IGNORED

How do you sleep at night?!?!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sleep Positions  

37 members have voted

1. 1. In which position do you feel you spend the majority of your time sleeping in a bed?

• On my back
    • On my side
    • On my stomach

• Administrator

I sleep on my side, usually with the bottom (or occasionally both) knees fairly well bent, and my arm under my head but not directly, so it doesn't get a lot of pressure and go numb.

I thought I occasionally slept on my stomach, but I just laid down like that and it's very, very awkward. At most I sleep on about a 45° angle, and even then it's usually temporary and I'll stick out a knee farther and kind of prop myself up more when that gets uncomfortable.

Unless I'm in a reclining chair and really tired, I can't sleep on my back. I'm sure I could if you drugged me, but I can be drop-dead tired and lie in bed for an hour on my back and not fall asleep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually start out on my side, but when finally falling asleep I am on my stomach.

Michael

The same for me. I sleep on my side. Usually with a slight knee bend. If I do lay on my stomach I usually have one leg bent at the knee and hip. I can not fall asleep on my back if I am lying down flat. I can fall asleep in a reclining chair if I am tired enough. 

As a side sleeper I like a firm supportive pillow as to keep my head inline with my body. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On my side, half on top of a large body pillow, though I wake up sometimes on my stomach.

I used to be able to fall asleep laying flat on my back, but then I read that sleep paralysis happens more often sleeping that way and I am not going through that shit again.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Side and back, probably fairly evenly - I voted 'back' though.  Many years ago I slept almost exclusively on my stomach.  Now it is super super uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if the change correlated to when I got a Tempur-pedic, or if it just happened, but I used to have a lot of back problems, and now I don't.  I feel like eliminating stomach sleeping from my repertoire had something to do with that.

Random amusing side note:  I looooooooooove my wife, but no matter which side of the bed I'm sleeping on, when I'm on my side, I'm always facing towards the outside of the bed away from her. :-P

With great difficulty.

I read in bed for at least an hour.  When I can't focus my eyes on the words, I try to fall asleep on one side, then roll over to other other side, then try to sleep my stomach.  I typically have to try each side and my stomach a second time before I actually fall asleep (usually on my stomach.)  At some point I wake up in the night, and then sleep on my side.  Later I wake up again and sleep on my back.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Generally on one of my sides. What I've noticed is that sleeping on one side I'm flexible enough that I can sleep face-down, but sleeping on the other side I'm not. I have no idea why.

Sometimes if I've been tossing and turning for a while but can't fall asleep I'll lie on my back and try to fall asleep that way, but it never actually works. I can't sleep in chairs, and even couches are pretty tough for me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I sleep on my side with knees bent.  I also put a small pillow between my knees that really seems to help with waking up with less pain.    

Random amusing side note:  I looooooooooove my wife, but no matter which side of the bed I'm sleeping on, when I'm on my side, I'm always facing towards the outside of the bed away from her. :-P

Haha, same here!

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

16 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I usually start out on my side, but when finally falling asleep I am on my stomach.

This.  I do have a pillow I put between my knees and one arm around when I'm on my side...but normally i push it to the side and end up on my stomach.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

13 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Random amusing side note:  I looooooooooove my wife, but no matter which side of the bed I'm sleeping on, when I'm on my side, I'm always facing towards the outside of the bed away from her. 

11 minutes ago, cipher said:

Haha, same here!

We've noticed that she typically sleeps on the side of a bed closest to the door. If that side is also closest to the bathroom, then it's 100% certain. Works for hotels, any time we're a guest while visiting somewhere, the homes we've lived in.

I'm a side-sleeper myself, but I've been known to snore on my back. Apparently, my roommates would enjoy throwing things at me while I slept.

Spoiler

I've learned this year about sleep apnea! Damn, I wish I learned more about that earlier in life. I now wear a device that keeps my airways open all night, so I hardly ever have "apnea events" (brain waking to restore breathing). I also don't snore at all now. But I'm kinda forced to sleep on my side with the mask and tubing.

And wow- is this what it's like to get a good night's sleep?!?!??! Why didn't anyone tell me before? I feel refreshed every morning now. I'd say it's like night and day, but that metaphor seems odd. But it's a world of difference to be sure.

Edited by RandallT
fixed quote

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

21 minutes ago, cipher said:

I sleep on my side with knees bent.  I also put a small pillow between my knees that really seems to help with waking up with less pain.    

Ditto. I usually switch sides severals times during the night.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Used to sleep on my stomach, then after back issues, and being told so by my physio, I switched to on my side. It took a bit to train myself, but sure helped my back. The odd time when I am really tired, a flip and sleep on my stomach, and I can tell in the morning just by tightness in my back. 

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

I sleep on my side, usually with the bottom (or occasionally both) knees fairly well bent, and my arm under my head but not directly, so it doesn't get a lot of pressure and go numb.

I thought I occasionally slept on my stomach, but I just laid down like that and it's very, very awkward. At most I sleep on about a 45° angle, and even then it's usually temporary and I'll stick out a knee farther and kind of prop myself up more when that gets uncomfortable.

Unless I'm in a reclining chair and really tired, I can't sleep on my back. I'm sure I could if you drugged me, but I can be drop-dead tired and lie in bed for an hour on my back and not fall asleep.

I could have written this, almost verbatim...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Like many here, flop from side to side through the night with top knee bent with a pillow to keep legs separated and another to rest my half chest on.

Older I get, less positions I find restful comfort in and don't get much deep sleep.  

My wife sleep like a fossil on her side with no pillows almost always facing away from me.. What's up with that??  

Vishal S.

Back mostly, a little on my side. I toss and turn a lot.  Never been comfortable to sleep on my stomach.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

32 minutes ago, Big C said:

"On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful women."

Best answer yet, where's the "Like" button so I can give Big C reputation ???  :beer:

I get asked this question many times by fellow golfers.
My answer is always "Like a Baby" considering they're referring to all the money I win from them...

I have slept with many beautiful women over the years, but now it's with my one and only Sweetheart...
She'd cut my you know what off if you know what.... with any others.... :-O

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!