IGNORED

Poll: How hard do you swing?

Note:Β This thread is 2474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

How hard to do to normally (full) swing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How hard do you normally (full) swing?

• 100%
    • 90-99%
    • 80-89%
    • 70-79%
    • less than 70%

Probably 80-90. When my tempo is there, I feel as if, I can go back nice and easy on the back swing and after transition, go at it as hard as I want. Sometimes, I have found that this can even help cure a "bad day" and help you get back into sync. When I try to "baby" it, I just tense up. Β "swing easy - hit hard".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

Probably 80-90. When my tempo is there, I feel as if, I can go back nice and easy on the back swing and after transition, go at it as hard as I want. Sometimes, I have found that this can even help cure a "bad day" and help you get back into sync. When I try to "baby" it, I just tense up. Β "swing easy - hit hard".

I oughta try that... I used to swing really hard... Now I'm more in tempo with my backswing, maybe if my transistion is smooth, I can go after it a little more on the downswing.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I chose 80-89%. But....it's hard to put into words the effort. I don't ever consciously swing hard/harderΒ unless it's in some deeper thick grass. Swinging hard brings to mind tense body, no bueno for me. Take away is relatively slow, core loads up, then I let go with the downswing. Track man had me at 95-98 mph average 6 months ago and that pretty much jives with my carry. But it doesn't feel like I'm going all out.

6 hours ago, Midpack said:

Exactly where I think I've been at for the past several weeks. Going to the driving range today to slow it down, and play accordingly next week.

No surprise, but much better at the driving range this morning. Still missed a few, but noticeably more straight and dispersion on the face of my driver was definitely tighter/more centered. And it didn't seem to cost much if any distance. I don't know how many times I have to relearn this most

basic lesson - too soon old, too late smart...:8)

Right now being new I'm on of the ones below 70 percent. Β Just working on getting it right first.

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid.....Β 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

Β 

Β 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Jackal1966 said:

It may sound misleading, but Β my 100% golf swing is only 80% of my full body Β power.

I should have made it clear in post #1 that 100% was meant to represent as hard as you can swing, and even that is somewhat subjective. Your response would have then been 80%.

Edited by Midpack

I got at it when I get over the ball.

My practice swings are about 85% with great tempo. Β But when I get over the ball, I try to become the Hulk and crush it.

I'm currently working on getting myself to swing at 85% over the ball. Β I've noticed I hit it farther because I'm making better contact.

I would say about 80%. If I swing harder, I lose coordination and balance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Difficult to put in percentages because of the reasons already touched on, but if I express as a percentage of how hard I COULD swing while keeping my balance and Β making (some sort of) contact, then I'd probably say about 75-80%.Β 

Driver carries ~215 , 5 iron ~150 so while I don't have a distance problem, I know that at some point I can gain yardage when I'm comfortable swinging faster, but probably not that much.

I find that, the more difficult the shot (bad lie, tricky club etc) , the more I benefit from deliberately keeping it slow.Β 

Maybe I'm overthinking, but I wonder if there shouldn't have been a poll option like "impossible to answer."Β Β 

I think I don't use my lower body enough.Β Β  So I am trying put what feels like 100% effort into my lower body, and what feels like 75% effort into my upper body.Β  I'm swinging 100% in one place and 75% in another place.Β 

Also, it seems to me that if you hit the ball farther with what feels like 80% effort than you do with what feels like 100% effort, then you must be mistaken about those percentages.Β  Perhaps it feels like 80% but in actuality, you're just making a better swing.Β 

I know, I know, too much thinking.Β Β  It's a simple question.Β Β  I'd say 90%.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Marty2019

I have this basic issue in trying to smash everything out of the park in any sport I play.Β  I should probably work on that but swinging all out, when I get it right is absolutely brilliant.Β  I get the distance and the control.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Any shot that I don't have to play for feel (<100 yard shots) I do at ~90%. Β It's as fast as I can swing while knowing that my fundamentals are as good as I can currently make them. Β There are times in a scramble where we have another player'sΒ shot that's really good that I normally can't hit past (no point laying up, we have a better shot and I can't swing "normal" as it still wouldn't be a better shot) so I can swing harder that I sometimes get all of my mechanics good enough to swing 100%.

I generally go pretty close to my max just because it's harder for me to feel comfortable with percentages with all of my clubs and the distances that they go. Β I practice my 1/2, 3/4, etc wedges enough to be comfortable there, but giving a 3/4 of 90% makes it hard for me to trust those distances as much with where I'm at currently with my game. Β Depending on the situation, I can move each club's distance up or down a club (i.e. hit my 7 iron like a 6 or 8 iron if the conditions require it) which is good enough but if I'm just trying to hit my distances I go with 90% power.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;Β  Β Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;Β  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Β 

Can't answer that as each shot is whatever I think I need.

But, If I'm between clubs, I'd rather put a little extra into the shorter club than try to lay off the longer one.Β  It works better for me by a LOT.

Bill -Β 

Probably in the mid to high 70% range. I don't swing the club that fast, preferring instead a nice easy tempo, that I can repeat more often. This, for my full swings.Β 

When I get to my finesse shots, the speed of my swing will change as needed, but still nothing over 70%. Most of the time, the length of my back swing, and follow through is what changes the most for the shot at hand.Β 

Usually, the only time I swing as fast as I can is on the driving range. I do this for my swing muscles, while not caring how far, or where the ball goes. Funny thing is I can still remember the last time I went Β all out during a round with a tee shot. It was probably 7 or 8 years ago at a course outside of Ft Worth. Went 290 yards.Β :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think at go at it fairly hard most times. When swinging well and faced with a tweener, I favor under-clubbing so I can swing hard without apprehension. Having said that I do not wear gloves (except for rain gloves when raining) and do not have any blisters or callouses, so I would think it is controlled enough though.

Vishal S.

Note:Β This thread is 2474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!