IGNORED

Top Five Courses in Your Area

Hoganman1
Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could pick another 5 instead of the first 5 in my list and it would still be quite a collection of courses. Probably drop the top 10 and the next 5 would still be pretty amazing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Top 5 courses in my area that I have played:

All private.

Musgrove Mill
Thornblade CC
Cliffs at Glassy Mountain
Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards
Greenville CC (Chanticleer)

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

On 7/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

It'll be interesting to see if Phillyk agrees with me.  In no particular order:

1. Loomis Trail (NCAA Championships played there several years ago)

2. Eaglemont (But now unfortunately closed)

3. Shuksan 

4. North Bellingham

5. Avalon (South turning to North - 27 hole course)

What is the definition of "area"?  I'm using 30 miles.  If it's 100 miles I'm including Chambers Bay.

Is Desert Canyon still open?  What about Wine Valley, Suncadia, Gold Mountain or Washington National?

Just now, Sandy Lie said:

Is Desert Canyon still open?  What about Wine Valley, Suncadia, Gold Mountain or Washington National?

All great courses, but practically in a different state from my little corner up here in NW Washington.

12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

All great courses, but practically in a different state from my little corner up here in NW Washington.

I used to live in Mukilteo (1990-2012).  I miss the NW now and then, especially during Hurricane Season.  Trophy Lake was nice, Battle Creek.  Don’t hit the rock on that par 3!  I played the Golf Channel Tour up there, won at Chambers Bay twice.  I laughed when they announced the US Open was coming there. The Pro’s will hate it!  Except the winner of course!

1) Hazeltine - ok i only walked it but still i have to put it on this list.  Simply amazing course

2) Southview CC - current home course and it is really nice

3) Bearpath - invited on years ago 

4) The Meadows at Mystic Lake - i really like this course, fun and in great shape

5) Willingers Golf Club - this also has been awhile since i played it

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

3 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Wine Valley

My favorite up there. When I lived in Richland, WA I drove there many times. Absolutely love that course and the environment. Glass of fantastic wine after nine? Such a great place. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, DaveP043 said:

In the Washington DC area, most of the "best" are private, so I haven't played many of the Maryland courses.  I've been on most of the northern Virginia courses, and although there are a number of good courses, none seem particularly special to me.  Of the ones I have played, I'd say the best will include:

Congressional CC - host of US Opens, US Senior Opens, and numerous PGA Tour visits.

River Bend CC - Of the northern VA privates, I think this has the best course, following a full renovation about 10 years ago.

That's enough, really.  Woodmont CC in Bethesda MD has hosted US Open qualifying many times, and was set to host the Women's US Amateur, but I've not played it.  Trump's championship course in Sterling VA  is a solid course that I have played, but it doesn't seem special to me.  Robert Trent Jones GC course in Gainesville has hosted major events, including a number of President's Cups, but its another one that I haven't played..

I’ll piggy back off you and add some from the MD side since i don’t get out to VA enough. I agree 100% about all the best being private. There are a few public courses that are a notch above but most are all about the same. 

Whiskey Creek. In the mountains and has great views. Not outrageously hard but a stiff challenge. 

Bulle Rock. This is another beautiful course way up in the horse county part of the state. Views are top notch and the course is extremely hard.

Both of those are $80+ courses so you would expect them to be good. 

Renditions. Now I put this one on my list simply because of the theme.  It’s a collection of great holes. Namely 11,12, and 13 from Augusta and 17 from Sawgrass. When it’s in good shape it’s kind of fun to play faux famous holes. 

On 7/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, CarlSpackler said:

I will stick with Pipestone. If we are talking bang for the buck, Homestead would rate up there.

Venturing a little further south, I would suggest Shaker Run or Majestic Springs. I haven't been to either since my return from Florida, but I hear that they are both still very nice. I would have put Windy Knoll up there at one point, but not any longer based on what I am hearing. In it's prime, I would have added Moss Creek. Very sad story there. Going further north, I would add Arrowhead in Minster and Turtle Creek in Greenville. I'm not really sure where to draw the line.

I haven’t lived in the Dayton area for around 10 years now, what’s happened to Windy Knoll? I think I last played it 2 summers ago when I went back and visited and it was in good shape then. It used to be my favorite course in the area. I was not crazy about them flipping the two nines 1 became a very tight first tee shot with the road down the right side.

I used to play Arrowhead quite often as well heard it was slipping a little too, I know they changed pros a couple years ago.

Turtle Creek is what used to be Greenville CC correct? Had some very rough rounds there in HS. 

There are only 2 courses within 20 miles. I walk to Cavendish, take the taco to Manele Bay Golf, and take the ferry to Kapalua Plantation and Bay courses. #5 would be at Wailea an hour drive from Kapalua. Love playing each of them.

