IGNORED

The 8 minute tee-time slot - why do they use it?

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This topic was spawned by a @drmevo thread on single golfers.

Does your club allow tee times every 8 minutes? As the course becomes full this would be physically impossible to pull off. So what's the point?

Is it just over-booking? Or are there some other variables that feed in to this ?

One good analogy is freeway driving. It's a known fact that freeways slow down as more cars occupy the lanes. Because people can't move in lock step is what causes traffic.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

It's all about revenue. 

I think my home field goes every 10 minutes. However, I don't think it matters to them, because they don't utilize a starter. After paying your tee fees, they just send you to the first tee, you get situated, and hit when it's your turn.

As a matter of fact, quite a few courses in the area don't use a starter now that I think about it. Others will use one in the mornings, but not after lunch. 

My point is, without a starter, tee time intervals don't work. 

• Upvote 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Patch said:

My point is, without a starter, tee time intervals don't work. 

8 minutes is pretty standard here, including at my private club, where an extra minute or so isn't generating any real additional revenue.  

I agree.  The starter is key.  Without an active, even aggressive, starter to keep things on time off the first tee, the interval means little.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't think I've played any course that didn't use 8 minute intervals. Typically it's not too big a problem. Most of the time the flow moves pretty well with only short waits, the only time I regularly experience back ups is when I'm playing league or stuck behind a league. For some reason people who play leagues around here tend to play pretty slowly.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Like others have said, yes all courses around here that I know of have 8-minute slots and most do not use starters or if they have them they just stand there and pretty much just tell people that the scorecards are in the mailbox and maybe give us a pin location for the day... they don't really manage anything. People just tee off when the group in front is clear.

As you said, you can only go as fast as the slowest group that way. But to your analogy the reason we have traffic jams on freeways is because cars inherently stop much quicker than they can (or people are willing to) accelerate. One day with confidence in autonomous vehicles we'll program cars to accelerate more quickly to recover those gaps :) 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

If you assume 36 groups can "fit" on a par-72 course (par-minus-2), and everyone played a 4-hour round, you'd have tee times spaced just under 7 minutes. The 8-minute spacing gives a little breathing room.

If you want FAR more detail about it than you ever thought existed (with bonus calculus!):

http://www.columbia.edu/~ww2040/Golf_Thpt_072914.pdf

• Upvote 1

- John

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

If you assume 36 groups can "fit" on a par-72 course (par-minus-2), and everyone played a 4-hour round, you'd have tee times spaced just under 7 minutes. The 8-minute spacing gives a little breathing room

Agreed. The 8 mins tee time is fine with a starter and folks playing to pace. The problems occur when people play SLOW.  With that, a 10 min interval wouldn't make a big difference

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Agreed. The 8 mins tee time is fine with a starter and folks playing to pace. The problems occur when people play SLOW.  With that, a 10 min interval wouldn't make a big difference

Except the first group takes 10 minutes to get 150 yards out because they've scattered balls all over the scenery. And the next group has 2 guys "that can reach" the group in front... 460 yards away.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RayG said:

Except the first group takes 10 minutes to get 150 yards out because they've scattered balls all over the scenery. And the next group has 2 guys "that can reach" the group in front... 460 yards away.

You can't regulate stupid.  These problems are golfer problems, not an issue with the tee time interval.  Having an effective marshall on the course can decrease the severity of these kinds of problems, but nothing can eliminate them, short of booting people off the course.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Agreed, yet EVERYONE in the business and everyone playing knows 8 minutes is a fantasy-land idea. Go over-aggressive on marshalling and people get P.O'd ("I paid my $50, get lost!) and won't return. So, it's a free for all where Rangers spend time cruising around joking with their buds or telling the LAST group in the line to "pick up the pace" when the problem is 4 groups ahead. IF they have Rangers at all (a common occurrence at most Muni's and public type courses). 

7 minutes ago, RayG said:

Agreed, yet EVERYONE in the business and everyone playing knows 8 minutes is a fantasy-land idea. Go over-aggressive on marshalling and people get P.O'd ("I paid my $50, get lost!) and won't return. So, it's a free for all where Rangers spend time cruising around joking with their buds or telling the LAST group in the line to "pick up the pace" when the problem is 4 groups ahead. IF they have Rangers at all (a common occurrence at most Muni's and public type courses). 

