IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

iacas

F&#%  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

As with just about anything, a white dude derogatorily calling a black person the "n" word is different on several levels than a golfer saying to his caddie "It was f***ing straight!" (or whatever).

Let's not casually equate or compare or even liken situations like that to each other. Of course certain people can't say certain words, but even then, it's not about the word itself, it's about the context and content of that word.

JT didn't say "f*** you" to a playing partner.

P.S. Even saying "f*** you" to someone can be funny, incredibly mean, or ten other things. Context.

My point was that the argument that "words are words" is no longer valid in today's environment. Many people are too weak for the "sticks and stones" philosophy. Words have now become weaponized for political purposes, but this is now not on topic.

Pro tip: don't use the word "ladies" to address a group of women under 70 years of age.

We can't say a lot of things we used to say 10 years ago. They could not make many of The Office episodes in today's environment. You used the example of someone perpetrating some sort of assault with hate speech. What about some of the light joking people might have done in an office environment 10 years ago that could now be the cause of someone losing their job? Locker room talk; things we might have said in JR High; things we might say when have a few drinks and are with our buds. Not just race, but religion, gender, nationality, intelligence... anything that might make us different or unique cannot be noticed or commented on by people like you and me. Comedians are voicing concerns about this type of thing. You referred to one word, but there are many others now and I am sure there will be more to come.

Eventually every letter of the alphabet may have a verboten word associated with it.

Edited by Carl3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you parent your kids, or ask the television to do it for you?

That's rhetorical.

I am a fan of it.

I'm confused. Are you saying you are a fan of profanity?

Or are you just saying you're a fan of television airing an unedited broadcast?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you parent your kids, or ask the television to do it for you?

That's rhetorical.

I’m not sure how your comment is relevant to my position on this issue. The question posed was whether we had a problem with certain behaviors on television. While I can see a very distant logical chain (something like TV parents want censorship so they can “click and parent”) to your point, I am seeing separate issues. I expressed that I did not like it and explained why. People can certainly be good parents and not want such behavior on “regular” TV. There’s some sweeping logical acrobatics to make the implication you’re offering. Moreover, if I were to “parent by TV,” I’d likely pick something other than watching guys try to hit a ball in a hole in the ground. 😀  

While off topic (but in direct response to your off topic rhetorical), we limit television/device use in our house and try to be “present” with our kids as much as we can. After all, life is too short, and they grow up too fast. 

FYI: no offense taken here. We’ve been internet acquaintances for some time. So, I am assuming no ill intent on your part. I know you’re just trying to rebut my position and you’re likely busy so you just came up with the first thing you thought of in response  😀

Let’s get back on topic. 

Not sure this is on topic. I have no problem with untargetted general mood swearing.

Passive aggressive horseshit is 10x worse. 

We don't swear in front of kids (yet) but have not shielded them from TV profanity. Don't see the point. They are very socially aware at 13 and 11 and understand context.

My mom is one of the kindest people I know. But if didn't swear as much as she did (she's cooled off quite a bit), stress would have killed her 30 years ago. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm confused. Are you saying you are a fan of profanity?

Yep.

I'm a fan of seeing how people are, seeing people who feel competitive, seeing emotion.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Or are you just saying you're a fan of television airing an unedited broadcast?

That too.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

I’m not sure how your comment is relevant to my position on this issue.

I'm not going to draw it out for you. I think it was pretty clear.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

There’s some sweeping logical acrobatics to make the implication you’re offering.

No, there aren't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think the F word as an adjective is so overplayed that it has lost its meaning. Pair that with the incorrect noun and you may have a different situation on your hands. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

5 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

I think the F word as an adjective is so overplayed that it has lost its meaning. Pair that with the incorrect noun and you may have a different situation on your hands. 

That's why, after a bad shot (sometimes) the following noun is "me".  I never blame the course or any of the people I'm playing with.  Though I may blame the threesome 2 holes ahead playing at a snail's pace.

I know 100% as I’ve witnessed it...a golfer curses and my kid hears it...it’s followed by a laugh. My kids seldom watch golf with me. I’m thankful for the laugh we both got that showed them that elite athletes are normal people to. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, Carl3 said:

My point was that the argument that "words are words" is no longer valid in today's environment. Many people are too weak for the "sticks and stones" philosophy. Words have now become weaponized for political purposes, but this is now not on topic.

