IGNORED

Golf club thief picked the wrong mark - gets held at gunpoint

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Interesting, but it looks like only a small handful of states define it. Either way, I think that in most states, you aren't allowed to use deadly force against someone that stole something from you in a nonviolent manner.

No. Not what I was trying to say.

The guy also did not use deadly force.

And other states might use different terms than "forcible felony."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, disco111 said:

Over the top action..............perhaps, but lets make an observation. 59 yr old dealing with a 24 yr old. how would you detain or attempt to detain physically? Would not think the 59 yr old could handle a physical altercation. OK, let the kid go with the hopes of getting a plate number............what if there was no car and he just keeps on walking away. Also, as a retired fire marshal in Okla, according to the story link, he has peace officer status, which means that he has the power to detain and or arrest., of course depending on the situation. Granted, after the fact, it was found that the 24 yr old had in fact stolen the clubs and at a value of $3800, which is grand larceny and a felony, but at the time of detainment, there was probable cause for said action. Now could the retired guy have maintained a less violent voicing as opposed to "I'm gonna kill you"............most definitely, but suffice to say that fire marshals in general don't make many arrests, if any, so the verbal skills needed for voice commands would be sorely lacking. Gratefully, the thief had enough sense to realize that there was a chance of being shot, so he complied. Sadly, there's to many that don't and we have story after story of what happened next.

concur - good points.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. Not what I was trying to say.

The guy also did not use deadly force.

And other states might use different terms than "forcible felony."

I totally agree with your larger point from your first post, I was just pointing out that even if someone stole your clubs from right under your nose, in most states, it would be unlawful to use deadly force against them. It seemed like you were saying that it would be allowed in most states.

He went way beyond what is allowable as a citizen's arrest and should at least be charged with unlawful use of a firearm and impersonating a police officer.

- Shane

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Sheesh! This almost makes me weep for the future of society! Once again the "PC Police" turn the bad guy into the victim and the victim into the bad guy!

I don't see anyone doing that.

They're saying the "victim" took things too far.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I meant to say "forcible felony."

776.08 Forcible felony.--"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

Treason, huh? So all of us can hold every member of congress at gunpoint, I guess.

"Witty golf quote."

While I can't say I wouldn't do something similar, there are other methods. No way that guy is going to physically "detain" the kid. A license plate number doesn't get the attention of the police like someone calling in about a dude being held at gun point. Who knows, the 24 yr old could have pushed him before the video started. He didn't shoot, so no lethal action was taken. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't see anyone doing that.

They're saying the "victim" took things too far.

How does a 59 year old man detain a criminal half his age and not take it too far?   You either use the threat of force or you let him go and he gets away with the crime.  

• Upvote 3

Joe Paradiso

Understand that this event and publishment of the pic is a liberal construct designed to inflame gun grabbers and influence the under-informed.  Does it appear the dude is a bit over zealous?   Sure, but Jesus, it's a one-off episode by a guy who's lived a law-abiding, perhaps life-saving life.  And we don't know the facts other than what's represented in this piece.  Who remembers Ferguson?  Yes, a complete fabrication.

Let's focus our ire on what truly is a threat and what the media hides from us:  this year there have already been 1491 Islamic attacks in 50 countries, in which 13,277 people were killed and 15,953 injured.

The dude protected his golf clubs, fkn A.  No one was killed or injured.

Edited by Gunther
  • Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

22 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Understand that this event and publishment of the pic is a liberal construct designed to inflame gun grabbers and influence the under-informed.  Does it appear the dude is a bit over zealous?   Sure, but Jesus, it's a one-off episode by a guy who's lived a law-abiding, perhaps life-saving life.  And we don't know the facts other than what's represented in this piece.  Who remembers Ferguson?  Yes, a complete fabrication.

Let's focus our ire on what truly is a threat and what the media hides from us:  this year there have already been 1491 Islamic attacks in 50 countries, in which 13,277 people were killed and 15,953 injured.

And the bad guy is in jail...  

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Treason, huh? So all of us can hold every member of congress at gunpoint, I guess.

Um, no. It states that treason, etc. are defined as forcible felonies. If you hold a member of congress at gunpoint, you are committing a forcible felony. So think twice before you book your trip to DC! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm not a gun advocate  and don't own a gun . . but if you don't want to get a gun shoved in your face then don't steal.  Simple as that.  Under certain (most) circumstances in TX, it's legal to use deadly force to protect property.  In this case I think it would've been illegal because the owner of the clubs approached the thief after the crime had already occurred . . but in TX, if somebody is running down the street with your freshly stolen property you can promptly blow them away. 

Not saying that's right and I certainly wouldn't do it  . .heck, I don't even have a gun.  To say this guy over-reacted, in my opinion, is false . . .nobody got hurt, he got his clubs back.  I'd say he reacted to an appropriate degree, then . .based on the outcome.  If you don't want some old dude shoving a pistol in your face - just don't steal his golf clubs.  Easy.    

• Upvote 3

I'm always amused that people feel like they have to "take sides" on stuff like this. Steal golf clubs? You're an a--hole. Pull a gun on someone and threaten to kill them for stealing golf clubs, refusing to de-escalate the situation? You're an a--hole.

Everybody wins!

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

Haha - "the media hides from us"...you and I are clearly exposed to very different media!

• Upvote 3

- John

The punk got what he deserved. Don't steal people's shit, asshole. 

But, Dirty Harry should totally lose his permit for poor judgement, impersonating a police officer and saying "I am going to kill you." He may be firearm trained, but he is not arrest and detainment trained and that situation could have gone badly. Leave those jobs to the professionals. There was no threat to anyone involved that justified pulling the Rambo act. He wasn't saving anyone's life here. They were golf clubs and likely insured. 

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

Lol. 

:banana: 

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It probably wasn't the "Thief's" first Rodeo, but maybe now it may deter him from future club stealing knowing Old Man golfers carry guns and he may get his Ass shot next time. I score it "One" for the good guys ..

With more citizens packing, crime could decrease...

Our justice system put him back out on the street to probably steal again... That's total BS.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!