IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, tlazzol said:

I'm sure JR was very disappointed in losing this major.  At the same time he was happy for a good friend's win.  Mixed emotions.

Agree. I thought he gave it away on 13 by not gaining a stroke there. Sergio was a bit wild off the tee at the turn, but then recovered. JR got sloppy in the last few holes.

10 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I thought the same. I wasn't sure if JR had just reached a point of fatigue or what, but his body language suggested that he was conceding to SG immediately after the errant tee shot on the playoff hole.

I agree. With the exception of Kuchar (aided by the ace at 16) we just didn't see many low scores on the back nine. You just don't get the feel that a Jack 1986 style 30 is a realistic possibility anymore. A 30 on the back would've put Rickie, Spieth, Hoffman, etc. a chance to win.

Although I say this without stats in front of me, I'd like to see the back nine scoring average over time to verify this. Perhaps it is the rarity of the back nine 30 that makes it so special. 

Schwartzel won with four consecutive birdies 15 - 18, so it can be done. Pieters looked like he was going to do it too.

I feel bad for Speith. Two wet tee shots on 12 two years in a row in the final round. That is going to be in his head a lot now. They were talking about Dan Jansen the Olympic speed skater who fell in the 500 two Olympics in a row. Jansen's comment was that you can't try to forget it. You have to embrace it and use it as a challenge. Jordan needs to do that now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I thought the same. I wasn't sure if JR had just reached a point of fatigue or what, but his body language suggested that he was conceding to SG immediately after the errant tee shot on the playoff hole.

Well, I guess it can be a bit deflating to be handcuffed like that at that point based on the quality of shot making that was transpiring between both. Also, yeah, the noticeable wince and back-grab after tee shot on 15 might suggest at least some serious fatigue setting in and getting to a point of overexertion. He certainly made no excuse though. I am absolutely a fan now.

Vishal S.

I would not be surprised if Garcia goes on to win another Major before he calls it quits.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I feel bad for Speith. Two wet tee shots on 12 two years in a row in the final round. That is going to be in his head a lot now. They were talking about Dan Jansen the Olympic speed skater who fell in the 500 two Olympics in a row. Jansen's comment was that you can't try to forget it. You have to embrace it and use it as a challenge. Jordan needs to do that now.

I guess, you could argue that it's in his head now and I couldn't really disagree, but IMO it's starting to look like merely a case where the hole just doesn't 'suit his eye'. 12th is pretty but is a weird hole from my TV POV.

Vishal S.

Great tournament, very entertaining.  Justin and Sergio just a great back and forth.  Been wanting to see Sergio get his major finally.

Horrible commentating.  Just terrible.  Both the Arnie thing and the Seve thing (and, BTW, apparently Sergio is from Spain, in case everyone missed the million references of the sort) were just beaten to absolute death when it could have done classy.  They are terrible speakers,,,,, of the microphone. 

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I would not be surprised if Garcia goes on to win another Major before he calls it quits.

If he can stay healthy for the next 5-10 years, I gotta believe he's going to have a good shot at an Open. With the monkey hopefully off his back now, his game seems too well suited to the Open to finish his career without one.

15 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Great tournament, very entertaining.  Justin and Sergio just a great back and forth.  Been wanting to see Sergio get his major finally.

Horrible commentating.  Just terrible.  Both the Arnie thing and the Seve thing (and, BTW, apparently Sergio is from Spain, in case everyone missed the million references of the sort) were just beaten to absolute death when it could have done classy.  They are terrible speakers,,,,, of the microphone. 

I wanted to start a drinking game where every time they mentioned it was Seve's 60th birthday, you would have to drink. We'd all have been hammered on Sunday!

• Upvote 4

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

I wanted to start a drinking game where every time they mentioned it was Seve's 60th birthday, you would have to drink. We'd all have been hammered on Sunday!

Ha!  One of my buddies actually suggested the same thing for every time one of them said "brilliant"!  

:beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

39 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Drowned out the announcing by listening to S-Town, a podcast, while watching - knocked off three episodes - that helped me mute Nantz, Kostis and Finch. Have done this for a regular event, but never for a major. I don't expect golfing industry people to be wordsmiths, but we are eons away from Herbert Warren Wind here. People appreciate a good turn of phrase and they got nothing. Don't even remember what Nantz said after Garcia putted out. I should just drill a hole in my tv and extract the syrup from their sappy, treacly announcing. 

Did anyone mention shades of PGA 99' here? I don't recall. This was a brilliant escape.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.50.50 AM.png

Once and for all! :unsure:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

50 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

First off...was glad to see Sergio win. The Masters is my favorite tournament all year (as I sure it is with most of you). That being said, I always thought what made the Masters great was the fact that guys could really make a charge on the back 9. Since they "Tiger Proofed" the course, you just don't see those really low rounds on Sunday to make that Charge. 65 and 66 was pretty common before the course changes but now your lucky if you get a 67 or 68. Still the best tournament however.

