IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

1. JS is a, but not the favorite even though Augusta has a little bit of history of throwing up couple of jackets in quick succession on the backs of particular players. Effect of his blowup last year are blown up, IMO. But yes, it WILL be the best story in golf if he wins. 'Redemption of golf's wonder boy'... or something along those lines does have a good ring to it.

2. Yup, DJ is king in every sense. My money is on him. It is interesting how JS, JD and DJ all have gone on Tiger like streaks (on a much smaller scale) in the last couple of three years, but only DJ has more continuous winning years than anybody on tour currently and I think he comes closest to showing Tiger like sustenance. What is amazing is that his game does not seem like it's maxed out yet like the other two, physically or otherwise. Not forgetting Rory and  will not mind a bit if it is his jacket this year.

Spieth is the betting favorite. Augusta is a different animal. Putting and short game there are really emphasized. I don't trust DJ when he has many 6-10 foot par putts and driving accuracy isn't as big of a deal in Augusta. I like Spieth to get it done this year. As you said the course likes to give repeaters to players in a short time.

• Upvote 1

Trollin' is the life

2 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

I don't really have a good answer to this. I do love watching his drives, though. I think I more prefer the players that actually show some level of excitement after a good shot/putt. He "acts like he's been there" (which he has, duh lol) but from my entertainment perspective I love the fist pumps, the dances, etc. I guess I'm weird like that lol. Jordan gets pretty excited, Day gets mildly excited, Ricky gets excited, Dustin does not.

I can certainly see where you are coming from, I love the younger guys and the emotion they show. I understand how Dustin's lack of emotion can be boring, but on the other side, in some ways I try to replicate his behavior when I am on the course, good shot or bad shot he stays pretty even keel, might not make the best entertainment to watch, but certainly helps his golf game. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Spieth is the betting favorite. Augusta is a different animal. Putting and short game there are really emphasized. I don't trust DJ when he has many 6-10 foot par putts and driving accuracy isn't as big of a deal in Augusta. I like Spieth to get it done this year. As you said the course likes to give repeaters to players in a short time.

Your choice. He did win at Oakmont. Not exactly a gimme putting course yes?

Ok, accuracy no biggie. But how about length diff? Length, especially DJ type length is a plus at ANY course. Spieth will be spotting him in the neighborhood of 25 yards a pop with the driver. And he is straighter. If that's not bad enough DJ's iron/wedge game is as good as any at the moment.  

I root for JS as much as DJ. No bad choices for me but I don't see anybody better than DJ on paper.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

9 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Ok, accuracy no biggie. But how about length diff? Length, especially DJ type length is a plus at ANY course. Spieth will be spotting him in the neighborhood of 25 yards a pop with the driver. And he is straighter. If that's not bad enough DJ's iron/wedge game is as good as any at the moment.  

I root for JS as much as DJ. No bad choices for me but I don't see anybody better than DJ on paper.

Oddsmakers have Spieth the betting favorite and DJ is right behind. I'm not saying DJ can't win there but it is a right to left golf course which is opposite of his current ball flight off the tee. He does lead the place in eagles lately. Sure he  be past Spieth off the tee but it is coming down to short game and getting up and down for pars. DJ had a pretty low stress final round at Oakmont other than the penatly. Even when he hit a wayward drive he was bailed out by TV camera tower. DJ putting under pressure you don't have to go any further than US Open year before or St Andrews. It will be a fun watch and discussion until the tournament is over.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

On 2/23/2017 at 9:13 AM, iacas said:

Some questions to kick off the run-up to and playing of the 2017 Masters Toonamint at Augusta National:

1. Is Jordan Spieth the favorite to win after his collapse last year? Is it the best story in golf?
  2. If not Jordan, how about Dustin Johnson?
  3. Will Tiger Woods make the cut? Will he play? Will he surprise everyone (likely including himself at this point) and finish in the top ten? If he skips this tournament, will this be the last time anyone really cares?
  4. Last year's winner Danny Willett… does he contend again, or will his drop in play (evident at the Ryder Cup) continue?

