IGNORED

Jon Rahm Forced to WD From Memorial Tournament After a Positive COVID-19 Test

ShawnSum
Note: This thread is 1043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

But yeah, no sympathy for Rahm here. His choices, his mistake.

Yeah…totally agree with that.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, jxdama said:

Seems golf, like  most  others, has  learned  nothing. Before a vaccine many golfers tested  positive including rather fat out  of  shape senior  players. None  died and  most  had  no symptoms. I remember  in rather funereal tone someone  on tv was saying how  horrible  Tony Finau had  corona. They said  he felt  bad  for 2 weeks, was  nauseaous, weak, and  coughing. It  hit  me then. They are  perfectly describing the  common cold. There  is  zero reason Rahm couldnt  play today. He  could  play alone, He  could  play with someone vaccinated, he  could  play with me and  i would be totally  unafraid. He  is fine today, he was  fine yesterday and  he will be fine tomorrow. There was a time before  corona  when you  didnt  have a disease unless you exhibited symptoms. IMO he  is  perfectly  healthy. Maybe  its  just  me  but if  i were  in 2nd  place i would withdraw  in protest and  support Rahm. One  last  point. I heard Nantz say they were headed to another exciting  finish. Sure they are, they kicked  out the guy with a  6 shot  lead. Alot  of  people feel like  i do but they are too cowed to say anything. IMO the "winner" today finished  in 2nd.

The rule is simple, if you're Covid-19 positive you can't continue to play. A few players have WD because of Covid-19 before Rahm but they didn't make the news because they were not in contention. So why are you expecting the PGA makes an exception simply because Rahm was leading? The PGA is not a not a medical organization and simply follows CDC guidelines. Why do you expect the PGA to make medical decisions. What if Rahm keeps playing and 1 person he infected die? I don't know why you are dismissing Covid-19 when 600,000 Americans have died and many thousands still dying daily in the world. I know, many of them were very sick but many healthy people died too. 

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

What if someone who just made the cut tested positive? Would there be a similar uproar to let him play? The only difference is their placement on the leaderboard. They are subject to the same rules and nobody would argue that John Golfer at T75 had to WD because of Covid-19. It’s because Rahm was in a very good spot for the tournament, but the rules doesn’t care about your score and it applies to everyone.

Sucks for Rahm, but maybe a lesson learned for him and others. By playing on the PGA Tour they accept the rules the Tour has set.

• Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I don't think Rahm has any issue with the rules the Tour has set. He did appear to accept it all with good grace, despite the idiotically hypocritical comment he tweeted about "doing everything he can to be healthy" (Except getting vaccinated some time in the last 6 months).

But you are definitely going to see a lot of players rushing to get vaccinated. All I can say is that it says a lot about the  - how shall I put it? - "demographic" of professional players on the PGATour when you learn that as of yesterday only about 50% are vaccinated. It beggars belief, actually. Who do these people listen to? 😳

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

12 hours ago, jxdama said:

Seems golf, like  most  others, has  learned  nothing. Before a vaccine many golfers tested  positive including rather fat out  of  shape senior  players. None  died and  most  had  no symptoms. I remember  in rather funereal tone someone  on tv was saying how  horrible  Tony Finau had  corona. They said  he felt  bad  for 2 weeks, was  nauseaous, weak, and  coughing. It  hit  me then. They are  perfectly describing the  common cold. There  is  zero reason Rahm couldnt  play today. He  could  play alone, He  could  play with someone vaccinated, he  could  play with me and  i would be totally  unafraid. He  is fine today, he was  fine yesterday and  he will be fine tomorrow. There was a time before  corona  when you  didnt  have a disease unless you exhibited symptoms. IMO he  is  perfectly  healthy. Maybe  its  just  me  but if  i were  in 2nd  place i would withdraw  in protest and  support Rahm. One  last  point. I heard Nantz say they were headed to another exciting  finish. Sure they are, they kicked  out the guy with a  6 shot  lead. Alot  of  people feel like  i do but they are too cowed to say anything. IMO the "winner" today finished  in 2nd.

I’ve had two friends die from COVID in the last month. So I find your opinion disturbing. Rahm had his chance to get vaccinated and chose to delay. I have no sympathy for his WD.

I’ve know quite a few people who’ve died from cancer and many who’ve survived including my Mom. I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone. If it was contagious like this disease and we had a vaccine I think people would think differently about getting vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Shorty said:

All I can say is that it says a lot about the  - how shall I put it? - "demographic" of professional players on the PGATour

And you need to stop saying this too.

It’s stupid, uninformed, and political.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

But you are definitely going to see a lot of players rushing to get vaccinated. All I can say is that it says a lot about the  - how shall I put it? - "demographic" of professional players on the PGATour when you learn that as of yesterday only about 50% are vaccinated. It beggars belief, actually. Who do these people listen to? 😳

I have to confess. I have no idea the point you are making here. You don't need to explain it. I just want you to know I'm confused by it. 
I think about 50% of the US population is fully vaccinated. So, the PGA tour is about on par. (See what I did there? ... "on par"?)