I disagree. It´s not about the course been harder, as a matter of fact scoring average it´s the same now and in 2000´s around Par/+1 for the ones how makes the cut. I think it´s more about the field it´s more consistent and more equal between the players.

In those day´s if the scoring average where par the best players could shoot -8 in a round and the worst could shoot +12. because the best players where a lot better than average and the worst players where a lot worst than average.

This days it´s everything more even. The best players could shoot -5 and the bad could shoot +8. Technology and information make everything more even between the players so it is harder to shoot a really low round below the average.

This years scoring average for the last round was Even Par. Leaders shoot -3, that´s really good rounds. It is hard for the chargers to shoot -6 to catch them up, moreover if they don´t have the hability to shoot that low below the average of the field. The ones who shoot -5 wheren´t in contention on Sunday morning.

It could be done ? YES, but is unlikely. Hoffman shoots -7 on thurday on really difficult conditions. The field average was +3 ! 10 shoots lower than average. It was an insane round. The 2nd best was a really good round too (-4) 7 shoots lower than average but it´s a singularity too.   

13 was defintely the turning point of the tournament. It looked as if Rose was gonna walk off that green with a 4-shot lead and next thing you know it only stayed two. And then Sergio was able to tie it on 15. Crucial point in tournament for sure.

A couple of photo's from the Wednesday practice round before the rain out and evacuation.

Sergio, Rory and Adam Hadwin on 16th tee

58eb99aac60f0_SergioandRory.thumb.jpg.7cb5ebe0ad97ffd96bf3fcd013ace6f2.jpg

Dustin Johnson moving his ball to avoid a tree.

DJ.thumb.jpg.07d2810bb1ef098204df33223c4db01c.jpg

And his final swing of the tournament, they blew the evacuation horn minutes after he hit this shot on the green (5 iron I believe).  Wish the shot would've come out a little clearer.  Should have brought my daughters good camera.

58eb9bc9f3200_djswing.jpg.19fea38ad59ed2b5bb8370d37186e734.jpg

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

OWGR released for 4/9/17 (I didn't realize the golfing world paused for the Masters, but there are no other events listed for last week - no Web.com, no  SAM PGA, no Euro Tour, no Challenge tour, no PGT, no MGT....just the Masters)

Sergio up to #7 (from 11)
Rose up to #8 from (14)

Noren and Scott move out of the top 10

Charley Hoffman & William McGirt into the top 50 (Piercy and ZJ move out, first time out of the top 50 for ZJ since before his 2007 Masters win)

Stricker back into the top 100 (#92) and Alexander Levy moves from 100 to 101

Players play, tough players win!

Had trouble sleeping last night. Stayed up late watching through the 15th hole on the dvr, then finished watching over breakfast this morning. I was glad to see Sergio win it. While watching the Masters I couldn't help but think that I'm glad I'm dedicating more time to practicing my putting. I don't remember those greens at Augusta being this punishing. Anybody else feel the same way? I liked the way it ended with that playoff between those two great players. So fitting that it was Seve's 60th birthday, too.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

3 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

Had trouble sleeping last night. Stayed up late watching through the 15th hole on the dvr, then finished watching over breakfast this morning. I was glad to see Sergio win it. While watching the Masters I couldn't help but think that I'm glad I'm dedicating more time to practicing my putting. I don't remember those greens at Augusta being this punishing. Anybody else feel the same way? I liked the way it ended with that playoff between those two great players. So fitting that it was Seve's 60th birthday, too.

I can't remember who said it in a post round interview Saturday, maybe Spieth? It was said that the greens were already beginning to bake out. Browning was pretty apparent when they showed aerial views of the course yesterday.

6 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

First off...was glad to see Sergio win. The Masters is my favorite tournament all year (as I sure it is with most of you). That being said, I always thought what made the Masters great was the fact that guys could really make a charge on the back 9. Since they "Tiger Proofed" the course, you just don't see those really low rounds on Sunday to make that Charge. 65 and 66 was pretty common before the course changes but now your lucky if you get a 67 or 68. Still the best tournament however.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. Phil shot a 29 to win. Charl birdied last 4. Kim had 11 birdies once. Willett shot a good final round last year. There are many more to name.

Trollin' is the life

41 minutes ago, Infamous 273 said:

I can't remember who said it in a post round interview Saturday, maybe Spieth? It was said that the greens were already beginning to bake out. Browning was pretty apparent when they showed aerial views of the course yesterday.

I caught a pre 1st round tv moment, and I noticed some browning already taking place. It might of had something to do with the par 3 shin dig. I didn't pay that much attention, other than noticing the brown turf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

30 minutes ago, Patch said:

I caught a pre 1st round tv moment, and I noticed some browning already taking place. It might of had something to do with the par 3 shin dig. I didn't pay that much attention, other than noticing the brown turf. 

Are we talking about the same course? Not saying you're wrong, but IMO the course and greens looked as good as ever.

That said it's been a hot Spring in the South with several 80+ degree days over the past couple of months so I guess it's possible the bent grass has struggled a bit.

Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!