IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

I'm a cord cutter, been watching a lot of the PGA Tour channel on Pluto, they've been showing a slew of old Tiger victories. It's sometimes shocking how mediocre he played his final rounds and how he flirted with disaster on the last holes. 1999 WGC Firestone for example. 

The really amazing thing is that when he wasn't blowing out the field he did what it took to win.  Whether it was hanging on to win or responding to a serious challenge.  Like the 2000 Mercedes, when he and Els were tied going to 18 and Ernie eagled 18.  Tiger matched that, then matched Ernie's birdie on the first playoff hole before sinking a 40 foot birdie putt to win.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, colin007 said:

I'm a cord cutter, been watching a lot of the PGA Tour channel on Pluto, they've been showing a slew of old Tiger victories. It's sometimes shocking how mediocre he played his final rounds and how he flirted with disaster on the last holes. 1999 WGC Firestone for example. 

I know, right?  It's like he didn't even try in his final rounds.  He has blown not one, but TWO third round leads in his career (out of 46).  Look up mediocre in the dictionary, and there's Tiger's picture.

• Like 1

Tiger himself said that on Sunday, he just let the others make mistakes.  When he had the lead, he had no reason to take unnecessary risks on Sunday.  That is what the Golden Bear told him, and Tiger took it to heart.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, Yukari said:

Tiger himself said that on Sunday, he just let the others make mistakes.  When he had the lead, he had no reason to take unnecessary risks on Sunday.  That is what the Golden Bear told him, and Tiger took it to heart.

Except he was so good that sometimes when he was doing this he accidentally blew the field away on some Sundays.

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
6 hours ago, turtleback said:

Except he was so good that sometimes when he was doing this he accidentally blew the field away on some Sundays.

C'mon, making birdie isn't "making a mistake." 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

So will Tiger be playing the Memorial now that it will have no fans?  I assume he will as it is Jack's tournament.

In the meantime, I've been watching this once in a while.  Simply amazing.

Don

3 hours ago, The Flush said:

If he is so good how did he end up with so many bad lies? 🙂

It is just a guess, but possibly because he was playing golf.

Rich - in name only

3 hours ago, The Flush said:

I assume because he plays municipal courses like the rest of us.  I mean, hasn't he won a ton at Torrey Pines?

Although I hear he's going to play in Ohio soon, but I don't think they're at a municipal that week.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Here is something for all you fathers passing on your love of the game to your son or daughter. Tiger talking about his son's game.

Edited by iacas
embed these things please
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:26 AM, The Flush said:

Practice, practice, and more practice!  😆

He was never great with the driver, so he ended up in so many difficult 2nd shot areas, he had years of practice.  LOL!

Don

On 7/6/2020 at 11:18 PM, Yukari said:

So will Tiger be playing the Memorial now that it will have no fans?  I assume he will as it is Jack's tournament.

In the meantime, I've been watching this once in a while.  Simply amazing.

Wishing Tiger could play some of my second shots...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Wishing Tiger could play some of my second shots...

Well, I know he seems to be playing from similar trouble spots as I am.  😆

But a very different results

Edited by Yukari

Don

This is apropos of nothing but it happened to pop into my head today. SB Nation used to have a running gag of calling him "Noted Golf Enthusiast Tiger Woods."

Very stupid, but it killed me every time. Still kinda cracks me up. 

GYI0064695237.jpg

Despite re-aggravating knee and achilles injuries at the 2011 Players Championship, Tiger Woods announced that he still plans on playing in the 2011 U.S. Open from June 16-19.

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

I learned something new today.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger skipping the WGC St.Jude. Well that pretty much puts his chances to win the PGA at slim to none. Can’t win majors if you don’t get tourney reps. Feel like Tiger is headed towards becoming a majors player only.

Edited by ChrisP

4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Tiger skipping the WGC St.Jude. Well that pretty much puts his chances to win the PGA at slim to none. Can’t win majors if you don’t get tourney reps. Feel like Tiger is headed towards becoming a majors player only.

He said he was having problems with his back at Memorial. Said it’s day to day, and he never knows what day it’s going to be. He might catch lightning in a bottle for a week, but the future is not looking too good. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Obviously he's not the 2008 Tiger, but he's proven more than a few times he doesn't need many reps to win. I mean, he didn't play from April until June and won that one.

If he's feeling fine, and if anyone can, he is the guy.