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, Hoganman1 said:

I live in Charlotte and here's my list of what I think are the best courses here.

#1 Quail Hollow Country Club

#2 Charlotte Country Club

#3 Carolina Golf and Country Club

#4 Carmel Country Club (South Course)

#5 Myers Park Country Club (My Home Course)

What do you think are the best five in your community?

Have you played Verdict Ridge?? I had a weeks golfing in Charlotte many years ago and that’s the only course I remember. 

Stevie T

8 hours ago, PalmettoBuckeye said:

I haven’t lived in the Dayton area for around 10 years now, what’s happened to Windy Knoll? I think I last played it 2 summers ago when I went back and visited and it was in good shape then. It used to be my favorite course in the area. I was not crazy about them flipping the two nines 1 became a very tight first tee shot with the road down the right side.

I used to play Arrowhead quite often as well heard it was slipping a little too, I know they changed pros a couple years ago.

Turtle Creek is what used to be Greenville CC correct? Had some very rough rounds there in HS. 

Admittedly, it’s been a while since I have played Windy K. It’s not a bad course, but it did have significant thistle and crabgrass in the fairways and tee boxes. I think 1 also has ponds on the left side too. Slaps you in the face right off the bat. 

Every course is slipping a little except the higher priced ones. Arrowheads greens were very nice though and the fairways were in great shape given the mild drought here. 
Turtle creek is the old Greenville CC. 
Mainly these courses aren’t in the running because they’re too far from Dayton. For Springfield, I always like Locust Hills and Reid Park. Locust has a soft serve ice cream machine. You can’t beat an ice cream cone after a round on a hot day. It takes away the double bogey blues like nothing else. 

- Shane

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Admittedly, it’s been a while since I have played Windy K. It’s not a bad course, but it did have significant thistle and crabgrass in the fairways and tee boxes. I think 1 also has ponds on the left side too. Slaps you in the face right off the bat. 

Every course is slipping a little except the higher priced ones. Arrowheads greens were very nice though and the fairways were in great shape given the mild drought here. 
Turtle creek is the old Greenville CC. 
Mainly these courses aren’t in the running because they’re too far from Dayton. For Springfield, I always like Locust Hills and Reid Park. Locust has a soft serve ice cream machine. You can’t beat an ice cream cone after a round on a hot day. It takes away the double bogey blues like nothing else. 

Reid Park is a nice challenge I think their South Course is where we used to play our DII sectionals and it can get very tight through a stretch of the back nine. Learned a lot about false fronts there with 2-3 of their holes. I’m originally from Miami County so my list might be more Northern but from what I remember I’d rank my top 5 as:

1) Piqua CC

2) Heatherwood

3) Troy CC

4) Yankee Trace

5) Windy Knoll

Gonna take this down a notch for the mid/high handicappers without a connect. Since moving to Fairfield CT 4 months ago, here are my top 5 western CT public courses:

1) Sterling Farms

2) H Smith Richardson

3) Tashua Knolls

4) Tradition Club at Oak Lane

5) Whitney Farms

none of these courses have any relevance in the history of golf and everyone can get on one of these courses at a reasonable rate but I stand by my ranking.

Honorable Mention: Winged Foot about 40 minutes away.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

My top-five local courses (that I've played) - not in order:

1. Quicksilver Golf Club
  2. Birdsfoot
  3. St. Clair Country Club
  4. Lindenwood Golf Club (Blue/Red)
  5. Cranberry Highlands

All public except #3.

- John

On 7/28/2020 at 10:22 PM, bwdial said:

Have you ever played the Donald Ross course in Palatka?  I know that's a little beyond the 20 mile radius, but I saw it on a list of his courses and thought it was interesting.

Anyway, the five BEST near me - Sugar Hill... about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta - are:

• TPC at Sugarloaf - Duluth, GA (I've never played, but I've attended two tournaments there)
  • The River Club - Suwanee, GA (Never played it, but I know someone who has)
  • Atlanta Athletic Club - Johns Creek, GA (site of 2001 PGA Championship)
  • Bear's Best - Suwanee, GA (played once... collection of Jack's favorite holes he designed)
  • Chateau Elan - Braselton, GA (never played, but I hear it's nice)

I work in Palatka twice a month and never even knew there was a course there lol. It looks pretty nice, I’ll have to check it out.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

On 8/1/2020 at 10:18 PM, PalmettoBuckeye said:

I played Windy Knoll back in April as my first round after Kittyhawk closed.

No. 1 is a pretty tough hole when you haven't swung a club in a bit. The range was closed so I was swinging cold literally and figuratively. Blocked my first effort into the trees on the right and failed to get out of them on the second. Think I ended up with an 8.

Aside from my golfer failures, the course was decent. Like most places, they were using the pool noodles in the holes at that point. Turf, greens and sand were all in good repair for April.

Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!