IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Heck yeah I would play a Trump couse. I wouldn't have to listen to whining liberals. :-D

And just think of the improved pace of play!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, metaswinger said:

Admittedly, the world we've created is complex enough that making those determinations require information that is just not available.  There are, however, times when it is clear a threshold has been crossed and any involvement with the entity in question either a) demands a response; or b) overrides any possible positive involvement on your part.  If it's clear a clothing line you are considering purchasing was made by forced labor or helped prop up an apartheid dictatorship, would you buy it?  A reasonable person wouldn't.  More complex would be your note on driving a car - I'd say many of the protests oil companies receive are misplaced.  Petroleum has been so fundamental to daily life that it's hypocritical blame them for that fact.  Our focus (and positive energy) should be on finding replacements.

Trump?  He's run a misogynist, racist campaign from the start and it's amazing that it's taken a video/recording for some people to see this (and some still don't!).  

For me, the threshold was crossed some time ago.

I have to disagree... somewhat. I think Trump is probably more typical of many business owners (or anyone else seeking political power for that matter) - even those who claim to so progressive. The only difference is that Trump doesn't have a filter.

Ever do business with Kodak, Hugo Boss, Volkswagon, Bayer, Chase, Random House, Coca Cola, Nestle? These companies and others did business with Nazi Germany. GE artificially raised the price of tungsten carbide with hampered the war effort against the Nazis. (source: http://www.businesspundit.com/10-global-businesses-that-worked-with-the-nazis/11/).

Honestly, I don't give it much thought. I'm pretty sure I've given money to worse people than Trump.

Perhaps you live your life with little compromise - I know some folks who do. Maybe you research companies, their boards of directors, how they treat their labor and the environment, animals, how the companies they do business with treat their labor and environment and so on, before you do business with them.

There's nothing wrong with boycotting businesses - I'll do it if I receive or witness poor customer service. But most of us are at least a little hypocritical when we start passing moral judgement on industries, companies or individuals. 

A little off-topic, but one of my favorite examples of idealistic hypocrisy was the Occupy Wall Street protester who made the news by accepting a position from one of the firms he was protesting against.

Jon

7 minutes ago, drmevo said:

The guy bragged about committing sexual assault. He's not going to see a dime of my money.

And that's why capitalism works, you get to vote with your money who you support financially and who you don't.  

The flaw is that unless you're a diligent consumer, who researches everyone you spend money with, you're likely giving your hard earned money to people that are guilty of much worse than Trump but because they aren't a target of the media you aren't aware of it.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

If I can score a hot deal for $25 on golf now, I'd wear out the turf... I am pretty stringent on my pay to play amounts so I probably would not play them if the pricing was out of my limit.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

33 minutes ago, drmevo said:

The guy bragged about committing sexual assault. He's not going to see a dime of my money.

Haha. I'm pretty sure someone/something you support has done much worse. 

Funny thing on this thread are the people assuming that Trump=Conservative or Hillary=Liberal.  You do know that they aren't honest about their real political opinions?  You do know they only care about your vote?  

13 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

And that's why capitalism works, you get to vote with your money who you support financially and who you don't.  

The flaw is that unless you're a diligent consumer, who researches everyone you spend money with, you're likely giving your hard earned money to people that are guilty of much worse than Trump but because they aren't a target of the media you aren't aware of it.  

That may be technically true but so what?

The thing is, I know about Trump and what he has said and done. If you found out the chef who cooked your dinner at a restaurant didn't wash his hands between using the bathroom and making your food, would you still eat it? Would you say, "Well I'm sure I've eaten plenty of meals prepared by people who didn't wash their hands, or maybe worse" and eat it anyways? 

It goes without saying that we don't always know the bad things others have done, whether it's a business we patronize or a person in our lives. But when we gain knowledge of such things, to shrug it off is at best poor form and at worst could be promoting/enabling something dangerous.

if i had the $$ to spend and didnt kill my bank account.....  Sure i'd play one of the courses....  

