• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
iacas

Best Shot of the Week

4,597 posts in this topic

Saturday at Monticello CC for Sr MPGA tournament. Hole #7 is closest to pin (152 yards I think?), used my 7 iron (and a lucky bounce) to 1 foot 3.5 inches. Won $50 for it. Best shot of the weekend for me. Finished middle of the pack in 1st flight on Sunday. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

254 yard 5 wood on the par 5 15th at Green Hills, put my group within 10 feet of an eagle.  Helped heavily by hitting down hill, but it was a beautiful shot.

Actually playing my own ball would probably have to be the 120 yard gap wedge (48*...I kind of carry two gap wedges) on the par 5 5th that I stuck to about a foot.  Hit a high fade (my stock ball flight) and nearly jarred it.

I round this weekend and, honestly, I didn't have a single shot that I felt was notable.  A round of 'meh'.  That said, I did get to play so it was still a good day.

Round 1 of the City Championship found me in the fairway of the 10th hole.  I had begun to leak oil at the end of the first nine so my attitude was questionable.  I had hit a nice drive but due to recent rain and advancing age, I was still 220 yards from the green.  The approach to 10 required a high accurate shot to a narrow green surrounded by water and weeds.

i pulled my driver and prepared to .... then sanity returned. I laid up to 100 yards and stuck a wedge to 2 feet to save a par.  My momentary moment of insanity had passed. ;-)

I find trouble shots to be the most enjoyable lately. They seem to bring a nice mixture of risk and creativity.

I was going through my 9 hole course for the second time yesterday. Hole 5 is normally an easy dog leg right that calls for a long iron past the corner, then a mid iron approach down to the green. However, on this day they had the white tee box set back 50 yards.

On the first time through the course, I'd erroneously pulled the 5w and failed to reach my landing spot on this hole. This time I pulled the driver and played a really nice fade that cut the corner and reached the downslope rolling to within 80 yards of the center of the green.

That drive might have been a candidate for shot of the week, but it stopped just close enough to a large maple tree guarding the green on the right to prevent going over it with a gap wedge. So I decided to go under the branches with an 8i punch.

The punch landed on the far side of a little hill where it ran down and then uphill to the green and 6 feet past the flag.

Last Sunday I had a PW approach shot that short-hopped and hit the pin before dribbling off about 10 feet to the right. For a fraction of a second I thought I might have a tap-in birdie. I made a few other pars but that was my best hole of the day. 

I was playing a Titleist ball called "DT Solo" which was on sale at Dick's $19.99/dozen or two for $30. Anyway I thought they had discontinued these (?) I like how it putts and is a good bump and run ball but it does not hold the greens on pitch shots and full shots. I released off the back of the green several times. 

I have two shots that qualify equally.

1st one, I pulled my drive down the left side of hole 12 and it left me about 155 to the flag with a large tree blocking me  from a shot to the green. I set up with a 5 iron back in my stance for a draw. I took the shot and drew it perfectly around the tree to the middle ot the green. Had a 40 foot putt for birdie but settled for par.

2nd one, my drive went the through the fairway of the the 18th hole leaving my ball on a mound, 10 inches above my feet 50 some yards from the hole. I choked down on my 60 degree lob wedge and took the pull into account and aimed about 7 yards right of the hole. Took the shot and nearly holed it but it was a little hot. Unfortunately I watched the ball roll through with no break and putted back the same way except it broke a tad and I missed the 8 footer for bird.