Again, virtually every course I (and most other responders here) play uses 8 minutes, and absent individual slow play, the interval works fine and doesn't seem to contribute to over-crowded, or slow courses....which is the question posed by the OP.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, RayG said:

I'll go back to the original post.  The reason most courses use 8 minute intervals is simple economics.  The more people they can get off of the first tee, the more money they make.  In many high-demand areas, golfers will fill up all the available slots, no matter how slow the play gets.  If a group has a bad experience, and decides not to return, another group will fill their place.  If I'm a course owner, why should I choose to accept 24 players per hour (6 groups at 10 minutes) instead of 30 players (7.5 groups at 8 minutes)?  Has anyone here ever gone to their boss and said "I'll take a 20% pay cut"?  Now if the courses did see a noticeable loss of business, they might change their practices, but if the tee sheet is full, there's no motivation to change.  And to be honest, I think it the cost of hiring someone to marshall effectively would be much less than the loss of revenue associated with changing to 10 minute tee intervals. 

And if you read some of the posts above, you'll see that 8 minute intervals work for at least a few clubs, its not a complete fantasy

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, RayG said:

Agreed, yet EVERYONE in the business and everyone playing knows 8 minutes is a fantasy-land idea. 

That's not true.  8 minutes works pretty well at a lot of courses.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

And if you read some of the posts above, you'll see that 8 minute intervals work for at least a few clubs, its not a complete fantasy

Yup...probably more than 50% of them, in fact.

• Upvote 1

- John

We use 8 minute intervals at Newman... it works ok if the players are playing to pace. If not we get backed up.... back before when the old Course Manager/Pro was there. He would do 8 minute tee times for the City Championship between 7:30 am and 9:30 am. The final group wouldn't start until after 10 sometimes.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

My course went to 10 minute intervals this year. But we're a CC so the interval timing doesn't mean much.

8 minute intervals are usually pretty good. I've played a couple that were 7.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Our semi-private course has the 8 minute rule and at times is enforced.   There are several marshals and they are only paid with free play.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

We use 8 minute intervals at Newman... it works ok if the players are playing to pace. If not we get backed up.... back before when the old Course Manager/Pro was there. He would do 8 minute tee times for the City Championship between 7:30 am and 9:30 am. The final group wouldn't start until after 10 sometimes.

And the course can handle it. 

There's two around me that do 8 minute pace of plays. 

Course #1:  Par 4 slight dog leg away, Par 5 (short) , Par 4 (dog leg), Par 3 (water carry at about 170 from the TIPS)

Course #2: Par 5 (long) with water carry,  Par 3 (long, 170 carry from the whites) to islandish green, Par 4 (long) with tight wooded fairway.

Course #1 will cruise along even with 4 guys on opposite sides of the fairway. 

Course #2: Well it's just a cluster until you get past that third hole.  The 2nd hole is poorly designed with the teeboxes so they can't move the "whites" anywhere up without it being too insulting. 

I've also noticed that on course #1, the tees are way more friendly for weekend play while course #2 plays longer with both tees and stupid pin placements.  

Course #2 could simply setting the "whites" and tips not crazy far back and dropping the pin more towards the center (no stupid tucked placements) and giving folks some bailout areas on the water carries.  I've seen too many folks laser the flag and say it's 171 when it's 3 feet off the front edge.   What the fail to realize is you can take your 185 carry club and still be a GIR.  

Perhaps they should all have to read LSW :-)

2 hours ago, 101101 said:

And the course can handle it. 

There's two around me that do 8 minute pace of plays. 

Course #1:  Par 4 slight dog leg away, Par 5 (short) , Par 4 (dog leg), Par 3 (water carry at about 170 from the TIPS)

Course #2: Par 5 (long) with water carry,  Par 3 (long, 170 carry from the whites) to islandish green, Par 4 (long) with tight wooded fairway.

Course #1 will cruise along even with 4 guys on opposite sides of the fairway. 

Course #2: Well it's just a cluster until you get past that third hole.  The 2nd hole is poorly designed with the teeboxes so they can't move the "whites" anywhere up without it being too insulting. 

I've also noticed that on course #1, the tees are way more friendly for weekend play while course #2 plays longer with both tees and stupid pin placements.  

Course #2 could simply setting the "whites" and tips not crazy far back and dropping the pin more towards the center (no stupid tucked placements) and giving folks some bailout areas on the water carries.  I've seen too many folks laser the flag and say it's 171 when it's 3 feet off the front edge.   What the fail to realize is you can take your 185 carry club and still be a GIR.  

Perhaps they should all have to read LSW :-)

Well said as far as pin placements goes. I went out to play a local Metroparks course some time ago in the middle of the week. I noticed how challenging the pin placements were, towards the edge of the green, and such. I also knew the greenkeeper, ran into him after my round, and remarked about the pin placements. He replied that they normally did this during the week to preserve the middle of the green for weekend play, when they get bombed!

They were preserving the easy pin positions for the weekends so as to speed up play.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!