boogielicious

Tiger (and Manning) vs. Phil (and Brady) "Champions for Charity" Match Official!

106 posts / 6201 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

That was entertaining

Agreed, hope we will see more of this type of event.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The audio is horrible, but if you turn it up, a chipping lesson from Phil might be worth it.

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I was enjoying it this morning. I was until my DVR stopped at the 18th tee. 😡

Oh man! You missed the double eagle!  When I record any sporting event on my DVR that can go beyond its normal time I always record the dog show and the vegematic show that comes on after it, just in case.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I enjoyed this as well, but thought they had the QB's playing from a farther distance then they should be.  I think they said they were around 6800 yards, which seemed pretty long for their skills.

59 minutes ago, JGus said:

I enjoyed this as well, but thought they had the QB's playing from a farther distance then they should be.  I think they said they were around 6800 yards, which seemed pretty long for their skills.

Well for the front nine Brady could’ve been playing at 5000yds and still porked it all up.😀

Didn’t get to watch it but watched the highlights and the outtakes and it was great. Payton roasting Brady multiple times even during warmups was awesome. Being an Eagles fan made it even better 🙂

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well for the front nine Brady could’ve been playing at 5000yds and still porked it all up.😀

When Brady hit a bad shot (many) there was a language coming out of his mouth I've never used.  "Gawd-dang-it."  That pansy approach just doesn't work when I hit a bad shot.  I've got to burn some ears to get back on track...

I think the sport would benefit from more one off events like this.

I would say I did not need the 1 club challenge hole and it might be my only true dislike of the event.

2 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I would say I did not need the 1 club challenge hole and it might be my only true dislike of the event.

The 1 Club Challenge made us think how we'd handle that.  Otherwise it was lame.  What they should do is have a long distance club throwing challenge.

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say it was a snoozer for me. Part of that is probably because I am not a football fan in the slightest, and couldn't care less about 2 QBs playing golf. Between that, the rain, and the awkward shots from inside of the carts where it was literally just a camera on a guy driving a golf cart (no interaction going on), I thought it was kind of a junk event. I know they can't control the rain, and I was happy that all that money was raised, but it wasn't really an enjoyable watch for me.

35 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

and the awkward shots from inside of the carts where it was literally just a camera on a guy driving a golf cart (no interaction going on)

I think Phil did a really good job of narrating his internal monologue in the driving shots that I saw of him. If I learned anything from watching years of reality TV, it’s that people need to talk to the cameras as if they’re talking directly to the audience.

I liked when Brady's microphone radio transmitter came off.  At first I thought it was his divot.  And I liked when he was looking svelte, ripping his pants, and then looking pudgy in his rain pants.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:40 PM, Divot Master said:

I think we're seeing a couple vanity handicaps today.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:05 PM, Yukari said:

Even though it looks that way, but with all that pressure, I won't be surprised if they are not performing as well as they would otherwise.

I am waaayyy too familiar with not playing anywhere near to my handicap.

Consider how your HI is arrived at. From the courses you routinely play. And even though Peyton Manning is a member of Augusta National, I don't know how often he gets to play it. The thing about the handicap "index" is, I thought it could be adjusted upward or downward depending on the difficulty of the course you are playing that day. But I wonder. Like at the Pebble Beach pro-am they routinely announce some obscure entertainers handicap as " a 5.2 at his home course, Dead Mules CC in Loose Gravel, Iowa." 

Also, many years ago I read an article about the Medalist Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Fla. Before opening the course for play, Greg Norman invited a bunch of buds, including Jack Nicklaus, to play it and provide feedback. After the round, when asked about his assessment of the course, he said that the fairways were far too tight, the forced carries over water and swamp were far too long, and the rough way too penal for a resort course! And one thing Nicklaus said was so vivid that it kind of burned itself into my brain. He said that he was a highly skilled long iron player, but he still had problems getting a ball to hold on the hood of a car! 

Greg wound up with more work to do!