Please Use Title Case on New Topics
phedrick

Why Do You Play Golf?

68 posts / 2707 viewsLast Reply

I play because I can still be better than I was yesterday. My track and field career bests are behind me, and while I can still compete against people within my age group I will never be the same guy who was able to hold his own in flights and heats against world champs and olympians. I just can’t be that fast and jump that far anymore. I still believe the best Golf of my life is ahead of me. 

I also play because it is a game that challenges the mind and the body. It’s not physically taxing per se but the body has to be in technically sound positions to deliver the clubhead to the ball as desired repeatedly. I have to think and use my mind to accurately strategize around the course and overcome the bad times and shots. 

Lastly- I play for fun. Fun of friendly competition, fun of architecture and its impact on the game, fun of just playing with my Dad or a friend I haven’t seen in awhile. Some many reasons and ways to have fun playing this game. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I PLAY golf for a few reasons.

• Competition- I love to compete it's a big part of who I am. 
  • Challenge- It's fun to have something to work at and try to improve. I get a lot of satisfaction when I play well knowing I put in a lot of work to get here.
  • Exercise- Playing 18 holes walking at my course burns about 2000 calories.
  • Camaraderie- Many of my friends I have made on the golf course.

I golf because it is one of the few things I am physically cleared to do by my cardiology team. August 22nd, 2018 I had a stroke on duty. During the subsequent hospital stay, I was diagnosed with an incurable heart condition. A year later and following my retirement I began my journey in this sport.

I golf for several reasons now

- To get exercise

- To spend quality time with 13 year old daughter, who undoubtedly will be busting my ass on the course by next year

- To spend quality time with my mom who also just started playing this year

- To help eliminate daily stress and serve as a release for my PTS

- I enjoy the tranquility of the outdoors, the silence, the smells, the fresh air, the sheer beauty

- Seeing progress in my game, albeit slower than I would like

- The camaraderie with those I am playing with and meet new people with similar interests

- To find the answer to the question in my head, "How can a game that is so maddening be so much fun?"

Finally, I have used golf to rekindle friendships that I unfortunately let slip because of being focused too much on my profession. I have used the time together to express my sincere apology for allowing a stupid job to become more important than their friendship. Thankfully, it has been well received. Oh yeah, and I truly love the sport and have become quite addicted to it.

On 6/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

I have Parkinson's in my right hand that was brought on by Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Diet and exercise will almost completely remove my tremor.  (I also take medications) 

That is mainly why I golf.

I also just enjoy the game. 

Retired Old Man

Thank you for your service. Enjoy the golf and play well. 

I originally started playing to relax and enjoy the outdoors more. In addition to finding a sport that wasn’t so hard on my body. Little did I know bad golf isn’t so relaxing. I was hooked pretty much from the first round. I kept playing because of the few beautiful shots that everyone has.I could hit 1000 bad shots but will only ever remember the 2 good ones lol.  It’s also nice to truly be able to get everything out of my head and only focus on golf. Kind of like a for of therapy.  Then when my son was born I hoped he would pick up the game and give us something to do when I get older. Turns out he does love it and pretty much better than I am. We play every year around Fathers Day. Never on because that would be frowned upon by the boss. She likes to have us home on Sunday. About 5 years ago I started combining my birthday, which is in May and usually on or around Mother’s Day, and Fathers Day. So I don’t get short changed in May and in June I can really ham it up. Like i told my son a few weeks ago, it’s about me having fun and watching him get better now. 

On 6/30/2020 at 5:50 PM, boogielicious said:

No politics please. Last warning.

It was in reply to another political post for God's sake

It started out as a fun afternoon at chance to smash balls at range...who wouldn't enjoy that? Must have made contact 5 times out of a full bucket and blisters on the hand to show for. But that one good hit changed everything. It was instant addiction. 

15 years later, it has become what can only be best described by the faithful as blind religion.

The camaraderie in misery, the grind with distant sprinkles of pure joy, the competition, the science, the art, the travel, the release, where do I stop.........?

Few things in life offer a feeling of greater accomplishment than a flushed 8 iron. Oh, the parks don't seem to be too bad either.. 

I tried to explain recently why I play golf, and the answer came down to that it would feel stupid to just quit something I'm pretty good at. Maybe not the best answer. 

2 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

It was in reply to another political post for God's sake

I don’t care. No politics. 

53 minutes ago, jamo said:

I tried to explain recently why I play golf, and the answer came down to that it would feel stupid to just quit something I'm pretty good at. Maybe not the best answer.

I retired and I didn't feel stupid.   Face it, you're addicted just like the rest of us!☺️

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Few things in life offer a feeling of greater accomplishment than a flushed 8 iron.

Just wait until you pure a 4 iron.

2 hours ago, jamo said:

It's probably not the real answer, either, if you think about it.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I retired and I didn't feel stupid.   Face it, you're addicted just like the rest of us!☺️

There are golfers.. and then there are golfers who actively participate on a golf forum :whistle:

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Just wait until you pure a 4 iron.

I'll know I'm dead and in heaven...😇

2 hours ago, jamo said:

it would feel stupid to just quit something I'm pretty good at.

I would too and I'm not half as good..

Because bowling alleys are gross?

That's not why. I like that everything is basically completely up to me, not a teammate or another person.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because bowling alleys are gross?

They can get pretty nasty, lol. I was hoping my league would switch bowling alleys last year, but no dice.