IGNORED

Neither Rory Nor JDay Will Win Another Major

Seals
Note:Β This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Rory and JDay  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rory and JDay win another major?

• Yes, one or both of them will win another major (post-2017)
    • No, neither will win another major

I've been vocal on here about how I feel on the future of Rory's career. I actually think JDay has a higher probability of winning a major again than Rory does, but yea, I don't think either one wins another.

Rory has built one of the best driver swing the game has ever seen...the problem isΒ he now can't take that swing and hit the ball of the ground -Β he's DFL on tour from 120-140 yards. That's a big problem considering he has that distance more often than not on his approach shots thanks to his bombed drives. Layer on his health issues, poor putting, and potential lack of hunger, and I don't see him winning another major. I also think he's severely downplayed his health issues to get/maintain sponsor $$s (I don't blame him, plenty of players do)...I'm guessing TaylorMade will soon be regretting their $100M investment in him if they're not already.

I think JDay still has the drive to win and obviously the all around game...to me it's a question if his health holds up and unfortunately I don't think it will. I'm not a big Rory fan, I like JDay a lot, so I hope I'm wrong.

Β 

Edited by skydog

8 minutes ago, Seals said:

Dominated the Ryder cup? He actually didn't make a birdie on that back nine vs Reed. He did have a good fedex cup run and I think it was the 10 million dollars that made him get "up" for the event.

He birdied 18 no?Β  And getting 3/5 points at the Ryder Cup is pretty good...I think he had to play pretty decent all year to be in the running for the FedEx cup to eventually win it too didn't he?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Seals said:

Dominated the Ryder cup? He actually didn't make a birdie on that back nine vs Reed. He did have a good fedex cup run and I think it was the 10 million dollars that made him get "up" for the event.

Ryder Cup was already over, really, by that point. I think you forget how dominant Rory was on Friday on Saturday.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

11 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

He birdied 18 no?Β  And getting 3/5 points at the Ryder Cup is pretty good...I think he had to play pretty decent all year to be in the running for the FedEx cup to eventually win it too didn't he?

It was conceded after Reed made his birdie to win the match. It was about 8 foot putt.

10 minutes ago, skydog said:

I've been vocal on here about how I feel on the future of Rory's career. I actually think JDay has a higher probability of winning a major again than Rory does, but yea, I don't think either one wins another.

Rory has built one of the best driver swing the game has ever seen...the problem isΒ he now can't take that swing and hit the ball of the ground -Β he's DFL on tour from 120-140 yards. That's a big problem considering he has that distance more often than not on his approach shots thanks to his bombed drives. Layer on his health issues, poor putting, and potential lack of hunger, and I don't see him winning another major. I also think he's severely downplayed his health issues to get/maintain sponsor $$s (I don't blame him, plenty of players do)...I'm guessing TaylorMade will soon be regretting their $100M investment in him if they're not already.

I think JDay still has the drive to win and obviously the all around game...to me it's a question if his health holds up and unfortunately I don't think it will. I'm not a big Rory fan, I like JDay a lot, so I hope I'm wrong.

Β 

He also has the 4th fewest attempts out of anyone on that list at 46 from that distance.Β  I agree this is a pretty bad stat on his part, but he did go from 999 to 202 in a week...so things are looking up I would say.Β  He ranks 5th from approaches >200 yards too.Β  I think its crazy to think that neither will win another major, but I have seen crazier things happen.

Of the two Rory is more likely to win a major and if both win Rory will likely win more majors than Day.

My logic is very simple. Β Rory has far greater upside thanks to the fact that his putting is weaker and he is currently not striking his short irons with the same precision he showed while winning his majors.

I can see Rory getting himself to 8 to 10 majors. Β I think he has become like Tiger in the sense that his only motivation now is his legacy and winning majors. Β Money is not enough of a motivation which is why I think him winning the Fedex cup was a show of how well he can play rather than how he can get motivated.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

5 hours ago, Seals said:

2015 masters he finished 6 shots back.

