IGNORED

What are Your 2017 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My goals for 2017 are:

1) Get the index under 8.0 and stay at least below 9.0 for at least three month.  I got to 8.8 for one revision in 2015, and to 9.3 in 2016 (shortened season due to illness). My game is improving from a ball striking standpoint and I would like to be a solid single digit player for a significant portion of the 2017 season. i.e. starting Jan. 1.

2) Shoot 15 rounds in the 70s.  I did manage 10 rounds in 2015, and 9 in 2016, so this goal needs to be stepped up a bit.

3) Shoot a personal best (currently 75) on a par 70 or higher course, meaning 74 or better, as I did manage a 75 (par 72) in 2015.

4) Get the GIR to 45%. That was the goal in 2015 and in 2016 and remains for 2017. The lessons have been taking as well as a new set of irons that are actually fit for me should help. Around 30% now. I have had several rounds with 10-11 GIRs (55-61%) already. It's a matter of doing it more consistently.

5) Get the putts to under 30 putts per round on average with less than 5.6% of 3-putt (i.e. less than one per 18 holes on average), for at least 2 months. I am there with the 3-putts but overall putts per round are at 31 putts or so (briefly in the low 30s). I need to step up the short game a bit. Scrambling stat is at near 30% and up-and-down at 36% (some up-and-downs are for bogey or worse!).

6) Have a personal best putting round at 24 putts or less (probably scrambling quite a bit).  My current best is 25 which I reached several times last year and this year.

The key is goal #4. If it is met, the rest, except maybe the putting goals, will probably take care of themselves. Ball striking if the focus of my ongoing swing lessons (most of it done with the 6 or 7 iron). I now have a 4-iron in the bag that I am learning to hit as well, and I am going to trade my current 3w/5w arrangement for a 4w (same 5w club but with a bit less loft) and a new 3 hybrid. The putting goals will be achieved by better focused putting practice (less than 10 feet and greater than 25 feet) with the typical drills: thru the gate, round the clock, ladder drill, etc...

I know that this reads and sounds a lot like my 2015 goals, and I started this post by copy/pasting them here, but as almost all were achieved either in 2015 or 2016 (or both), I increased them a bit. 2016 was a stagnant year, where some consolidation did occur (plateau), but not measurable progress. I hope 2017 is measurable! :)

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Between now and the end of 2017 I would like to do the following:

1. Break 80 three times at my home club from the white tees and shoot an 85 or better from the blue tees once.
  2. Get my handicap down to single digits.
  3. Meet new friends at my club that have the same playing schedule as me; I am new.
  4. Walk more rounds. 

I will be able to accomplish my score/handicap related goals by doing the following:

• Stop forcing shots and step away from address if I do not feel comfortable.
  • Schedule two range sessions per week. One of which specifically for short game.
  • Resume my yoga/core workout to regain flexibility and strength.

My overall goal I suppose is to break 100 and stay there.

In order to do this I'll need to (finally) take some lessons, and vastly improve my tee shots. If both of these steps work out the way that I hope, I should also be graduating from 3W to driver off the tee, and possibly from 3H to 3W for longer shots from the fairway.

Our local GAA (Gaelic games club) runs an annual golf competition which I passed on this year for fear of embarassing myself and letting the team down. I aim to play this year, to show more self-belief and to hopefully make a contribution.

After that I'd like to play more than last year, practice more than last year, play a couple of new courses, get a couple of friends to take up the game, and most of all: to thoroughly enjoy all of the above!

I have 2 goals for 2017:

My primary goal it´s to achive scracth golf 0 index for the first time (now i´m at 2) and second to lower my tournament scoring average from 6,4 to 4 or less.

My plan it´s to start practicing twice a week and play 36 holes per week too. (actualy i don´t practice and play in average 27 holes per week.

1 hour ago, cromulent said:

My overall goal I suppose is to break 100 and stay there.

In order to do this I'll need to (finally) take some lessons, and vastly improve my tee shots.

This was my goal last year. If you take the lesson, I promise you will break 100. Even one (1) lesson is a game changer. 

Interesting, never really made any golf goals but you guys have inspired me! Thanks for your help and wisdom in 2016!

Handicap - current 13 on GG, so would like to establish a GHIN number, and shoot for 9

Tournament - never played in one, and would like to give it a go. Lots of options here in DFW and Texas.

Courses - I'd like to play one of my bucket list courses. Pebble Beach most likely.

Game - Consistency is my biggest desire. Place the ball where I want when I want with confidence. I'd like to learn to be able to consistently shape shots in specific situations. This will take quite a bit of practice but I think is the next step in becoming a better golfer. I think this will greatly help to reduce the blow up holes as well, that always cost me strokes in a round. Oh and have fun!

