they take turns walking/riding. Never two in a cart. People ignoring this will be told to leave, no refunds.

I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

Just a quick update, the state is allowing it, but local officials are not required to allow it. Each community, it seems, may decide. 

Edited by Papa Steve 55
  • Like 1

It's not golf but worth your time to save lives.   If you didn't think was real, list to this ER nurse in Michigan.   She's talking about making decision about who lives and who dies.   This is definitely worth the watch:

Michigan ER nurse's plea

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

It's not golf but worth your time to save lives.   If you didn't think was real, list to this ER nurse in Michigan.   She's talking about making decision about who lives and who dies.   This is definitely worth the watch:

Michigan ER nurse's plea

That highlights the differences in regions. We aren't all seeing at all the same things. In Erie, we have five cases, and all five should be classified as "prior" or "non-active" soon. Today or something. And the counties near here have no cases, currently.

Yet Philly, NYC, Detroit… other places, it's BAD.

What I did today will not result in anything changing. If I lived in Detroit, I would be inside my house and probably not even going on walks.

58 minutes ago, iacas said:

That highlights the differences in regions. We aren't all seeing at all the same things. In Erie, we have five cases, and all five should be classified as "prior" or "non-active" soon. Today or something. And the counties near here have no cases, currently.

Yet Philly, NYC, Detroit… other places, it's BAD.

What I did today will not result in anything changing. If I lived in Detroit, I would be inside my house and probably not even going on walks.

A lot of our summer residents here on Cape Cod are from NYC. They are coming here now. Year round locals making a lot of noise about it, but I doubt there is anything to be done w/o an interstate travel ban. Got to admit, I'm not too comfortable with some of my neighbors suggesting they stay in NYC and take their chances. Its safer here, by a degree or two I guess, but they are just trying to do what they think  is best for their families.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

• Administrator

Yeah, if I had a second home somewhere safe, and I lived in NYC, I'd be getting out.

Let's try to keep this topic mostly about golf in this time. I know it's tough, but maybe a general COVID topic in the grill room is good. I'll start one now.

I don't know about the ones near me, yet, because I still haven't gotten around to playing golf in O.C. since moving here over half a year ago.  However, the courses in L.A. (which I periodically go back to, part to play and always to play with friends) have closed as of last Sunday (final rounds were on Saturday).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, iacas said:
golfers-playing-near-sunset-walking-down

Things change daily with the coronavirus, but here's an updated list from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America on where it’s still OK to play golf

I’m not sure what the “pending” means, unless it just means that no specific directive has been issued by the state. It lists Missouri as pending, and we’re playing. At least at my muni.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

The governor had a town hall meeting tonight on TV and my question wasn't directly answered about golf.   She did suggest that if you are essential, stay home.   

This is from Davison Country Club: (semi-private)

Below is the most recent clarification from the Governor’s Office regarding operating the golf course.

Posted this morning to the 2020-21 Executive Order Q&A.

Q: Are golf course employees considered critical infrastructure workers for the purposes of Executive Order 2020-21?

A: No, golf course employees are not considered critical infrastructure workers. As needed, however, golf courses may designate workers to leave their home for work if their in-person presence is strictly necessary to conduct the minimum basic operations listed in section 4(b) of the order. Minimum basic operations do not include serving members of the public.

For specific questions regarding play, please contact your local law enforcement and liquor control commission for clarity as it applies to your specific operation until the Michigan Golf Alliance receives further clarification from the Office of the Governor.

DCC’s Position: Based on this clarification the DCC will operate as follows:

* The course will available to members for walking or using their personal carts only (if weather permits). This includes golfing on the course grounds.

* Members who choose to use the course do so at their own peril. DCC will not be responsible or liable for any member actions on DCC property.

* John Miles will be in the Pro Shop monitoring the use of the course. Any fees for guests will be charged to their respective member’s account.

* We will have beverage service and delivery on the course starting 3/26 and each day until we resume normal operations or a new executive order is issued.

* We will NOT be able to provide carts to members since we are not allowed to call in additional employees to maintain and service the cart operations.

* Kurt’s outside crew will be allowed to maintain the course as needed.

* I’ve spoken to local law enforcement (MSP) and they said that as long as people keep proper social distancing, they are fine with people golfing and for us to serve beverages on the course.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 3/24/2020 at 9:44 AM, phillyk said:

I'm still seeking specifics for WA state.  All the courses in our direct area are closed today, per last nights stay home proclamation. So we are all assuming WA is closed down for golf.

Yesterday Golf courses were clarified for WA state and are deemed non-essential but routine maintenance can continue. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!