IGNORED

How did you get started in golf and how old were you?

oreodawg1
Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 or 9. I would grab one of my dads clubs and a few balls and head to the local park and hit them from one end to the other. There was no hole, but I just wanted to hit it as far as I could. Occasionally, I would tag along with my dad and grandpa to the course and hit balls up the fairway and drown a few along the way. 

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually hit a few golf balls, around 8 or 9. I was at my brothers house, and he had a set of clubs. I hit balls in the desert. He was not happy after he saw what I done to them.

Although I was not interested in golf,  I again started hitting a few balls in my mid teens since I working at a golf course afterscool, and weekends.  Football, basketball, track, and baseball were my pastimes.

Kind of became really interested in the game in my very early 20s while in college.  Went full, tilt, boogey with it in my mid 20s. Shot my first par round before I was 30. 

44+ years later, I am still looking forward to my next round, which is next Monday. :-)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5 years ago at 58. I probably played 10 times in the previous 40 years. Didn't like golf. Couldn't break 160. Then a guy took me to the range as he wanted my business, and showed me how to hit. I was hooked. Shot a 78 last year. Went to lunch with him yesterday and we laughed about that first day at the range. Planning our first round in April when he gets back from a month in Florida.

My father tried his best to get me interested as a youngster by taking me to the range and at high school age I may have played 15-20 rounds in total.  He even purchased a series of lessons when I graduated college saying I would need it for business.  I really was not that interested and instead played a lot of baseball in my early years and became addicted to fly fishing for trout and upland bird hunting for most of my 20's and 30's.  At age 40 one of my cousins talked me into playing a round which I did with a set of hand me down persimmons and blades.  I enjoyed it so much I really took the game seriously at that age.  Unfortunately not having a good swing ingrained and being limited in the amount of rounds by other commitments I still struggle as a 17 HCP 25 years later, but I have a great time every time I play.

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1961, hitting whiffle balls off mats in the Appleton, Wisconsin, YMCA gym at age 9.

I played a lot of kids, pick up basketball in that gym from about '65 on....

:-) 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My family moved 3 blocks from a golf course when I was 8. It wasn't long before I was walking to the course at every opportunity to play.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

I dont remember this but saw a picture of my brothers and I at my grandma's house hitting whiffle balls, think I was 8 yrs oldish. I don't remember ever touching a golf club again until I was 17 yrs old and played a few times during that year. I got a job at a golf course when I was 19 and started playing every day for several years. Got a job in the office world =( rarely played and then decided I missed it so much and dove back in a few years ago.

14 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I was about the same age as you...I think my first round ever was in my late 20's, but I didn't start playing regularly until I was 30 or so.

I really wish I started earlier, but I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Ditto...I am now 74

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I was about 13-14 years old. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Good memories, in my elementary years our family played the Arnold Palmer putting course quite a bit, and after finding dads clubs in the garage we commenced to setting flags around our yard and whacking the ball around. When my brother turned 16 and got his drivers license we were off mostly to this 9 hole goat path that only charged $3 for 9 holes. I was 13 and we gradually worked our way up to nicer courses and had a lot of good fun for years to come. For the last 30 years when our paths have crossed, we have enjoyed a round or 2 together. 

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Right after I started my sophomore year in High School, right before my 15th birthday, so been playing for 37 years now.  I actually never picked up a club before that, I always played baseball.  I had snuck out of home room with friends who were going to the golf team meeting.  While sitting there the coach of he team comes right over to me and says so Mr. Scott you're playing golf with us this year. So of course I said yes, went home, my best friends father had an old bag, a bucket full of clubs, he put a set together for me (not sure more than two clubs matched) and I went and hit balls later that evening in the school gym into a net.  And that was all she wrote, fell in love with game and have been playing every since.  Broke 100 the first time I ever played and was a 9 handicap by my junior year.    

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

42!  Isn't the answer to everything 42? In this case, it is, for me.

I succumbed to peer pressure (wife, friends) and went to a driving range session and then to an executive par 3 track and that was it: I was hooked. It's been just over 15 years since then and I can't see stopping playing golf unless I am physically completely unable to.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I was 9 years old the first time I played an actual "round" of golf.  It took place, in 1965, at Mullet Lake CC: a nine hole course in the Tip of the Mitt.  The clubhouse was a trailer and pull-carts were free.  Lost one ball (we assume) to a gopher hole and managed to par the shortest par 3.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!