IGNORED

Driver Off the Deck

Note: This thread is 2079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't really consider it, my 3w is nearly as long and it's a gem off the deck.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Never done it.  Can’t think of a situation I ever will.  I don’t even hit 3W off the deck more than 10 times in a year.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 1 month later...

The more I do this, the better I get. Key seems to be weight forward and hitting slightly down like an iron. I don't use this to reach par 5s in 2 though, I use it to knock one on 200 yards without having to worry about it going left or right too much

I was amazed today.  The course we played had 5 par 5s and several long par 4s.   My playing partner today hit his driver at least 7 times from the fairway with great success.   He has a steep angle of attack but a high percentage of the time it goes well.   It's a running joke in our group, DOD (driver off the deck)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 6/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, saevel25 said:

I never really found it necessary to hit the driver off the deck. 

That's because there just aren't that many 700 yard par 5s out there for you to reach in 2 :-P

I've never done it. Never wanted to try. I've broken a few driver shafts in the past and I'd rather not do it again.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's because there just aren't that many 700 yard par 5s out there for you to reach in 2 :-P

I've never done it. Never wanted to try. I've broken a few driver shafts in the past and I'd rather not do it again.

I'll show you how it's done next weekend.  Not the breaking shafts thing, the driver off the deck thing

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'll show you how it's done next weekend.  Not the breaking shafts thing, the driver off the deck thing

I am expecting video of this! :-P

I've tried it at the range. Poor choice on my part!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If you have a solid swing it isn't that hard. But it requires good contact. I use it to keep the ball under trees from time to time or if I want to run the ball up to a green. Not a regular shot but not one to fear. Some driver configurations are better for this than others.

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I am expecting video of this! :-P

I've tried it at the range. Poor choice on my part!

If @billchao will take the video, I'll make the swing.  Do you want a cut or a draw?

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If @billchao will take the video, I'll make the swing.  Do you want a cut or a draw?

Just don't kill anybody like JT did:

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

7 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Just don't kill anybody like JT did:

No worries, I'm pretty sure we won't have a gallery following our play.

• Like 1

Dave

17 hours ago, billchao said:

"You gotta use a slightly descending yet sweeping move"...😋

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As low as you tee your ball, I think every one of your drive seems like it's off the deck.. ha ha. 

Anyway, I have a few times on course with mixed results. Don't ever remember hitting it further than my 4 iron though (190ish..) so yeah, like few other posters above I really question the grandiose thought process behind trying this in the place "I need to hit this further than my 3W". Right (eye roll). 

If you (you, meaning everybody other than @DaveP043..:-)) don't do it at least once a week, it seems like a super low percentage shot.  

Vishal S.

20 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm certified in the former anyway so I don't need to see that. Not sure how long it's good for but I don't think I have to get recertified anytime soon 😉

Maybe I'll bring my spare shaft along just to try it. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Did it a few times by accident during my persimmon days when I thought I grabbed a 3w; results were iffy at best, lol!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

20 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

A big Bubba Watson fade would be nice!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 hours ago, GolfLug said:

"You gotta use a slightly descending yet sweeping move"...😋

As low as you tee your ball, I think every one of your drive seems like it's off the deck.. ha ha. 

Anyway, I have a few times on course with mixed results. Don't ever remember hitting it further than my 4 iron though (190ish..) so yeah, like few other posters above I really question the grandiose thought process behind trying this in the place "I need to hit this further than my 3W". Right (eye roll). 

If you (you, meaning everybody other than @DaveP043..:-)) don't do it at least once a week, it seems like a super low percentage shot.  

Both points are fair. For Driver off the deck it definitely requires clubhead speed to get decent carry with a 10 deg loft, many people ahve a hard time getting decent carry with the driver off a tee due to insufficient loft. 

And a cut is MUCH easier (for me) to hit off the deck.

Never tried it. Cant even hit the damn thing off the tee at the best of times! :-D

Annoyingly my 5 year old son can hit both his junior driver and my Ping driver off the deck pretty well for a 5 year old. Its amazing how quickly you can go off a person isn't it? :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I haven't hit a driver off the deck since the original Big Bertha War Bird days.  It's tougher with modern drivers because the sweet spot is above the middle of the face.  It can be done, but it takes a good swing and more clubhead speed than I have.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!