IGNORED

What wedges should a beginner have in his bag?

Note: This thread is 4001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to assume you have a PW that's approximately 48 degrees of loft. I'd add a 52 degree gap wedge and a 56 degree sand wedge.

I'd stay away from the lob wedge for a while. They're great when you hit them properly but they require a LOT of practice to play properly. You have to be experienced enough to read the lie and confident enough to be really aggressive and I don't think it's the best choice if you're learning the game.

I think a lot of amateurs tend to get over zealous with a LW and try to hit it all the time whether it's required or not. If you're hitting your wedges properly you won't have trouble stopping the ball so there's no reason to throw the ball 90 yards into the air on every shot around the green.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

i dont think it's the same as a Gap, because in Tiger Wood Golf 2010 it's a completely seperate club. I'm 99% sure in the game it goes AW, LW, SW, GW, PW

I don't think so. I've seen both AW and GW that are 50* and several websites that claim they are the same. Here's how I understand the history, golf gurus feel free to correct me:

The AW/GW came out of necessity after all the marketing geniuses at golf equipment companies spent a couple decades de-lofting their irons to make them hit farther, leaving them with a loft gap between the PW and the SW (presumably the SW was never de-lofted). The AW/GW was designed to fill this gap, and I've heard that that's where the "gap" in "gap wedge" comes from, it was introduced as a club to fill the loft gap between the PW and SW that many club purchasers were left with. When such clubs were first introduced, I thought the "approach" term was used by Ping and another company while everyone else used "gap". Same club, but as it was introduced different companies used different terms, leaving us today with two terms for the same club.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

My old cg gold aw iron was after my pw, maybe 50*

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I'm almost embarrassed to ask... but what exactly is the AW? I've googled it not 2 days ago to no avail. Thanks

It's the wedge that fits between the pitching and sand wedge. Attack, approach, or awesome wedge. Take your favorite.

i dont think it's the same as a Gap, because in Tiger Wood Golf 2010 it's a completely seperate club. I'm 99% sure in the game it goes AW, LW, SW, GW, PW

The Tiger games gave different names for what were, effectively, 2° differences. If anything after a PW is included in a set, the name varies by manufacturer, but the loft is typically in the 50-51° range.

I'm going to assume you have a PW that's approximately 48 degrees of loft. I'd add a 52 degree gap wedge and a 56 degree sand wedge.

There aren't that many sets with this loft. GI sets are typically 45-46°, with players' irons a degree weaker. Of the sets I've seen recently, I think only the MP-67s have a 48° pitching wedge.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a LONG time, I had zero wedges, just 3-PW from my old iron set. It was fine although a bit less than ideal from sand. So IMO you don't *need* any wedges. When I added a wedge, I got a 56 degree sand wedge and I think it was a good move. I think any sand wedge, so probably 54 or 56, is the first wedge you should add just so you have a club with some bounce. I've added a couple cheap wedges since then, but I'm really not convinced they've done me much good. When I'm swinging them well, it's nice to have the extra clubs for full swings, but I was able to do everything I needed with just the SW except maybe on really tight hardpan. For a beginner, I think just taking away the choice between the lofts for the shot you're gonna make will boost your confidence---you can't second guess if there was no other option.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

A sand wedge, could be both from the iron set or individual. Definitely no use for a lob wedge.
Perhaps a gap wedge, if anything.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

My fiance is taking up the game this summer and is struggling from 75 yds and in. She was using a PW and SW to try and get on with multiple mis hits and chunks. She was losing her patience for the game.

I bought her a 42 deg Cleveland Niblick and she loves it. She can now swing with confidence around the green and the club pops the ball up for her for nice pitch and run approaches. Her confidence is back.

I HIGHLY recommend this club for all beginners to help you facilitate your game around the green. Once you get more accomplished then move to the LW or AW for around the green. Cleveland also offers this in a 37 deg.

Good luck

FORE!

Cleveland CG7 3-PW fitted, stiff shafts
Hand me down putter, Jack Nicklaus model
Cleveland Hibore 3 wood 13 deg. stiff shaftCleveland Launcher 9 deg, stiff shaft

At least three wedges

52, 56, 60°

I would get a sandwedge with a medium bounce on it, nothing to extreme, i would get the lobwedge with a few degrees less bounce than the sandwedge.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't think so. I've seen both AW and GW that are 50* and several websites that claim they are the same. Here's how I understand the history, golf gurus feel free to correct me:

your 100% rigth about the way the term Gap came about. I mean you could absolutely be right about AW and GW being the same. I mean I cant answer that because I just learned what the AW was lol. B ut in the game they are diff clubs. Either way I appreciate all the responses. Im going to go to PIAS and Golfer's Warehouse today to look at some GW's.