Health - golf has really helped me keep off some weight I had lost, and I'm working in the off season to lose even more. 

1. Hit 60%+ GIR
  2. Hit about 50%+ fairways off the tee
  3. Shoot under par for a full round
  4. Improve scrambling to 60%+
  5. Carry a sub 3 handicap (GG)
  6. Bogey free round

To achieve these goals I plan to practice in some way as well as workout/exercise everyday, to hit balls at least once a week (minimum 1 hr of hitting balls and 1 hr on putting), get a lesson monthly or bi monthly as needed. I also plan on getting an Edel putter and wedge fitting in the spring which I think will help with my short game significantly.

Have fun, keep playing and walking, hit the ball solidly. If I get a little better, or a little worse, I really don't care. I enjoy going to the course almost every day, and I want to keep doing it as long as possible.

• Upvote 2

My goals are simple.

1) Break 90 on every round and ideally have a few rounds where I break 80.

2) Play regularly and t least place in one tournament.

3) Improve my game in terms of swing and score.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1) Track stats for every round
2) Score 77 or better on my home course
3) Golf 3x a week every week (whether it is practice or a round)
4) Improve my putting to only losing 1 stroke per round (from 2.8)
5) Average over 6 GIR/round
6) Get handicap index to 9.9 (currently 14.5)

I will do this by dedicating 2/3 of my practice time to short game and putting and 1/3 to long game. My lack of getting up and down, and frequency of taking 4 shots to get up and down is a glaring weakness and needs to improve.

I will also take 6 lessons with my teacher over the course of the year, including one playing lesson.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Here's my 2017 golf goals:

1. Play more golf on the course, aiming for 24 rounds of 18 holes.

System: Play once every week.

2. I will try my absolute best to break 90 this upcoming year. Broke 100 last summer. 

System: Improve my putts per round and GIR. 

3. Enjoying the time on the golf range or on the course.

System: Turning off my cellphone while there.

Same as last year, to lower my handicap by a couple strokes.  I was on that path early but putting woes derailed that.  I intent to start a relationship of improvement with a PGA professional and try to clean up some of my swing flaws.

Stephen T.

One and only one:  More solid ball-striking from the fairway.  This will take care of so many other aspects of my game and possibly have me playing the best golf of my life and lowest scores.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I would be incredibly happy to make a full swing again, and to be able to play a round of golf.  Man would that be great.  

• Upvote 5

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

1 hour ago, cipher said:

I would be incredibly happy to make a full swing again, and to be able to play a round of golf.  Man would that be great.  

I think everyone would like to see you succeed with your goal. Best of luck @cipher!

• Upvote 1

Jon

2107 Will be my 3rd season committed to golf. A few close friends invited me to join a 9 hole men's league. I'm addicted to the game now. The league motivated me to play. I'm hitting most of the fairways, 2nd shot can be inconsistent, scoring has been a problem. 

Year 2015 Handicap 26 (First Season)

2016 Handicap 18 (Second Season)

2017 Handicap Goal 15

1. Create routine and commit to it.

2. Practice; Work from the green backward (I have to learn to score)

3. All practice begins with putting, then chipping, 100 yds and inward

4. Run through each club to driver and back down again during every single range visit

5. Wedge play; Commit to swing through release

6. Putting: Commit to target, then line, then speed.

7. Carry swing thoughts for each round in back pocket for reminder

8. Practice with a specific purpose in mind

9. Set a target score before each round.

These are just a few things I've laid out in a plan to improve.

I'm looking to lower my Index at least another 2 points this year from my season ending 15.6. That's going to come through more dedicated practice on centered pivot and getting weight forward. If I can get that down I'll move on to working on my shallow to steep transitioning swing unless something else shows up as a priority piece. I've also neglected working on my short game, so I need to implement at least some time working on that.Finally, I am going to try my best to get into the city tournament this year as I really would like to try out playing more competitively.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My overall goal for 2017 will be to get down to a 10 HI (from 13.5 now) and break 80 (which I'll probably have to do in order to get to the first goal). 

I don't see me doing a whole lot different versus last year (I took a good number of lessons throughout the year and kept a pretty decent practice regiment) but my primary focus next year is going to be on my driver...it's KILLING me.  I'm averaging around 33% in fairways hit with no consistency at all.  Going to really try to be more disciplined on shortening my backswing and spending more time with my driver in hand at the range (usually spend the lion share of my practice time working on fundamentals with a mid-iron only).  Also plan on finally getting fitted (Merry Christmas to me!!!) which I'm hoping will also help.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!