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I’ve had two friends die from COVID in the last month. So I find your opinion disturbing. Rahm had his chance to get vaccinated and chose to delay. I have no sympathy for his WD.

I’ve know quite a few people who’ve died from cancer and many who’ve survived including my Mom. I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone. If it was contagious like this disease and we had a vaccine I think people would think differently about getting vaccinated.

This. 

If I could like your comment twice, I would.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 hours ago, khalespace said:

The rule is simple, if you're Covid-19 positive you can't continue to play. A few players have WD because of Covid-19 before Rahm but they didn't make the news because they were not in contention. So why are you expecting the PGA makes an exception simply because Rahm was leading? The PGA is not a not a medical organization and simply follows CDC guidelines. Why do you expect the PGA to make medical decisions. What if Rahm keeps playing and 1 person he infected die? I don't know why you are dismissing Covid-19 when 600,000 Americans have died and many thousands still dying daily in the world. I know, many of them were very sick but many healthy people died too. 

How  is  he  going to infect someone  if  he  plays  by  himself? And lets  be  honest  here. 600k isnt a  legitimate  number. Died with and  of are  2 totally  different things. And again, we  have actual track history to go by. No pro golfer  has died from corona not even the  oldest and fattest.

• Booooooooo 2
  • Upvote 1

Same dumb schtick since joining.

• Administrator
Just now, jxdama said:

How  is  he  going to infect someone  if  he  plays  by  himself? And lets  be  honest  here. 600k isnt a  legitimate  number. Died with and  of are  2 totally  different things. And again, we  have actual track history to go by. No pro golfer  has died from corona not even the  oldest and fattest.

I'll ignore (for your sake) your bullshit conspiracy theories, as they're not on topic (among other things).

Mark didn't die, but he didn't have a good time with it:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0606%2Fpga_g_cal

Mark Calcavecchia detailed his "miserable" experience with COVID-19 on Thursday after venturing out for his first round since testing positive three weeks ago.

And plenty of young athletes have had a hell of a time with it. The NHL team had players in terrible shape from COVID, etc.

Your idea about "playing alone" is as stupid today as it was Saturday when people suggested it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, jxdama said:

How  is  he  going to infect someone  if  he  plays  by  himself? 

As far as I'm concerned, the Rules apply.  The PGA Tour Covid Policy applies to each and every player, including Mr. Rahm.  A player who tests positive after the first round is required to withdraw.  A player who barely makes the cut and then tests positive must withdraw.  And the leader of the tournament must withdraw if he tests positive.  You can't bend the rules for one guy and not for all the others.  And as others have said, Mr. Rahm had the opportunity to be vaccinated and avoid the issue entirely, he made his decision.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, jxdama said:

No pro golfer  has died from corona

That’s your measuring stick? They didn’t die, so it’s ok? 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Am I understanding this right?

Because he wasn’t vaccinated, he was required to undergo the daily testing protocol.  Those that are vaccinated do not?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

18 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Because he wasn’t vaccinated, he was required to undergo the daily testing protocol.  Those that are vaccinated do not?

That’s correct.

1618856793067.jpeg

The PGA Tour informed players Monday that it is changing its testing policy, as well as updating its health...

With all people age 18 and over now eligible for vaccination, the tour announced a new framework in a memo for policing against the virus. The biggest change involves no more routine testing for those who have been fully vaccinated, stated as 14 days since the last vaccine shot was administered.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Because he's not been vaccinated, he has to test each week, and he's required to go through the contact tracing protocol.  The contact tracing turned up his close contact to the infected person, which led to the daily testing.  He was allowed to make his personal choice, understanding that his personal choice came with consequences.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

22 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Well…Rham was under contact tracing protocols which means daily testing and restrictions to indoor areas. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

23 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Doesn’t matter. A player with a six stroke lead physically capable to play isn’t playing in the final round. I don’t see him breaking a rule. An unfortunate occurrence happened where he can’t play. Six strokes is six strokes.

Your argument is predicated on the assumption that those in the lead always win.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

That’s correct.

1618856793067.jpeg

The PGA Tour informed players Monday that it is changing its testing policy, as well as updating its health...

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Because he's not been vaccinated, he has to test each week, and he's required to go through the contact tracing protocol.  The contact tracing turned up his close contact to the infected person, which led to the daily testing.  He was allowed to make his personal choice, understanding that his personal choice came with consequences.

Thanks.

We know that someone vaccinated can still contract and pass along the virus.  I wonder why they would only choose to apply that protocol to one group, but not another.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

12 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Your argument is predicated on the assumption that those in the lead always win.

You’re 100% incorrect. It’s not an assumption that Cantlay went from having to chase down a player with a six shot lead to being in the lead. That’s 100% fact. 

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Thanks.

We know that someone vaccinated can still contract and pass along the virus.  I wonder why they would only choose to apply that protocol to one group, but not another.  

The probability that a vaccinated person will catch and pass the disease to another is almost zero.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!