In my bag:
R9 Driver 10.5 - R-Flex - Graphite
R9 3 & 5 Woods - R-Flex - Graphite
Tight Lies GT 2-8 Irons - R-Flex - Steel
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

I have my PW and SW and I feel comfortable with that.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

• 7 months later...

I'm glad this thread got resurrected.  It was nice to read so many thoughtful responses.  Plus, I'm glad I wasn't crazy when I started thinking a LW is probably the last club a beginner should consider to have in his/her bag.  I don't know what article writer would suggest that it should be in a beginner's bag, but I think that's questionable advice.  IMHO a beginner is more likely, than a more experienced player, to decelerate their swing near the bottom - the kiss of death for a LW shot.  I would think a LW could be a very frustrating club for a beginner.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Originally Posted by NEOHMark

I'm glad this thread got resurrected.  It was nice to read so many thoughtful responses.  Plus, I'm glad I wasn't crazy when I started thinking a LW is probably the last club a beginner should consider to have in his/her bag.  I don't know what article writer would suggest that it should be in a beginner's bag, but I think that's questionable advice.  IMHO a beginner is more likely, than a more experienced player, to decelerate their swing near the bottom - the kiss of death for a LW shot.  I would think a LW could be a very frustrating club for a beginner.

100% agree.  A rank beginner probably doesn't even "need" a SW ( I didn't have one for some 10 years after I started to play with some regularity), although it comes in handy once he's had some lessons about bunker play.  He needs to learn how to execute a basic chip with a short iron or PW before he even starts to think about lob wedges.  A LW can be hard for a fairly experienced player to use competently.  The typical beginner doesn't put the club on the ball consistently enough to use a LW effectively.  99% of the shots I see a LW used for can be executed just as well with a 56° SW.  Technique is more important than loft.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My 2 cents...

In most game improvement iron sets, the PW is now about 46 -- which is an old 9i. I suggest the 50 deg of the iron set -- that is a real PW.

Now, I don't play these any longer but did review them -- but for a beginner I'd suggest a particular wedge -- a Bobby Jones Dave Pelz Wedge in 56 and 60 in standard bounce for the beginner.

Why?

The face is an insert that is indestructible so you will keep your spin -- these are great beaters for guys beginning the game.

Second, the shaft is heavier and this helps the beginner with rhythm, especially on partial shots - helps a lot.

Third, the grip is more midsize which helps eliminate some handiness.

Fourth, they are really fine wedges. The feel is good, the spin is excellent and they are accurate.

Fifth -- I do think they will help you more than other wedges until you learn how to use a wedge and the more subtle aspects of the short game and how to use the bounce on the club.

Now, you wont' get many recommendations for these since they are not an OEM that you see everyday. They are sold on the bobby jones website. But having played about every wedge at one time or another over the last 10 years, including the exotics, these are a fine choice for what I believe would help a beginner enjoy the game more.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Id skip the gap wedge, but Id definetly want a lob wedge.  IMO, a 54* wedge would be a good idea because its kind of a compromise between a gap wedge and a sand wedge and 58* or 60* lob wedge would be good for hitting short little pitch shots around the green that go high and land soft.

Just be forewarned that it takes some practice to be good with a lob wedge, so be prepared to practice with it a lot and suck with it at first.

• Upvote 2

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

PW 48*, GW 52* SW 56*

LW 60* when you're comfortable

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It's already been said by numerous wise posters, and I agree.  PW and SW.  I think a beginner should only focus on using two clubs around the green-PW for most chips/shots with a little run out, SW for bunkers, tight pin locations, etc.  If I'm biased because that's how I learned then so be it.  If your PW is actually 43* or 44*, then yes, you need to add some sort of GW.  If your PW is 45*-48* I'd wait until you are confident and comfortable with both the PW and the SW, and then I'd add a GW.  Learning to hit the PW and SW consistently/proficiently is vital to the success of the beginning golfer, and when the GW is added it will just become a useful tool rather than another stumbling block.  I'd add the LW last.  I have nothing against the LW, and have a 58* or 60* wedge in my bag 99% of the time.  But there's no denying there's a higher margin for error, and I've seen huge swaths of beginning golfers and high 'cappers hit horrible chunks and bladed flops around the green, usually with a LW in their hands.  For that matter, I've seen lots of better golfers do the same.  LW is a great tool, but requires a lot of practice, and won't be useful to a beginner in nearly as many situations as a solidly struck PW, GW, or SW.  I understand some will disagree, but this is how I see it, both in terms of my personal experience, and watching/golfing with other golfers at various times over the last 16 years.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!