Pro tip: don't use the word "ladies" to address a group of women under 70 years of age.

We can't say a lot of things we used to say 10 years ago. They could not make many of The Office episodes in today's environment. You used the example of someone perpetrating some sort of assault with hate speech. What about some of the light joking people might have done in an office environment 10 years ago that could now be the cause of someone losing their job? Locker room talk; things we might have said in JR High; things we might say when have a few drinks and are with our buds. Not just race, but religion, gender, nationality, intelligence... anything that might make us different or unique cannot be noticed or commented on by people like you and me. Comedians are voicing concerns about this type of thing. You referred to one word, but there are many others now and I am sure there will be more to come.

Eventually every letter of the alphabet may have a verboten word associated with it.

Your bitterness about nto being able to casually denigrate/insult/oppress people in your everyday speech is entirely beside the point. The word f*** isn't about a person or people or group or anything. It's just an exclamation that can be used as pretty much any part of speech.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

4 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Crap, I do that all the time. What am I supposed to call them? I assume broads, chicks, dames, or skirts isn't any good. 

Back on topic. I swear a lot. Oddly, not on the golf course. 

I also try not to swear in front of my (or anyone else's) kids. But I'm not perfect there by any stretch and have dropped an F-bomb or said shit once or twice in front of some kids in my day. However, I don't think I'm being hypocritical by saying I'd like to see them use a 10 second delay and drop out the F-bombs.

Again, I'm not offended by it. I do think that other people will be or are offended and I think golf (or the PGA or the network or whatever) can respect that and drop out the F-bombs. I don't think the F-bombs actually add anything to the broadcast. Drop 'em out and lets all get along. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
  • Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I was on the range with my 10 year old, hit several bad shots in a row.  Wylie got to hear his first F bomb.  I told him it was one of dad's special words, reserved only for bad golf shots.  We laughed it off.

Now he's 22 and works in construction.  Every third word out of his mouth is an F bomb.

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I was on the range with my 10 year old, hit several bad shots in a row.  Wylie got to hear his first F bomb.  I told him it was one of dad's special words, reserved only for bad golf shots.  We laughed it off.

Now he's 22 and works in construction.  Every third word out of his mouth is an F bomb.

He loves his dad and his special word! 🤣

Again, as the adjective it takes on an almost nonsensical meaning. But combine it with a few special super duper cuss words and now its game on. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

When I was growing up we were taught not to use swear words, and, in front of our parents, in mixed company,in public, we did not. Things have changed a lot since then, and what was once unacceptable, is now fairly common. I still try to hold to my old standards, but I don't worry if someone else has different standards. I don't really have a problem with JT, but if he found a different way to express himself, I'd be ok with that. There are a lot bigger things to worry about than this.

C'mon folks. Golf is a four letter word with 'f' in it. Coincidence? I think not.

18 hours ago, Carl3 said:

You killing me now my brother.. I'm just gonna have start shoving my mask in my mouth when I play in my co-ed league.

• Funny 1

Vishal S.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Zippo said:

Thumbs down to Justin Thomas for this incident and thumbs up for what sounds like a sincere apology from him:

PGA Tour: Justin Thomas uses homophobic slur after missing putt (nypost.com)

Was his apology sincere, though? Or was it just to protect his sponsorships, his image, etc.?

Who even uses that word anymore? I get that he said it to himself, but again… who even uses that word? It’s got to be pretty deeply embedded.

I’m not offended by it. I heard it live. But I can see how others are, and how that’s just a really stupid thing that’s, contrary to his statement, part of who he is.

Doesn’t mean that’s who he will be a year from now, but it’s who he is right now.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Was his apology sincere, though? Or was it just to protect his sponsorships, his image, etc.?

Who even uses that word anymore? I get that he said it to himself, but again… who even uses that word? It’s got to be pretty deeply embedded.

I’m not offended by it. I heard it live. But I can see how others are, and how that’s just a really stupid thing that’s, contrary to his statement, part of who he is.

Doesn’t mean that’s who he will be a year from now, but it’s who he is right now.

To me, as I watched and listened to it, his apology sounded sincere. He's the only who knows whether or not that's true. Personally, I'm OK with allowing him a mistake - I know I've certainly made my share. Time will tell if it happens again.

Kudos to Harris English for his win today.