IGNORED

Phil or Tigers Career

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whose career would you have rather had?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Whose career would you have rather had?

• Phil
    • Tiger
    • Other

16 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Not saying that.  Everyone knows that he was probably the greatest ever based on his wins, especially majors, over a short time frame.

But I will say that I am not sure that he will receive the same reverence as Payne Stewart.  I realize that Payne died in a tragic accident, but his legendary status has surpassed his career accomplishments.  Not saying anything bad toward Payne, but the public and the game have truly celebrated him.

John

Ive never understood golfs love for uber-sentimentalized father figures. I don't think that sentiment trumps results in evaluating a career, though a lot of folks do. Every pro sport does it some some way (especially baseball) but in golf its off the charts lol. Its why golf has players Fred Couples in its hall of fame. 

For golf, no question.  It's Tiger.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Remember, the question isn't "who do you think was more successful?"  but rather, "who would you rather be?"  Those are entirely different questions.

Isn't the question: "Who's career would you have rather had?" I know the conversation has been further defined but in terms of career IMO it has to be Woods and by a huge margin. He's the second best golfer of all time and in his prime was phenomenally dominant.

Edited by MSchott

16 minutes ago, MSchott said:

Isn't the question: "Who's career would you have rather had?" I know the conversation has been further defined but in terms of career IMO it has to be Woods and by a huge margin. He's the second best golfer of all time and in his prime was phenomenally dominant.

Correct.  But however you slice it, IMO, it's certainly not the same as "which of them had more success?"  (Which is really all I was pointing out there)

Some people simply are cutting it off at the number of trophies or fame.  Others are factoring in injuries, quality of life, what have you.

Somebody ought to ask TW and PM if either one would want the others' career. Put yourself in PM's shoes and tell me PM wouldn't kill to have TW's career. Heck, he would take just so that he could have the US Open. Tiger would probably laugh, even given his injuries if offered Phil's.  

See I believe one fine morning you can suddenly find life, you can magically learn to be happy or find happiness in whatever state you are. Tiger seems to be having fun raising his kids and maybe one of these days a fine woman will come along and make an honest man out of him. He may be he (if he decides to) will drop his guard and become a CBS commentator or something and people will eat it up.

All will, or at least CAN be good and his life will be as good as Phil's is apparently.  Having done the hard part of on course achievement, he can have it ALL after all.

Reverse will never be true, as in Phil may have a better/happier of course life but  will never rise to Tiger's career in totality. He can't just make up for it one fine morning.

So, yeah, still Tiger's career for me.

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Put yourself in PM's shoes and tell me PM wouldn't kill to have TW's career.

No way would Phil have wanted to play for all those years with inferior equipment.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

Colin Cowherd is a gigantic dummy and only he would talk about successful marriages in terms of a "career." The answer is clearly Tiger.

What Cowherd should have asked is "Whose life would you rather have?" Which, btw, is an impossible question to answer even if you knew both of them intimately, because a person's inner struggles are their own. But Cowherd is a gigantic idiot who uses words poorly and is really unintelligent and stupid.

P.S. Cowherd is a moron, a blockhead, and an imbecile.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

16 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Colin Cowherd is a gigantic dummy and only he would talk about successful marriages in terms of a "career." The answer is clearly Tiger.

What Cowherd should have asked is "Whose life would you rather have?" Which, btw, is an impossible question to answer even if you knew both of them intimately, because a person's inner struggles are their own. But Cowherd is a gigantic idiot who uses words poorly and is really unintelligent and stupid.

P.S. Cowherd is a moron, a blockhead, and an imbecile.

So how do you feel about Cowherd, don't hold back.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

18 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

So how do you feel about Cowherd, don't hold back.  

At least he's not Skip Bayless.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

20 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

At least he's not Skip Bayless.

Never liked Cowherd when he was in Vegas, and Skip Bayless is absolutely the worst imo. Bayless is the reason I quit watching Jim Rome's show because he had "Skippy" filling in for him so much. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The poll said career. So i assumed thats the question. 

I voted as "career" too. If the question was "life" I'd have to know far more about their lives to even begin to approach an educated guess.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

If the question was "life" I'd have to know far more about their lives to even begin to approach an educated guess.

Banging a pancake waitress vs skirting around the edges of white collar crime?

Give me the first half of Tiger's and the second half of Phil's and I'd be a happy man.

As for who I'd rather be right now, that goes without question----Phil. 

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 2

Well there is an other option, Jack? Most majors, most professional wins overall, played to the ripe old age of 65.

21 hours ago, mtsalmela80 said:

Well there is an other option, Jack? Most majors, most professional wins overall, played to the ripe old age of 65.

That wasn't the OP's question. Tiger has more amateur and professional wins than Jack. Jack just has more majors.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/27/2016 at 7:29 AM, boogielicious said:

That wasn't the OP's question. Tiger has more amateur and professional wins than Jack. Jack just has more majors.

I believe Jack has more pro wins when considering his entire career, not just PGA Tour wins. And I believe there is an "other" option on the poll.

Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!