Sign in to follow this  
iacas

When Did You Sell Out?

109 posts / 9155 viewsLast Reply

I read a story on another topic about how a guy bought a rangefinder and, being old school, deemed this "selling out."

So, I thought it would be a good topic. What sort of changes to your swing / clubs / balls / etc. have made you feel like you've sold off a part of your golfing soul?

It could be buying a set of game-improvement clubs, replacing your 5-iron with a hybrid, buying a push-cart (or selling it in favor of riding in a cart), aiming 40 yards left to accommodate for the slice you've given up on fixing… or a million things I haven't mentioned here.

What has made you feel that you've sold out a little?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

This year I've gone all-in on the push cart lifestyle. My back thanks me. And you know, I really don't think it looks goofy anymore. 

Now you kids better get off my lawn!

Somewhere along the way I went form carrying a one iron to my longest iron being a six. So I guess carrying a 3, 4 & 5 hybrid is the sell out. Or I'm old. Or both.

When I first joined TST, I carried a 3i. It got mainly used as a driving iron on tight holes.

Finally, I swapped it out for a 4 Hybrid.  I felt slightly less a golfer for the first few months. :~( It was kind of like in 1994 when I bought a new iron set without a 2i !

But, the 4H proved more reliable than a 3i, and more versatile (it also can be used for chipping on moon-crater greenside lies).

I really embraced hybrids, however, once I swapped the Adams 4H for the FlyZ 4H with a slightly heavier shaft. It bridges the 19* FW and the irons nicely. And, it's a welcome tee-off tool on hellish, super-tight par 4s. :-D

26 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I don't think a push cart is selling out. I started using one this year as well. 

Everyone's gonna have their own points at which they've sold out. For some it might be using steel shafted clubs. ;-)

Thought provoking question, thanks. I look forward to others responses.

This year our senior golf club asked the membership which set of tees each of us felt most comfortable playing. The choices were 6,300-6,400, 5,900-6,100 and 5,500 or so. For the past 10 years I have played the A Flight at the longer tees with reasonable success.  Depending on the course, weather, etc...at times recently I have felt over matched.

So I responded that the 5,900-6,100 was my preference. Now I am playing the shorter tees and feeling a bit like a sell out.

39 minutes ago, jamo said:

This year I've gone all-in on the push cart lifestyle. My back thanks me. And you know, I really don't think it looks goofy anymore. 

Now you kids better get off my lawn!

Read more  

This is what first came to mind for me. Though I can say I got some of my golfing soul back by walking more :-D

I'll go with getting a push cart. Im not carrying the bag. 

Edited by saevel25

I have both 4i and 4H. Rarely use 4H. Will feel like a sell out when I go to the 4H full time. Nothing yet though. All heart and soul so far.

I don't think of anything in golf as a sell out.   If it helps me or is more convenient, I'm all for it.   I have hybrids, play the appropriate tees and sometimes the forward tees and when I walk, I have a cart.   

Edited by dennyjones

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This is what first came to mind for me. Though I can say I got some of my golfing soul back by walking more :-D

I'll go with getting a push cart. Im not carrying the bag. 

I honestly don't know why I waited so long. I'm so much fresher by the end of the round now, my back doesn't ache, and I don't have to constantly pick it up and put it down. 

Probably the only thing that has ever made me feel this way is just not playing the back tees sometimes, when they are not that long to begin with.  

I remember very clearly having this feeling about using my first Titanium driver. It was ENORMOUSLY larger than my previous driver and it felt like cheating.

Interestingly since that point there haven't been many times I felt this way. Kinda with the Pro V1 when it first came out it also felt like a big technology jump. 

Haha I sold out the day I started playing golf. I was 25 years old, spring of 2008. I was hooked right away, and I've been a proud sell out ever since. 

I sold my stand bag and bought a cart bag...basically admitting I'm never going to carry my clubs (I do walk whenever possible, but use a push-cart).

9 minutes ago, jamo said:

I honestly don't know why I waited so long. I'm so much fresher by the end of the round now, my back doesn't ache, and I don't have to constantly pick it up and put it down. 

Cuz they're not cool.

Or so my college kids say… until they have to play four rounds in four days with them. ;-)