IGNORED

The Relatively Common Shot that is Most Difficult for You

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As the most relatively common shot that's hardest for me, it is the chip from about 15 yards (give or take) off the green. I'm still learning how to calibrate this shot, and how to decide when to hit on and run the ball to the hole and when to fly it all the way there.

For me it's the mid range pitch,  40-50-60 yards, that gives me problems. Full swing or a chip is no issue, but I will shank those mid range pitches more often than not. And I cannot figure out what I'm doing to cause it. I think I'm letting my weight fall into the balls of my feet.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Common shot? For me it's the simple bump and run shot with a less lofted club. The green side shot that most players would use a 9 ,8 iron or less and just carry it on and roll like a putt. I cannot judge the run out with any consistency. I find that my practice time, and on course method is better to just carry the ball halfway or closer to the hole.

it is the 10 to 15 yard chip off a tight lie...I have no problem with the rough or even the fringe cut. it is mental and physical. at times when I am practicing it is no problem but if I don't get to the range for a week or two the first thing to go is that chip.

I am resolved to putt from longer then I prefer and it actually isn't terrible for me but when there is bunker involved or I am forced to chip over the corner of rough short of the green...sigh

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

On July 30, 2016 at 6:13 PM, The Recreational Golfer said:

As the most relatively common shot that's hardest for me, it is the chip from about 15 yards (give or take) off the green. I'm still learning how to calibrate this shot, and how to decide when to hit on and run the ball to the hole and when to fly it all the way there.

7 hours ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

it is the 10 to 15 yard chip off a tight lie...I have no problem with the rough or even the fringe cut. it is mental and physical. at times when I am practicing it is no problem but if I don't get to the range for a week or two the first thing to go is that chip.

I am resolved to putt from longer then I prefer and it actually isn't terrible for me but when there is bunker involved or I am forced to chip over the corner of rough short of the green...sigh

The 15 yarder is the in between shot for me to decide whether I could play along the ground or flop it there.  Those are very different techniques so I have make my mind up to either fly it there and stop or pick a spot to land and roll the ball to the hole.  If I am wishy-washy its going to end badly.  

If lie is good for both I usually go for the chip . I would flop if the slope was extreme or the contour of the green was such that true roll can't make it to the hole. 

If I'm short sided by a bunker I have played a chip with a LW if I feel the landing area is  big and doable and there is a true roll to the hole.  It's not a flop where I land as close to hole as possible but ball that lands halfway there and roll the rest 

Any tee shot where the tee markers are either not pointed in line with there the box is pointed, or where the box isn't pointed down the fairway. Gets me every single time. 

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Mid iron to a small green into a 20 mph wind.  This is the usual shot on our final hole(the wind doesn't always blow, but it does most of the time).  Hitting into the wind exaggerates any swing flaws.  

The one shot that I still don't know how to even approach is the LONG bunker shot... say 40-50 yards.    I've got a course where there's two back to back bunkers & if you hit into the back one, you have to clear the front one to make the green ... whoever designed that should be flogged.   Repeatedly...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

The 3-foot putt where the green is breaking sharply left to right (or reverse). I have missed so many of these..

Uphill & downhill putts are no problem by comparison. 

On 7/27/2016 at 1:43 PM, mcanadiens said:

Kittyhawk dirt trap shots. Bloody things look like a dry creek bed after a drought burned off all the water. Rocks everywhere. 

All the conventional sand trap instruction goes right out the window here and I still haven't figured out how to get out of them.

Yep. Sad I won't have to deal with those any more. :-D

For me, it's the 70 yard pitch shot after I just crushed a drive. It seems like I will hit those severely fat more often than not. The same shot on when it is my 3rd (non-par 5) I will have success most of the time. Explain that crap. 

- Shane

There is this one shot......

That one where the ball is down there and I try to take one of my clubs and hit it where I want it to go.

I really stink at that shot.  (sorry, "golf shot")

Bill - 

2 hours ago, hockeyref18 said:

For me, the bunker shot from 50 to 60 yards out is absolutely terrifying for me.  It's a shot I can't really practice on except for actually on the course.  

Funny how we all have different weaknesses and strengths.  This isn't a really difficult shot for me.  Getting the distance perfect is, for sure.  But I can get these reasonably close by using a SW or GW (usually use a LW in a greenside bunker) and pitching it like I would from the rough, meaning, ball first, not sand.  Try it.

Had a nemesis shot on Sunday.  20-yard greenside bunker on a severe downhill slope with a huge lip about 2' above my ball, 20' away.  Got it out but it skidded past the hole, off the green 30' from the hole.  Never get those close.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The thick kikuya grass rough gives me fits especially when the ball is sitting down in the rough, I'm close to the green and need to perform a short shot.  I took a picture of one this morning, this one isn't actually in the rough but on the fringe bumped up against the rough.  In the first picture you can only see a tiny part of the ball at the edge of the rough in front of the bald spot.

The problem I have is that my club will get grabbed and stopped by the grass and I'll only advance the ball about a yard.

This one I put the ball back in my stance and hit more sharply down on it with a 'chitch'.  I was successful and put it close this time.  I don't seem to be able to use my normally go to @iacas pitching method in this situation.  

20160803_084656.jpg

20160803_084640.jpg

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Had a nemesis shot on Sunday.  20-yard greenside bunker on a severe downhill slope with a huge lip about 2' above my ball, 20' away.  Got it out but it skidded past the hole, off the green 30' from the hole.  Never get those close.

Ugh, that's another one for me. The downslope bunker shot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!