Ask any other questions you may have, and answer them, too. :-)

1.  No, I don't think he will win.

2.  DJ has a good chance, but I am hoping Rory comes back strong and completes his career Grand Slam.

3.  IMHO, Tiger is done.  He will not make it to the weekend, if he even plays.

4.  Danny will NOT contend this year.  He seems to have sort of faded away.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On 2/24/2017 at 0:28 PM, MuniGrit said:

I completely agree with this, I think Spieth will win. Its seems a lot of people in this thread are writing him off and just saying top 10. I would say if he does not win he is in the final pairing on Sunday and is top 3. I really do think it will come down to who can play under the pressure in the short game the best. Both DJ and Spieth wins this year did not have a lot of pressure on them. Spieth has been in 3 masters and has never finnished outside the top 2 so I think the trend will continue. 

I do think Hideki Matsuyama will be the "odd man out" thats in contention this year.

Edited by sirsteveo55

Let me just say that you are all crazy for thinking Spieth isn't the favorite. The guy has played in 3 Masters in his career, and he's finished behind a total 2 people in those 3 tournaments, combined. Plus, he seems like he's closer to his 2015 form than 2016 form. I find it hard to look past him for this tournament at this point. He's got such a well rounded game that is perfect for a place like Augusta.

• Upvote 3

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 2/24/2017 at 1:17 PM, GolfLug said:

This is looking like a good chance year for DJ, Rory, and Jordan. DJ's putting and short game seem much sharper than in years past, and Rory's resurrected his putter. Should be interesting!

Kevin

Matsuyama is my choice this year.  He's been so hot this year in tee to green SG.  His putting though is worrisome.  I'd like to see Jordan in it again but I think the pressure and nightmares of yesteryear will get to him a little.  You can never count DJ out.  DJ has been really hot with his drives and that can give you a huge advantage at Augusta and his putting has gotten so much better over the last year and a half.  Fowler is hot this week, but he's always been a hot/cold golfer, so we'll see.  McIlroy just hasn't shown us anything really special recently, so I can't see him contending.  If Day is healthy and playing to his former glory, he can definitely put on a show, but I don't think he's in top shape yet.  TW is either not playing or will WD.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 2/25/2017 at 1:30 PM, Yukari said:

1.  No, I don't think he will win.

2.  DJ has a good chance, but I am hoping Rory comes back strong and completes his career Grand Slam.

3.  IMHO, Tiger is done.  He will not make it to the weekend, if he even plays.

4.  Danny will NOT contend this year.  He seems to have sort of faded away.

Ditto, agreed

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My gut feel is that Spieth won't do so hot. I don't really have any reasoning. Ditto for Willett. (Well, the reason there is just that he's never shown since then that he can consistently compete.)

I'm sure Dustin will be right there. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Here are some predictions.....

1.  PMick plays in one of the two final groups on Sunday

2.  Danny Willett will miss the cut and be seen on Atlanta strip club scene on Friday and Saturday night

3.  Tiger shows up and makes two early birdies in round one to stir up the golf world, but ends up shooting 74-75 to miss cut

4.  Freddy Couples has a top 10 finish

5.  Adam Scott is your winner and Stevie is quoted as saying "it is clear, I am the greatest of all time."

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Willett couldn't have timed that win last year better. He has been bad since having bug distractions at home. He shoots 80 in a round this year. Wildcard flyer winner is Kisner.

Trollin' is the life

18 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Let me just say that you are all crazy for thinking Spieth isn't the favorite. The guy has played in 3 Masters in his career, and he's finished behind a total 2 people in those 3 tournaments, combined. Plus, he seems like he's closer to his 2015 form than 2016 form. I find it hard to look past him for this tournament at this point. He's got such a well rounded game that is perfect for a place like Augusta.

Good point

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Mark my word. DJ wont win at augusta. Just dont see him winning there. On paper he should be able to but theres just something that gives me feeling he wont. Probably his putting more than anything even though hes better.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Aflighter said:

Mark my word. DJ wont win at augusta. Just dont see him winning there. On paper he should be able to but theres just something that gives me feeling he wont. Probably his putting more than anything even though hes better.

He has finished top 13 three of the last four years, including T6 and T4 the last two.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

He has finished top 13 three of the last four years, including T6 and T4 the last two.

I don't think he will win because of his short game but he has played well there. I mentioned earlier he leads everyone in eagles made in past few years.

Trollin' is the life

7 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

I don't think he will win because of his short game but he has played well there. I mentioned earlier he leads everyone in eagles made in past few years.

That's the thing, DJ can get into such a ball-striking and driving zone that if he can hit that top level, he'd only need average putting (even at Augusta) to win.  It seems like he's figured out the course to some extent, given his good finishes in recent years.

Note: This thread is 2507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!