IGNORED

Do you carry the Rules of Golf with you when you play?

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 3119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you have the Rules with you on the course?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the Rules with you on the course?

• Yes, the app
    • No

I get my hard copy from the USGA each year with my membership (since 1987), and I also have the app on my phone.  I don't have to refer to either unless it's to set a playing companion straight.  Since I play by the rules all the time, I never get into the complicated issues that arise when simple playing rules are breached, so I don't really need the book for my own play.  

Seems like it comes into play more often when someone asks me how they are supposed to proceed in a situation and they don't believe the answer - then I dig out the book if time allows.  If we don't have time right then, I let them deal with it as they feel they must, then show them the rule later.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I keep a copy.  I play in enough club events that it's important to be able to reference it.  I think it's only come up once or twice in a round where it was needed, but I was glad for it.  It weighs almost nothing and I use a push cart, so why not?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I remember once on the golf channel Ken Venturi once said he only plays by 2 simple rules play it as it lies or something else.. Anyway I make my own rules I play it down but give myself relief from those soggy areas on an otherwise dry course. I never play ob and play everything else as a hazard.

I don't carry a rule book very often but do own one that comes with my USGA membership each year.   When I am playing in competition I usually do take the rule book with me. For regular playing with the guys if something comes up I do what I believe the rule is and look it up when I get home.

Edited by ghalfaire
missed a word

Butch

Yes, plus the phone app.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have the Rules of Golf app by the R&A, but do not carry the book. The app by the R&A works well for me, as it has a brief summary of the rules in plain English, as well as the extended rule book.

No, 99.9% I play with my friends and we really don't care what one does, or what score they want to record.  The "score" is secondary to the banter and fun we have. 

With that said, I do feel we play fairly close to what the rules state.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

For everyone who thinks that they play "pretty much" by the Rules, can you say with any certainty what the prescribed procedures are for:

1) loose impediments,

2) obstructions, both moveable and immoveable,

3) a ball in ground under repair or in casual water,

4) a ball in a water hazard or a ball in a lateral water hazard,

5) lost ball or ball out of bounds,

6) unplayable ball?

These are elementary! (Rules 23 though 28.)

If you don't know these, then you need to carry something. This thing, available for a few bucks from the USGA shop, will do the trick:

common_golf_rules.thumb.jpg.5353f2b66187

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I remember once on the golf channel Ken Venturi once said he only plays by 2 simple rules play it as it lies or something else.. Anyway I make my own rules I play it down but give myself relief from those soggy areas on an otherwise dry course. I never play ob and play everything else as a hazard.

OB is huge if your keeping a real handicap and play to a 6.  Everything else as a hazard?  All hazards are not the same. 

I think Ken said, "I play the ball down and ask for a ruling when I don't know what to do". 

@Mike Boatright - I'm giving you a bit of hard time.  I do know what you mean as I play with some people that play similarly.  Of course I naturally judge them but I don't think any less of them as a person.  Just don't brag about beating me when you shot 79 and I shot 81 but you dropped on your line of flight on all three of those balls you hit OB.

:beer:

PS- As long as I'm not playing for money against you or we aren't playing in a tournament, I don't care what you do or what rules you play by.  I'm cool if you want to drop on your line when it went OB or move the ball off that root so you don't kill your wrist etc...

Edited by JP golf

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

• Administrator

:doh: Then you are not a 4 handicap. Or a 6. Or whatever you claim to be.

Learn the Rules. If you play in any competitions at all, do yourself the favor and learn them. They're not difficult.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My home course doesn't have any ob so yeah!  I know most of the rules as there is way to many of them anyway. Like on tv when the player has to drop it twice then place it so lame and waste of time just place it,or that one tournament at harbor town where that guy nipped a leaf on his back swing and the scooter libby douch was there lurking... He had to call a penalty on himself and cost him the tourney I think Jim furyk won. The rules aren't honorable or there to help you most of them are stupid and a waste. You should be able to ground your club in a hazard use 16 clubs and generally get relief from most situations that require it like a plugged ball in the fairway or if a ball lands in a  sand divot on the fairway in no way should you get penalized for hitting the fairway.

Edited by Mike Boatright
  • Upvote 2

My home course doesn't have any ob so yeah!  I know most of the rules as there is way to many of them anyway. Like on tv when the player has to drop it twice then place it so lame and waste of time just place it,or that one tournament at harbor town where that guy nipped a leaf on his back swing and the scooter libby douch was there lurking... He had to call a penalty on himself and cost him the tourney I think Jim furyk won. The rules aren't honorable or there to help you most of them are stupid and a waste. You should be able to ground your club in a hazard use 16 clubs and generally get relief from most situations that require it like a plugged ball in the fairway or if a ball lands in a  sand divot on the fairway in no way should you get penalized for hitting the fairway.

Ah, another angry Rules troll. 

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

There are other threads for this line of discussion.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Why participate if you don't want to play golf?  Especially, why waste your time and ours in the rules forum?  

(I don't know how this ended up with Colin's ID on the quote as it was quoted from Boatright's post.  This new format has some navigational deficiencies.  I'm still trying to figure out how to access my preferences, too.)

Edited by iacas
Quote was mis-attributed to ColinL

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!