2015 US OpenΒ he finished 5 shots back.Β 

2016 Masters he finished 6 shots back.

2016 Open he finished 16 SHOTS back.

2017 Masters he finished 6 shots back.

2017 Open he finished 7 shots back.Β 

He didn't contend in a single one of those tournaments on Sunday.

Which is why I said not exactly. Even when he gets off to a slow start heΒ can still get inside the top 10 or top 5. Only a few playersΒ are having that kind of consistency in majors.Β 

Rory has won 4 majors (two of them by 8 shots), he's 28,Β currently 4th in the world, hits it really far and in play off the tee, so yeah I think he's going to keep giving himself some realistic chances at winning another one.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I'll take that bet. Plenty of golf in front of these guys, and they can both dominate when the pieces come together.Β 

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

12 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I'll take that bet. Plenty of golf in front of these guys, and they can both dominate when the pieces come together.Β 

Oh I agree, but the question isn't can they, it's will they? And from what I'm seeing/reading/feeling....I just don't think either one of them really have that fire left.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I have a hard time believing that Rory is done winning majors. Β Some have suggested that he's lost his fire. Β I'd say it is just as reasonable to suggest that he's had too much and needs to stop trying to win the tournament on Thursday. Β  No offense, @Vinsk you posted while I was typing.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Piz
Addendum

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

40 minutes ago, Piz said:

I have a hard time believing that Rory is done winning majors. Β Some have suggested that he's lost his fire. Β I'd say it is just as reasonable to suggest that he's had too much and needs to stop trying to win the tournament on Thursday. Β  No offense, @Vinsk you posted while I was typing.

Β 

Β 

Β 

No problem. Yeah I mean I'd like to think that as well. But my concern is that...he's young. And I don't mean to sound like the 'I walked up hill both ways to school' dude, but the 'healthy' thing is a bit irritating to me. I've been in full contact, high intensity sports. Never, never in my 20's would an injury at the level of what Rory has had be a deterrent for me. I mean ....cracked rib? Come on.... I know the younger generation is really soft on average...but I can't imagine sprains, aches ...minor injuries such as Rory, DJ's back (give me a break)...actually effecting my drive to play. If Rory REALLY wanted to win and was passionate..he would win...or come damn close...he's that good. But he isn't. And I don't see him being real bummed about it. It's more of a ..' Yeah.oh well...the game is there..but just not putting it all together....hey..did you see the Real Madrid game the other day?" Β Pure speculation and opinion...but just the feeling I get with Rory and Day both.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Both will win more. In fact, if there's a money on one of them winning a major in 2018, I'm all in.

Now if the question is will either of them win one after 2024, I would vote no. I think both guys are going to struggle to win majors once they hit their mid-30s and beyond.

I'll go a hundee...neither Rory or Day wins a major in 2018....

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Too much parity on the Tour to take that bet. I'm pretty confident that they'll both win majors again, but I ain't ready to bet on a single year.Β 

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

What's a 'hundee' worth? Is that Florida currency?Β :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

What's a 'hundee' worth? Is that Florida currency?Β :-P

LOL...No, that would be a "Peso".

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

No problem. Yeah I mean I'd like to think that as well. But my concern is that...he's young. And I don't mean to sound like the 'I walked up hill both ways to school' dude, but the 'healthy' thing is a bit irritating to me. I've been in full contact, high intensity sports. Never, never in my 20's would an injury at the level of what Rory has had be a deterrent for me. I mean ....cracked rib? Come on.... I know the younger generation is really soft on average...but I can't imagine sprains, aches ...minor injuries such as Rory, DJ's back (give me a break)...actually effecting my drive to play. If Rory REALLY wanted to win and was passionate..he would win...or come damn close...he's that good. But he isn't. And I don't see him being real bummed about it. It's more of a ..' Yeah.oh well...the game is there..but just not putting it all together....hey..did you see the Real Madrid game the other day?" Β Pure speculation and opinion...but just the feeling I get with Rory and Day both.

Were you playing those sports at a professional level?

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

That is a different bet/topic than this thread - I would likely make a bet that any individual player or two wouldn't win a major in 2018 (especially at even money). Heck, I'd probably go tree fiddy.

Players play, tough players win!

Note:Β This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!