IGNORED

Ready for Senior Tees?

rking35209
Note: This thread is 992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been trying to decide if i should play up on the forward teas.  I'm 60 years old and definitely have noticed a loss  in distance in the last 5 years.  My drives 5 years ago were probably an average of 260+ and now I average 230.  I have a handicap of 10.   I think for my age i still have decent distance; however, my handicap has gone up and my distance has gone down.  Opinions please. 

• iacas changed the title to Ready for Senior Tees?

I usually play from the senior tees.   I'm an athletic 64 but found that I'd rather play a shot into the green with a 6 iron or less than a 4W.   It's still golf, easier for me but also more enjoyable.   

A course I play frequently has a difference of almost 700 yards between the white and green tees.   I'll choose fun over my ego 100% of the time.     

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think there are a few factors to consider:

Where do you have fun?  Like @dennyjones, you may find that you enjoy playing better from shorter tees.  This, to me, is the absolutely most important factor in making the decision.

Pace of Play?  If you find that you're slowing down play when you play the longer tees, you should at least consider moving forward.  However, playing shorter tees doesn't always lead to playing faster.  If you're still holding up groups behind you, you may need to look at your own habits on the course, rather than which tees you play.

Competitions?  My club has a specific criteria for playing shorter tees in competitions (age + HI of 80), you may choose to play the same tees for casual play as you'd play for competitions.

I'm sure I've left out a few things to think about, but to me it all comes down to enjoying yourself.  Give the forward tees a try, and see how you like it.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Nope- still not ready for the "Gold" Tees... Recently turned the clock at 60. Not going for the tips, and haven't done so since my 20's. Still have enough in the bag for the Standard "Mens" (or whatever they're called these days) tees, maybe one back depending on the yardages involved. Most Muni's aren't designed with 5 or 6 sets of tees. You might get 3 sets, and the differences between are negligible- especially the standard and back tees- maybe 5/10 yards.

I played 6400 yd. courses through my early 60's
At about age 67, the bottom fell out of my distance and then preferred 6000 yds.

I've moved back on occasions when the course is running and will sometimes still play a decent round.
However, other times I'll struggle. Not so much due to distance, but sore knees and other ailing body parts.
Which also leads to poor scoring rounds at forward tees on those days.
Early mornings are more difficult, my friend (Riga Morris) seems to tag along...

While my index has reached double digits for the first time in 25 years, I'm still enjoying the game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I recently turned 70 and still play from the tees just back from the forward tees. The enjoyment in the game, among other things for me, is not the score so much as it is how well I strike the ball in any given round. Moving forward on the tees is not going to improve my ball striking.

If you are struggling to get GIR without hitting long clubs for your second or third shot, you really should consider moving up a tee.  A par 5 green for example is designed to receive a shot from a lofted club.  If your third shot is coming of a long iron or fairway wood for example, you will struggle to enjoy the game.  My dad now plays the shortest men's tees.  So much better for him

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Why limit yourself to a single set of tees? I find it fun to try different tees for a new look at a familiar course, to work on longer or shorter irons, and many other reasons. I agree with those pointing out fun/enjoyment is key. I even like to mix tees on a round sometimes.

• Like 1

Only if the senior tees are 6,400 yards.

I’m older than you and probably hit a bit shorter than you.  Though it will vary a bit, as a rule I tend to run out of steam around 6,500 yards on most courses.

Play by yardage, not by color/designation..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I’m older than you and probably hit a bit shorter than you.  Though it will vary a bit, as a rule I tend to run out of steam around 6,500 yards on most courses.

Total yardage is not necessarily the most significant factor. Are they 2 (or more) really short par 3s (say 100-130) in that total of 6500? That means the average hole is going to be longer to make up for the close to 100 yards "lost" on the short par 3s. Is the course less than par 72? A par 70 with only 2 par 5s is probably playing 300 yards longer than the stated total distance (compared to the same distance course as a par 72). Are there forced lay-ups (in front of ponds, creeks, barrancas, etc...)?  That makes up for longer shots following the lay-ups? I am sure they are more ways to make a course feel longer, weather, altitude (or lack thereof), and steepness of terrain notwithstanding.

