Sign in to follow this  
iacas

When Did You Sell Out?

109 posts / 9052 viewsLast Reply

On 7/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Seems odd to me but the two brands of balls I find most are ProV-1's and Top Flites!

I got a good laugh at that one......  Our back deck is about 50 feet from the green on a local course, and I am amazed since the golf season started how many ProV-1's I find in either our back yard, side yard and sometimes on windy days the front yard.  

My total sell out moment might be yesterday when I ordered a University of Texas golf bag.  Just because we live in New York, doesn't mean I am not still a proud UT alum :)

utbag.jpg

Edited by scotth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

On 7/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Really? You don't find enough Top Flites lying around on the course? Seems odd to me but the two brands of balls I find most are ProV-1's and Top Flites!

Yep. Those two. We have some ball-losing sun of a gun that plays orange Nitros.  Borderline littering really.

This year I have only played modern clubs and actually upgraded the whole bag except for the hybrids, which I had already "sold out" to several years ago.  Game improvement irons, more modern putter, more wedges, bigger driver, newer 3 wood.

I haven't played blades and lumber since last fall. (They were always for fun; I didn't think I deserved them or played better with them)

I have never been a huge walker, though I did enjoy it when I did; even about 5 years ago I had started walking more. I have a knee that really prohibits that anymore.

Edited by dbuck

The first time I saw somebody playing cavity back irons (ping eye), I told them that it would destroy their swing because they wouldn't know when they hit it off center. In high school and college, I carried a 1 iron thru SW.  Now my longest iron is a 6 iron. I used to use an 8802 putter. Now I have a rotation of putters that are all forgiving. I thought range finders would slow down the game. Now I am ranging yardages from 40 yds out. I guess I have slowly sold out over the years.

For me it is when I got busy - have stopped actively trying to get better - just trying to maintain my game. I've never got hung up or upset about golf, but to be consciously not trying to get better (no lessons, little practice etc) feels like selling out.

I use a push cart (for about the past couple years) and I don't think that would be considered selling out. Maybe switching my three and four irons to hybrids? Actually I would have to say I no longer play in any sort of bad weather. I used to go out on windy, cold days but don't anymore. I live in Florida....it will be nice tomorrow.

In July of this year I sold out on three things:

1.  One plane swing

2.  Ten finger grip

3.  Single length irons

Weirdly, when I started hitting driver as often as possible. I used to really think about laying up off the tee on certain holes, playing hybrid or 3 wood. Having re-read LSW, I rethought that and committed to hitting driver on every hole I could. Makes the thought process easier, scores better and makes me think that I've sold out slightly...

I bought an interim putter to replace my ancient 1980s Ping Anser putter which is just too light for me, saw this on sale for $40, the kicker that got me was the adjustable weights, can get close to 400 grams. This is a no name, no endorsements putter, but at least it's designed and made in the last couple of years and will offer more experience with a heavier head. Did not even bother demoing it.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/putters/cure-golf-cx2-putter/

Weird - 

Feel like I'm selling myself out when I'm playing a course below 6500 yds unless I'm doing it for a change of pace, to play different clubs. Played a 6800 yd course in wet conditions, no roll, and except for par 3's, might have hit one GIR per round. That waas tough - then 420-450 yd par 4's - hitting your approach from 160-200 yards, it's tough. 

The other sellout was ultrialite shafts - 45g driver shafts, 50g hybrids, 50g fairways ... they did not seem to fit.

Going heavier has its advantages - consistency. Now have 55g driver, 55 n 65g faiways, 75 g hybrids, and thinking of 89g irons instead of 76g irons. 

Going back to slightly heavier and playing challenging tees feels more pure...

sold out again yesterday.

I downloaded a GPS Golf App to my phone- a free one. Surely a paid app and a rangefinder are not far behind. I am a total sell out. Next I will be buying training aids.

Last season I started playing from the white tees. I finally gave up on the idea that I was going to "pull it all together" and drive 270 consistently. My enjoyment of the game skyrocketed. 

This season I will start using a push cart and invest in a few hybrids to replace the 3i and 4i. 

I sold out when I bought a push cart. Said I wouldn't do it prior to turning 50, got one at 40. Sold out again this summer, I swore I would never use the umbrella attachment on my cart to put an umbrella up to block the sun, well, I was cooler in the shade. 

First  460 CC driver......Mizuno MP001.....went from a driver about half it's size.  Felt like I was cheating the game.....but I was easily hitting it 20 yards futher than my other driver.......and it helped me catch up to the pack.  Now it's just common place, but I remember fighting every step of the way at the time.  Also, the massive pricetag was by far the most I had ever spent on a club.  

Was at the PGA Superstore and found the green/white UA shirt I wanted, in my size and on sale. Sold out immediately. Can no longer make fun of Under Armour. 

I guess for me, I sold out when I changed golf balls. I've played the Pro-V-1X for years. This summer I switched to the Taylormade TP5X (another "tour" ball). Now I'm playing the Callaway SuperSoft. Mainly because it works better with my senior swing speed.