I'd love to play some of the Old Courses, And Augusta.... and they didnt start letting women become members till recently....   so if we are talking politics and the way they do business... i feel like people are kind of hypocritical about stuff.... 

But like i said, if i had the $$ and it was no big deal to drop the $$ to play the course,  yea i'd spend the $$ to play the course's

It is what it is

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

And just think of the improved pace of play!

12 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Ha! I almost included that thought in my post. :-)

Please don't go there.

8 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Haha. I'm pretty sure someone/something you support has done much worse. 

Funny thing on this thread are the people assuming that Trump=Conservative or Hillary=Liberal.  You do know that they aren't honest about their real political opinions?  You do know they only care about your vote?  

I will lock this thread if you all cannot behave.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/4/2016 at 2:02 PM, metaswinger said:

After the last 6 months?

Me? Nope.

Why would I want to punish myself for some fault of Donald Trump?   Of course I would play one of his courses.  That's like saying I wouldn't visit France because I don't like their government. 

8 hours ago, drmevo said:

That may be technically true but so what?

The thing is, I know about Trump and what he has said and done. If you found out the chef who cooked your dinner at a restaurant didn't wash his hands between using the bathroom and making your food, would you still eat it? Would you say, "Well I'm sure I've eaten plenty of meals prepared by people who didn't wash their hands, or maybe worse" and eat it anyways? 

It goes without saying that we don't always know the bad things others have done, whether it's a business we patronize or a person in our lives. But when we gain knowledge of such things, to shrug it off is at best poor form and at worst could be promoting/enabling something dangerous.

If a chef doesn't wash his hands, that actually affects my food.  But Trump's political views and behavior don't affect the quality of his golf courses.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Please don't go there.

I will lock this thread if you all cannot behave.

I fail to see how the first two things you quoted warranted a response/reprimand while a comment about performing an "upper decker" in the facilities of a Trump course got nothing. Unless I missed it.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

38 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Why would I want to punish myself for some fault of Donald Trump?   Of course I would play one of his courses.  That's like saying I wouldn't visit France because I don't like their government. 

There are plenty of countries I wouldn't go to because I don't like their government. That's like a chief reason for not visiting a country.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

26 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

If a chef doesn't wash his hands, that actually affects my food.  But Trump's political views and behavior don't affect the quality of his golf courses.

You're right, not a great analogy in that sense - I didn't put too much thought into it. However, if you found out the chef (or take any business) was abusing his employees or doing something else despicable that didn't directly affect you or the quality of the product, would you still go there? 

20 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I fail to see how the first two things you quoted warranted a response/reprimand while a comment about performing an "upper decker" in the facilities of a Trump course got nothing. Unless I missed it.

That was a classic!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It was a general warning not a reprimand. We don't want golf threads devolving into political commentary. This is a golf forum. Once someone starts, it is tempting for others to escalate. Then it can direct traffic to the site to threads with crappy flame war commentary. That is not what The Sand Trap is about. We want to be an exceptional golf discussion forum. I think we are.

I missed the comment you are referring to. Also, we sometimes connect with posters privately to curb issues.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It was a general warning not a reprimand. We don't want golf threads devolving into political commentary. This is a golf forum. Once someone starts, it is tempting for others to escalate. Then it can direct traffic to the site to threads with crappy flame war commentary. That is not what The Sand Trap is about. We want to be an exceptional golf discussion forum. I think we are.

I missed the comment you are referring to. Also, we sometimes connect with posters privately to curb issues.

Isn't this thread politically motivated by it's subject and OP? The post has nothing to do with the architecture or playability of Trump courses. It is asking if anyone would play a Trump course because of the candidacy and the political environment. 

• Upvote 2

- Shane

40 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Personally, I think the Sand Trap would benefit greatly from a complete ban on politics and religion. Plenty of other outlets for that without sullying the Trap. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!