I say play whatever feels good, and maybe adjust for your next round, if it was too long, to too short. Variety is the spice of life as they say...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Just a quick question. Does your course have “hybrid tees”?  We have them here on a few of our courses. Blue/White, Green/White tees that are still challenging. Does the course you play at offer that?   

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

Agree, and I would add to look at the par 4 holes and see how many are really long for your driver distance.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Turned 70 this year and still play from the back tees. Swing feels the same, but far from the distances I had when younger. Using 1 or 2 clubs more on my approach shots, and learned to be satisfied just getting close to the green. Old guys have to rely on their short games to score! Played the back tees for so long I find it difficult to move up.

• Like 1

my opinion, per your request...is you should play the tees you enjoy.

I have been long enough to play longer tees for years ago and never moved back and seldom played the box or two behind the tees I started on because I never was overly talented at scoring overall and it kept the courses reasonable for the regulars I play with. When matched with randoms I play whatever they are playing. When matched with the skilled players I work with, I often have to play from the tees furthest back 

When picking my own tees, I am not bothered by playing tees many people would say are too short for me...I have more  fun there personally. 

I have played longer tees a few times, sometimes I enjoy it sometimes I don't. That is why when picking tees, I pick the ones I enjoy. 

Clearly you have historically played the longer tees. If it is still enjoyable, you should still play them. If you are no longer enjoying them you should play a box forward.  To me, golf is first and foremost a recreational pursuit, and I will choose to play it the way that brings me the most enjoyment as often as possible. 

Turning 62 in a couple of months. I limit myself to 6500 yards around here in the SE MI flatlands. I can play 7000 on the resorts up north with numerous elevated tees. Given the ease with which my irons (T300's) and fairway woods (M6's) elevate the ball, uphill shots aren't the bother, and don't need nearly as much extra club as I did in decades past. And with the very steep angle of descent, they hold the elevated greens better.

According to "the chart" that says 5i @ 160 yds. I should play 5760 yd. tees. I tried a set of traditional MB irons and hit the 5i in that set 160 yds. Pretty much any approach shot over that is a hero shot such as a 5H approach shot from 173 yds. Stronger hitters will hit a 7i from that distance. My next club out is a 7W. My home course has tees at 5600 yds. The next set out is 6300 yds. My golf app doesn't allow for the split tees. I have to choose 5600 or 6300. So I figure 5760 - 5600 = 160 spread out over 18 holes is 9 yds./hole or just under a club per hole if I hit every tee shot well. I'm not breaking 90 because I don't  practice enough or play enough golf. I might be playing less golf considering my property taxes just went up $100/mo. Or I could play 9 holes and ditch the practice.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

69 in a few months. Made the decision to move up to senior tees this year - but continue to play some holes from the middle tees. I got  tired of Driver, 7 wood and chip on par 4's. Now I find this game continues to be challenging - just from different perspective. Fairway bunkers are back in play and short irons into the greens are placing new challenges on my game. I'm so glad I made the decision. Handicap hasn't really dropped (12) due to course rating but scores have dropped and fun increased exponentially !

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I am 68 and have never had great length, always relying primarily on my short game. My further loss of distance over the last 4-5 years has really stressed my game from our regular tees and my course handicap has gone from 12 to 16 over that time. I really should play most of my golf from the forward tees (our membership is reluctant to call them senior tees) but that leaves me out of touch with the regular tees where most of our competitions are played from and it messes with my handicap. I am going to continue playing most of my golf from our regular tees as long as I continue to play in competitions but I suggest that, if you are playing for just the pleasure and enjoyment of the game, the forward tees are probably where its at.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!