IGNORED

Carry or Push?

stitch
Note: This thread is 746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Carry or Push?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is it easier to carry your own bag or use a push/pull cart?

• Carry
    • Push/Pull Cart

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, billchao said:

I've been using a pull cart for over 10 years. I don't think it puts my shoulder in an awkward position.

It does. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Push cart.  Unless I'm headed to the range... then I carry.

This for me.

And with my hip issues and my sun sensitivity I'm almost always just headed for the range when I go to my course.

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

45 minutes ago, billchao said:

Why do you insist on being obstinate? Legitimately curious.

I think it's mostly just not wanting to admit to myself, or my dad, that he could have been right. Plus there's some fun in playing devil's advocate.

And there's a piece of me that says the last 3 times I used push carts I played horribly. Definitely not superstitious or anything 😅

Push cart by a mile. Even on a hilly course. Welp, especially on a hilly course. Interestingly, I find removing and putting on a carry bag the most draining part.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

As someone who carried their bag for many years I felt that was the way golf was meant to be played. After almost 30 years of carrying I went to a pull cart and then a push cart for most of the next 20 years. for the last 10 years I have been riding in a cart. So carrying is great, but it is also bad on your back. To me pushing is easier, but I still maintain carrying is the only way to play the game as it was meant to be played. A push cart is the best for your health. It is easier on the body and gives you more of a workout than carrying your bag. Still I loved the game so much when I was carrying my bag and I certainly miss the heck out of playing golf that way. 

Just now, shanksalot said:

As someone who carried their bag for many years I felt that was the way golf was meant to be played.

By this logic, the only way to travel is by foot or horse. No cars allowed because that's not the way we originally traveled. Tech changes with ever moving time, and I'd rather not cling to needless, and in this case harmful, tradition.

Just now, shanksalot said:

So carrying is great, but it is also bad on your back. To me pushing is easier, but I still maintain carrying is the only way to play the game as it was meant to be played. A push cart is the best for your health. It is easier on the body and gives you more of a workout than carrying your bag.

Wait, so you think using a push cart is easier, but also more of a workout? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm push cart mafia for life. Unnecessarily straining yourself seems silly. I know for many, it's a "macho" or "tradition" thing, but I find those both to be invalid reasons to support carrying a bag. If you were really hardcore, you wouldn't even use a bag, 'cause that's how it was for the first 400 years of the game (see how silly this sounds?). Just sling 'em under your arm, stuff your pockets with balls, and that's it.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

10 hours ago, stitch said:

I think it's mostly just not wanting to admit to myself, or my dad, that he could have been right. Plus there's some fun in playing devil's advocate.

And there's a piece of me that says the last 3 times I used push carts I played horribly. Definitely not superstitious or anything 😅

When you attain the age, wisdom and accumulated injuries that your Dad has, you’ll will understand that is it experience that brought him this knowledge. 😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Sorry to tell you, but you're on the wrong side of that one, @stitch. Pushing a cart — even on hilly terrain — is better for you and easier on your body than carrying your clubs.

This assumes your wheels aren't sticky, your cart isn't made of lead, etc. Just a normal push cart.

P.S. Pull carts? No. They put your shoulder in an awkward, bad position.

Yep. During a very wet and muddy winter in the UK I decided to carry. After two rounds my back was so bad I had to wear a support for a few weeks.Not doing that again 

- Simon Hornsby

7 hours ago, shanksalot said:

As someone who carried their bag for many years I felt that was the way golf was meant to be played. 

I have to say, I had the same attitude for a long time.  But I've been to Ireland and Scotland a couple of times, and do you know what most of the residents of the original home of golf do?  They use a trolley.  And more and more, they use motorized trolleys.  Many of us look to Scotland for indications of "the right way" in golf matters.  I think they've got this one right, walking without carrying your bag is the best way to play golf.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

First of all, screw hills. 

For me, its the pull cart every time.

In my golfing infancy, my friend and I mostly rode the cart. Quickly realizing how expensive that was, I walked when playing alone. It was only a couple of rounds of that before I gave the rental trolley a try and I've never gone back to carrying.

I have no opinion as to whether it is feasible that carrying is easier than pushing - might be possible but highly unlikely - but I do know that carrying is much tougher on your back.  Last time I carried was for 9 probably 7 years ago - could hardly move the next day.  And I've had PT's tell me, never "pull" your cart on a regular basis unless you want shoulder/back problems.  You should always "push."

13 hours ago, billchao said:

I've been using a pull cart for over 10 years. I don't think it puts my shoulder in an awkward position.

Unless your pull cart is right beside you with your arm hanging straight down, I don't see how your shoulder can't be in an awkward position with a pull cart.

I voted push as far as ease. My son insisted on carrying when he first started high school golf because of ego. I finally convinced him that a push cart was an advantage. Once he used the push cart 1 round, he was hooked.  Much less stress on the back. And it even has a seat to use if you're waiting on the group in front.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

When you attain the age, wisdom and accumulated injuries that your Dad has, you’ll will understand that is it experience that brought him this knowledge. 😀

When I was 15 my dad was the dumbest guy I knew ....Now that I’m 20...I can’t believe the knowledge he’s gained in just 5 years.....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 minutes ago, gbogey said:

In case you didn't see this

social

Once-disparaged device is an item everybody wants after courses ban caddies and motorized carts to fight coronavirus.

My buddy has been making a slick profit on old pull carts lately. I guess that I made a while ago about covid changing the walk/ride ratio is actually coming true a bit if push carts are OOS.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I carried some this past winter because the course was so wet that I thought the wheels would mark up the course. Otherwise, I use  push cart, or an electric walking cart. I used to carry all the time, and had a shoulder problem. Converted to a push cart following physical therapy, and no more shoulder problems. Some hills would be easier to carry than push, but overall, pushing is easier for me.

15 hours ago, sjduffers said:

There have been studies showing that the calories expanded while carrying are a bit higher than when pushing: I don't recall exactly but it was something like 1600 pushing and 1800 carrying (vs 800-1000 riding in a cart). Based on that, carrying would be harder than pushing, I would think.

Quite surprised the difference is that small. 😮 I have push cart but didn't bring it with me when I moved, so been forced to play with carry bag for ~10 rounds now. Actually had one guy play with me and he was carrying aswell, his heart rate monitor said exactly 1800 kcal lost during the round.

I've felt my energy levels get really low towards the end of round playing this way, should probably consume way more calories the day before playing and also during the round.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!